Triumph of New Moral Center?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"...and that race will be a test for every Democratic leader. Will they come to support Lamont and the new energy, the new ideas, the new moral center that he represents? Or will they offer nominal support but stay away, refusing to challenge Lieberman’s low-road campaign? Their reactions will be a true measure of who is ready to fight for a new direction for this country and who is not."

- Robert L. Borsage

Read more:

A reason to hope?

This is from TomPaine.com which many of you, no doubt, have read already. But I thought it perhaps boded well for the future of things generally.

Lieberman gets a run for his money. Joe? You've just fallen off your fence.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was really heartened to read about Lieberman's primary loss this morning. I hope it means that the Democrats will finally wake up and realize that there are a lot of us out there that are not being represented by the current politics of either party. As much as many would like to deny it, Lieberman's loss signals that those of us who want a quick end to our presence in Iraq as well as other progressive reforms are less and less of a "fringe" every day.

And now, I'd like to cordially invite every one who complained about Ralph Nader's "divisive" presidential run to soundly condemn Lieberman's decision to run as an independent. :tongue:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, that was actually my first thought when I heard he was running as an independant. At least Nader (however goofy) had something different to offer.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Stronzo said:
That's all I'd ask Rubirosa.

And I'm willing to willingly condemn Joe as of this moment Matthew.

It's interesting, isn't it? I read today that many of the top Democrats are rallying behind Lamont. Theoretically, Lieberman's candidacy could have the same effect as some said Nader's did - splitting the Democratic vote and making the Republican more likely to win. We'll see ...

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Matthew said:
It's interesting, isn't it? I read today that many of the top Democrats are rallying behind Lamont. Theoretically, Lieberman's candidacy could have the same effect as some said Nader's did - splitting the Democratic vote and making the Republican more likely to win. We'll see ...

Ah, the sweet sound of victory!

Lieberman first showed us all what a power hungry creature he was back in 2000 when he insisted on running for both V.P. and Senator (in a re-election). I wish Ned Lamont a good run but Lieberman may well have sealed the fate of every Democrat here in Connecticut. Democrats are going to divide themselves at the polls in a way which is far different from the Nader Presidential situation.

Here there is a choice between a Democrat who has won the primary and the Democrat who is still hanging around but just grabbing a new party to run with. People who have supported Lieberman will in many cases continue to do so and this will reduce the number of votes which Lamont will receive. Final outcome: Republicans sail to victory thanks to Lieberman's greed for power. It would be interesting to see Schlesinger win...if only for the hillarity of saying Senator Schlesinger (it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue easily). Additionally a Schlesinger win would be an even stronger way of sending a message over to the lackluster Democrats which might be the slap in the face they need to wake up.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
MMM, as much as I hate to agree with you, I must. You'd think the dems would have had enough slaps, but it seems thier tolerance is quite high.:rolleyes:

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Simply put, I think we need the strongest, loudest progressive voice representing the Democractic party. We tried being lite-Republicans or lite-centrists and that just backfired on us. I think we really have to campaign to show how different we are because I, too, think progressives are increasingly unafraid of showing how much they hate the war, tax breaks reserved for a handful of rich bastards, and need to repair international ties and stop being busibodies to handle domestic issues more efficiently.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I agree completely, Dee. And it would be really great if the Dems had a leader who could champion those progressive views and at the same time possessed the skill to reach out to and pacify some of the more timid among their base. But maybe that's too much to ask.

madame_zora said:
MMM, as much as I hate to agree with you, I must. You'd think the dems would have had enough slaps, but it seems their tolerance is quite high.:rolleyes:

Time to stop turning the other cheek? :wink:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lieberman's showing his true colors by registering to run as an Independent and thus likely handing the election to whatever Republican challenger shows up. Its all about Joe, ya know.

I say: Good riddance to the likes of Lieberman.