TROJAN XL condom is a marketing gimmick

freakassoid

Experimental Member
Media
Yes these are total hype, I bought a dozen of them because I thought they were actually EXTRA Large they are extremely difficult to get on my penis. I think they are solely to make avg guys feel larger!

Mmmmmm . . . sounds like I need to get your phone number. :biggrin1:

DeepCurve

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to use Magnums but prefer the XL's. Less constricting = more comfortable.

But we have to expect that any kind of "large" size is going to represent an incremental increase over average, not a quantum leap. Condom companies are trying to make money. If they made a "Hindenburg" brand that was absolutely enormous, who would they sell it to? The portion of the condom-buying public that could wear it would be too small to warrant general distribution. I recall seeing some statistics somewhere showing that large-sized condoms represented less than 10% of total sales. Not to mention that they might get accused of SPH, or face product liability lawsuits for marketing a product unsuitable for its intended use, etc.

B_andyo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont know what you guys do to the condoms... But I have used hundreds of them and havent broke a single one.. I just don't know.... and I am over 6 incher in girth.

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Has anyone elss noticed that the TROJAN Extra Large condom really isn't that much bigger than a regular size condom...? It's about 1 inch longer, and just a little bit wider. I think this really is designed to give average size guys the impression that they qualify as "Extra Large"...any thoughts...?
:smile:
Oh Dakota....what aint a marketing gimmick no days:biggrin1:
I will agree with you...and the are indeed longer...trust me I know.
But moreso, what kinda bothers me is that they are marketed more so to/for the blacks...and they are expensive...the price seems to me has gone up from about $5.00 for a box of 6 when 1st came out to now as much as $22.00 a box with taxes for about 12.
Piss me off!
Short story: I walked in the drug strore in town to buy a box of condoms.
I had to ask for them cause they were behind the count.
Now, mind you, I didn't get to say the brand I wanted to this
"white" store clerk before he grab the Extra Large Magnum
put them in front of me to purchased.
They are what I wanted, but he didn't know for sure what
size or brand I wanted...he assumed & judged cause I am
a black male... I got a big peter to fit the product:rolleyes:.
I was mildly offended and embrassed cause there was a
female or 2 in line behind me looking at right at what I was
buyin.
If there was this line behind me, I would have played with this
clerk's mind and said...No let me get the new supper-horse
size condoms...that's bigger then those!:biggrin1::biggrin1:
So yea, so people came fall weak to marketing tricks.
By the, I can also wear the plain old Life Styles condom just as well as long as they are with lube.They may not fit all the way down my johnson for the full lenght....but the most important part is covered:wink: I tells
my sons the same damn thing...women know this little factor.
Thx for making the pt in more ways than one.

Lampwick

Experimental Member
Media
By the, I can also wear the plain old Life Styles condom just as well as long as they are with lube.They may not fit all the way down my johnson for the full lenght....but the most important part is covered:wink: I tells
my sons the same damn thing...women know this little factor.
I think that Planned Parenthood would differ with you on this point. They recommend that a condom be rolled all the way down the shaft, and that you hold the condom against the base of the penis while you pull out.

Planned Parenthood - The Condom

So does Trojan:

Trojan Brand Condoms

(See "How to Use a Condom" there.)

D_Kirkhaus Komandohanger

Just Browsing
Media
This is one of the most annoying myths related to having a big penis that I keep encountering over and over again.

The penis is extremely sensitive with tons of nerve endings. Feeling a condom that is too tight is much, much worse than having that same rubber over your entire arm and the analogy just doesn't work for the purposes of comparing the two.

It would be dishonest to say that there isn't a slight marketing gimmick, but there really are plenty of guys that need a bigger condom for comfort reasons or just to get the damn thing on.

/rant

Irish

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Johns Island (South Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Aside from this thread being very old... so few people seem to realize the OP wasn't talking about Magnums or Magnum XLs, but rather the Trojan Extra Large condom.

It's between the "standard issue" and (regular) Magnum in size.

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
I'm average and I've tried a magnum on before. I didn't use it for sex though, I just masturbated with one on (I was curious and I wanted to test it out). It didn't feel much different at all and just felt a tiny bit more relaxed. It was easier to roll it down to the end of my shaft (as opposed to leaving about an inch of base, which I know is normal but it feels more secure when it's rolled down lower). I'm not sure if it'd slip off during sex, though I honestly don't think it would. The consistancy of how it remained on my dick was just about the same as regular condoms. If I wore the XL, it probably would though. I do agree with the marketing thing but moreso with the regular mags and not really the XL. You definitely need to be at LEAST like 5 1/2" around to fill one out without slipping out of it, from the sounds of it.

Also yeah, I believe the bigger guys when they say it could be more comfortable. Regular condoms are the right fit for me but a magnum definitely felt nicer, if I had to put a word on it, i'd say it was like..."smooth". It just rolled down with much more ease and because I rolled it down much more where my base gets kinda fatter, it seemed to stay nice and snug.

Again, I don't know how well it'd work if I were to actually have sex with a magnum on, however. Even if it did stay on well and all that, I'm not sure if I'd want to be carrying them around, I feel like if girls saw it they'd assume I am much bigger and I don't feel like disappointing them or making them think I am well endowed.

I did the same thing. I have tried a normal trojan thinking it would be just fine, but found out that it strangled me. I remember the feeling as I rolled it over the head of my cock, like this strangling pain, and I get thicker at the base, so I had a very uncomfortable ring down there. This is when I first got the impression that I was bigger than average. I am no horse like some of the guys on here, on average I am 6 3/4" x 5 3/4". If I am really aroused I can reach 7 x 6, so I am above average I guess you could say. I also heard about the toilet paper roll test and how it can determine if you need a larger condom. I can get the roll about a quarter of the way down before my girth takes over. So I tried magnums and was pleased with the difference. I actually have feeling with it on, but it is still tight around the base.

Since there is such a stereotype with guys that need magnums, I was and still kinda am reluctant to think that I need them, but they do feel better and I fill it out girth-wise and I'm not too afraid of it coming off since it still leaves a red ring around my base. Is the ring normal though? Should I try XLs? Or would that be too big? I have a good friend that is the same size as me, so he says. And he thought I was crazy that I wanted to try magnums. He says the condom is supposed to be that tight. I guess it's personal preference. He also told me he wears a cockring when he's with his girl, so I guess he does like it tight.

I did notice that they don't roll down as neatly as regular condoms on me at least, they want to come unrolled before I get it all the way down, and it bunches up. I have to pull it down to get the wrinkles out because I don't have enough length. I am guessing that's the reason. But after some intense masturbation, it stayed in place. Is this possibly because they are thicker than regular condoms?

I'm not going to lie, I have literally no confidence. So knowing that I can wear them is a bit of an ego boost for me, even if some say they aren't that much bigger than a normal condom. Something about that gold wrapper gives me a sense of pride, what can I say? But at the same time since I am a shy guy, it makes it harder for me to buy them. I am 5'10" and very skinny. My cock when fully hard looks odd on my body. So it took some mustering up to walk up to that female cashier and purchase them. But I will say at the same time it was a major turn on. My cock got hard and moved it's way down my pantleg. I couldn't look her in the eye, but I had a feeling she was looking.

So marketing gimmick or not, it works for me. In fit and ego you could say, but I don't have too much of an ego. I am still very humble and modest.:smile:

BTW, I am so sorry for all the questions.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mr. Hardcock, you should definitely try Magnum XL's. If the gold wrappers give you confidence then the black wrappers will give you even more. :wink: You can always buy them on the Internet and get them in the mail if you are shy about buying them in a store.

The thing about the Magnums and Magnum XL's is they are long so if you are thick but only 7" long you end up with that ring strangling the base of your cock. You may want to try They Fit once they are back on the market. But if your cock is more like a cone than an even cylinder, then even those may not give you a good fit.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In my experience if you are over 5.25" in girth you need a larger than normal condom. Otherwise if you actually get it rolled all the way down it will be so tight your circulation will practically be cut off.

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Mr. Hardcock, you should definitely try Magnum XL's. If the gold wrappers give you confidence then the black wrappers will give you even more. :wink: You can always buy them on the Internet and get them in the mail if you are shy about buying them in a store.

The thing about the Magnums and Magnum XL's is they are long so if you are thick but only 7" long you end up with that ring strangling the base of your cock. You may want to try They Fit once they are back on the market. But if your cock is more like a cone than an even cylinder, then even those may not give you a good fit.

Thanks for the response, I will give them a shot.:smile:

I have pics in my gallery where you can see I have one on. I am pretty much continuous in girth from top to botton, but just slightly larger at the base, about 2" wide or three of my fingers wide.

Yeah, I am not ashamed to say they give me confidence.:biggrin1:

BDinChicago

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Can't believe I found this thread...because its exactly the reason I found this site (New here from Chicago ).

I currently have Magnums and Magnum XLs. In the link I posted above, I mention that the Magnum XLs didn't work for me (nor did the Magnums and the reason I purchased the XLs). So I went on an internet hunt for some discussion on the problem I had and discovered this site (must've missed this post prevously lol).

Anyway, I read reviews on another site (Trustex Extra Large Reviews) that all raved about Trustex Extra Large condoms (even posted a question about them the other day Extra Wide Condoms? Trustex?). Naturally, I went online and ordered some and they came in the mail two days ago (gotta love eBay...my girl thought it was wierd that I was buying rubbers on eBay lol). Here is the link...ordered 12 for under $6 w/shipping: Trustex on eBay. When they arrived I decided to do a little experiment...

Just for fun, I opened one of each (Mag, Mag XL and Trustex). Unrolled them all the way so that no extra latex was around the ring causing a tighter feel. Guess what, the only diffrence between the Magnums and the Magnum XL was that the XL was longer. The rings were the exact same size. No different. The Trustex was also a bit longer than the Magnum but not by much. The ring on the Trustex was also the same size as both the Magnum and Magnum XL. The only real diffrence was that the Trustex was much thinner and had virtually no latex smell to it, which both Magnums did quite a bit (as we know).

So, some have pointed out on the this thread that the only difference between the Magnum and the Magnum XLs was the width but in my lab experiment this didn't seem to be the case. I'm guessing the Trustex got rave reviews because it is probably more comfortable due to its thinness which would give it more elasticity and feel much better while fucking. I hope to try them out this week/weekend. I will report back with the final data.

Cheers!
BD

B_andyo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
UPDATE: One of my magnums broke, when i relaized there was my head pop up in the condom... it was a large magnum...
I bought 75 large condoms and I used about 120 mag XL and non broke. :) Also I have used a few hundreds of XL and Larges conbined. My gf prefers the XL and she enjoys the gold package the condoms come in... She wont have sex with other condoms? :( lol