Trophy Wives

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm thinking about tonight's VP debate, and thinking about why people will think Sarah Palin wins if she comes across looking pretty, acts stupid, and doesn't care if she is incompetent or unqualified.

They will think she wins if she looks and acts exactly like a trophy wife.

Palin: a trophy wife for the country. She appeals to people who resent work and resent commitments. She is like a vacation from reality. She's the toy an old guy snags as a way to say fuck you not just to his old wife, but fuck you to the world itself.

Talk about power. Think of the power trip in that. A guy who bags a trophy wife must have money. Plus the power to say fuck you to his old wife and anybody who has to stay in a marriage that is more work than sex. The old guy bagging the trophy tells the world: only the little people work. Only little men need to marry a woman who works. If you are truly powerful, truly rich, absolutely independent like me all you need are toys.

Is this why people love Sarah Palin? There is not a chance in hell that she or McCain would have appealed to farmers in the great depression. But now?

Do people like her as a way to say fuck you to everybody else? That is definitely McCain's strong suit. That is how Bush acted for 8 years. Is that why people like Palin, as a very pretty, sweet, harmless thing married to the guy who says Fuck YOU?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ledroit,
This is profound. Really. It is consistent with what Thomas Frank wrote in his excellent book, What's The Matter With Kansas: How the Conservatives Won The Heart of America.

He was explaining why destitute people who are put out of work due to free market deregulation principles would continually vote against their economic interest and put the same people back into power again and again.

He says that the reason why someone who is broke would vote for a party that continually only rewards the rich is that the broke voter sees himself also as the same kind of "player" as the rich guy. He blames his impoverished condition on the perception that the playing field is not level and such things as taxes and regulation are preventing him from succeeding.

This is consistent with the conservative notion that the only thing that is standing in anyone's way success is simply the bad choices they are making.

So, in that everyone sees themselves as a "player", your theory about them electing a Trophy Wife VP is consistent with that.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow...that's really interesting...not to mention she has the vote of most swing-but-conservative-leaning trophy wives in the bag. Sorry if that comes off as sexist

I live in Yuppiesville Michigan and work at a "classy" mall...I see far too many

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't think this debate will matter to anyone one way or the other. He should never have picked her, period! The media will roll with it for a day or two, then all will be over for the republicans. :pat:

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I'm thinking about tonight's VP debate, and thinking about why people will think Sarah Palin wins if she comes across looking pretty, acts stupid, and doesn't care if she is incompetent or unqualified.

They will think she wins if she looks and acts exactly like a trophy wife.

Palin: a trophy wife for the country. She appeals to people who resent work and resent commitments. She is like a vacation from reality. She's the toy an old guy snags as a way to say fuck you not just to his old wife, but fuck you to the world itself.

Is that why people like Palin, as a very pretty, sweet, harmless thing married to the guy who says Fuck YOU?

The GOP made an idiotic blunder in marketing Palin as America's equivalent to Margaret Thatcher. Once Palin's ineptness had been exposed it was clear that those who said she was comparable to Thatcher insulted the Baroness and made a mockery of Palin. The dishonest John McCain supporters will claim she won a debate in spite of her stupidity and incompetence. Those with integrity would admit to the truth.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
hey hey---
let's not count chickens....

This could be a real train wreck...

Either way...

Palin could fuck up so spectacularly as to decide the election right there.

Or...

you just KNOW she has not been available because they have been drilling her like she's ANWR...
She may be able to do all sorts of tricks by now- I could teach a dog to do calculus in the time they have had to coach her.

Surely they could teach a bitch to mouth talking points?

By the same token...

Biden could fuck up as badly as he did when he thought FDR was pres in 29 and spoke to the nation via television....

AND Biden could also fuck up by being TOO harsh and coming across as "mean" to a pretty girl.

Cause you just know republicans like to play it both ways...

Either way- it will be interesting...

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
She's pretty but I never considered Palin as anything like a trophy wife. I'm not convinced that anology fits all.

I perceive her like a number of similar rural types of women I've encountered in my life: opinionated, strong-willed, religious, hard working, family oriented..... and intellectually quite empty and unashamed of her lack of curiosity about the larger world outside.

Last edited: