Tropic Thunder

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ZOS23xy, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw this film. I know it got some critique herein for the use of the word "retard", but that's a non issue when you consider content and context.

There's a whole rift about how actors get Academy Award nominations when they play mentally handicapped people. CHARLY, RAIN MAIN, FORREST GUMP, etc...

So the discussion of doing "the full retard" as given in the film makes sense: it was actors bragging about skills.

And I can recall one of the films that brought lots of protest and it was condemned by people who had never seen it. That evil film LIFE OF BRIAN. Hideous. It will kill Christianity. It was satire, and the condemnations from those who never saw it made their assertions sound absurd, and bigoted. The stance they took was undermined by their lack of knowledge.

Go figure.

Very funny film though. Tom Cruise is in it, but you'll have to look hard...

2. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was pretty impressed with the film. It was a pretty good satire, plus, Robert Downey, Jr. basically owned that movie. Both of his accents ("black" and Russell Crowe sounding Australian) were fantastic. I enjoyed myself watching it. Even Tom Cruise was great.

though i have to admit, it was a bit uncomfortable laughing at the whole retard aspect of Simple Jack.

3. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Downey, Crowe and even Cruise (Cruise! in an almost unidentifiable role) were great.
    But I despised every fukhin' frame of that film.
    In fact, I walked out before the end.
    I never do that; I was exhausted, and maybe my nervous system wasn't up to snuff that evening.
    And I know the revenues put it on line to become one of the top grossing movies of all times. (I will avoid the evil opp to make a pun here.)
    But I despised it.
    We have crossed so many lines that there are hardly any lines left to cross.
    Coarsening, vulgarizing, brain-pealing.
    Maybe I should sit in a beer parlour for a couple of hours next week and then give the movie another try.

4. BigMac9

BigMac9 Member

Albums:
    I think you might have missed the point a little there my friend. Admittedly it's always a fine line to tread between vulgarity and humour on these sensitive subjects, but I think they got it spot on in this film.

I saw a preview a couple of weeks ago over hear (not out till end of September in UK!) and thought Downey Jr was fantastic. If he'd been playing the "black guy" alone it would have been crass, but with the genuine black guy criticising him it made it somewhat relevent.

Some self-parody never hurt anyone. Well, that's what I think anyway...

(Fantastic film!)

5. D_Gunther Snotpole

Small point, but you haven't seen the film yet, BigMac.

Downey was extraordinary.

That can be true, but doesn't say anything about specific cases.
    I don't doubt that if I get some sleep and force myself back into the theatre, I might get some pleasure second time around.
    (Not sure though.)

Wait till you actually see it!!!! Wow!

(I have no doubt that I am on the wrong side of history on this one, BigMac.)

6. D_Gunther Snotpole

Senility alert.
    Russell Crowe was not in it.
    I was thinking of Nick Nolte.
    (Prince_will, as prince_will will, phukhed me up.:cool:)

7. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Shit was hilarious.

" ....really?.....I'm just like an 11 year old boy, playin wit his dick when he gets nervous..."

Downey Jr. was great. Because everybody knows you never go full retard. Jack Black and his " jelly beans " were pretty good too.

8. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    I do agree, my dear Rubes, that there is basically no line left to cross. What is shocking anymore? The movie was cruel and vulgar in some ways, but i did think it worked in the context of the movie. It was a spoof and satire and it tested the boundaries of being politically correct and whatever.

I can see what you mean though. I just took it as one of those "leave your brain at the door" kind of movies.

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

Apparently, it did. No. 1 weekend movie for three weeks in a row, surpassed only by The Dark Knight.

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

If I don't like a movie or play I walk after 30 minutes.
    I walked!

11. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thought it was hilarious. I think if anything was offensive it was the fact that Robert Downey Jr. was in black face and had that stupid accent. That got pretty tiring and I could barely even make out what he was saying. Even after he took off all his make up I still couldn't see that it was him. And Tom Cruise I didn't know that was him until the very end of the movie when he did his little dance. Jack Black saying he'd go down on that dude if he untied him was pretty wierd. He could keep more clothes on if you ask me. But I didn't see it in the cinema I got a copy off the internet and it really suck quality wise, I'll buy a copy when it hits the stores.

#11 Deno, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  12. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do they really say Beer Parlour in Canada? lol!!! :chairfall:

13. dreamer20

Gold Member

Weird? I can only assume you've not seen that same comic device used previously in this film (BTW IMO Jack's scene was delightful)::smile:

YouTube - DON'T BE A MENACE 2 SOUTH CENTRAL-I'LL SUCK YOUR DICK

14. D_Gunther Snotpole

Yup. Really.:eek:

15. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    i didn't even see this before. :tongue: ah, Rubes, you're hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted