Tropical Storm Gustav

D

deleted3782

Good news and bads news...

The good news is that Gustav could lose some strength just before landfall because the Gulf water temperatues just off the coastline are cooler than they are in the mid Gulf. That could mean it diminishes from a possible Catagory 5 (155 mph +) to a more modest Cat 3 (111 - 130 mph) hurricane...which isn't much consolation. It could still be incredibly destructive. With all the forecasts and warnings, I hope everyone will evacuate the area...this storm is no surprise to us.

The bad news is...since this area off the Louisiana/ Texas coast is a major oil field, fill your gas tank today (Saturday) if you live in the US. Prices will likely go up this week.

After Gustav makes landfall along the central Louisiana coast late Monday-ish, someone along the ArkLaTex will get some massive flooding as the upper air steering currents slow the storm to a crawl. Much along the lines of Tropical Storm Fay in Florida last week.

Then, more bad news, as forcasters think Tropical Storm Hanna has a good chance of strengthening to a hurricane, maybe even approaching South Florida later next week, crossing Florida and making a second landfall around Pensacola-Mobile-New Orleans next weekend. Another hit to an area soaked by Fay last week.

Then even more bad news...as a tropical wave now coming off the west African coast is expected by some models to become Hurricane Ike...which could approach Florida and the southeast coast of the US around September 9th.

All a bunch of maybe's, but any time you have three tropical cyclones in the Atlantic basin and upper air-patterns steering them all toward the southeatserm US coastline...it makes those of us in the southeastern US sit up and listen.

Strap yourselves in, ladies and gents, the next two weeks could be one hell of a ride...

Courtesy of one of LPSG's resident weather fanatics...

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
Another scary thing is even if Gustav comes ashore as a Cat 3, it still could carry a very large, possibly Cat 5 storm surge. Also, if it lands to the west of N.O. they will get the brunt of the storm, unlike Katrina.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Shouldn't this thread be in the Celebrity Endowments section?
Shouldn't you be in bed by now sucking on your thumby?

Look here old man, this is a serious matter and one of the main reasons I don't live in Memphis which is where the Louisiana Governor says the displaced people will be sent.

Back to Gustav, has anyone else noticed that it's backwards spelling of Vatsug?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I will keep the people in my thoughts and prayers that storm blows away and they dont go through this nightmare again.

Ditto.

Please stay safe. Mother Nature can Give as well as take Life.
Be smart, and watch carefully. Stock up now on your supplies...just in case. Dry ice is also handy.

C

D

deleted3782

Another scary thing is even if Gustav comes ashore as a Cat 3, it still could carry a very large, possibly Cat 5 storm surge. Also, if it lands to the west of N.O. they will get the brunt of the storm, unlike Katrina.

This is true...the storm surge is setting up to be the worst from the mouth of the Mississippi north to Biloxi. That would direct some intense flooding at New Orleans...plus, the winds could be a great deal higher that Katrina.

My nephew is down in Baton Rouge right now having watched the Appalachain State - LSU game this morning. His flight out was Monday at 4pm, but all flights are cancelled out of New Orleans after 6pm Sunday. He and his friends got the last four seats on a 4pm Sunday flight...so he is out by the skin of his teeth (he inherited some of his uncle's good luck :rolleyes:).

Gustav now up to 150 mph, expected to peak at 160 mph on Sunday...

Yes Pecker, thats quite an endowment.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Shouldn't this thread be in the Celebrity Endowments section?

If so, Katrina was hung better than all of us combined!

I probably should go and fill up my 1 ton Chevy with the 502 big block and corkscrew sitting atop... Gotta gas my truck and boat up so I can haul it north. I believe transformer's gonna follow me... Want's to get the sea mist to cool him off while he follows the boat.

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
Now it looks like it could hit the coast as a Cat 4 as opposed to a Cat 3 like that had previously predicted.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just heard it could increase to a cat 5 but may decrease due to water temp but I don't see why 86 and 85 degrees is that much of a difference to change the effect on levees they say can't compete against a cat 3.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ive heard from some members in the line of the storm and they are fleeing to saftey. Everyone stay safe. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Nagin just ordered a general evacuation. I believe the phrase he used was, "get your ass out of here."

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
NCbear (whose most embarrassing moment was realizing that he was indeed a citizen of a third world country -- during the aftermath of Katrina)
Don't forget us Rita victims!! We were hit just as hard if not harder as it was still a CAT2 100 miles inland. Plus, all the Katrina refugees were in our way and causing us major headaches. Hate to say that, but it was the truth.

This storm can grow into a monster. Remember Katrina was a Cat 5 when it was out in the middle of the Gulf. Gustav could reach the same status. But it seems like people are taking this storm more seriously, which they should.
Yep. It's more organized this time, but there's still quite a bit of chaos going on. People are panicking and acting stupid when there's no need for it yet.

I just heard it could increase to a cat 5 but may decrease due to water temp but I don't see why 86 and 85 degrees is that much of a difference to change the effect on levees they say can't compete against a cat 3.
The hotter the water, the more evaporation you have plus rising heat that adds to the hurricane. Something like that. It pumps it up.

It's officially gotten stupid around here. The ambulances are scrambling to get all the nursing home people out and up to Oklahoma or where ever. The state patrols are having a real difficult time keeping up with them. Let me tell you that the ambulance drivers are Formula One quality drivers!! They have been doing some *AWESOME* driving despite people. And those engines are getting a severe workout.

I have all my stuff taken care of and I'm as ready for the 'cane as I'm going to get. I went to the store to fill up the gas cans and get some snacks. The scene at the store on HWY 96 was absolute chaos. People are panicking for no reason and being absolutely stupid. Almost got my butt arrested for defending myself and a nice older couple. (they bought me a large Coke for my trouble. :) )

Over in my neck of the woods, (around Jasper, Tx.) as of tomorrow afternoon, HWYs 96 and 87 (which are the main evac routes for East Texas) will be northbound only, all lanes. There will be no going south for any reason unless you have authorization from the state patrols. (good luck with that!!) Aslo, tomorrow afternoon Jasper and Newton counties will be manatory evacuation. They must expect it to hit at CAT3 or 4.

I can tell you this from Rita. If you leave then try to come back within 2 weeks after the storm hits, the address on your license had better be CURRENT, or you're not getting back in for ANY reason. Don't try arguing the point, because they're not gonna budge. PERIOD!! They do this to try to limit looters, news media, and to keep the lookie-loos out of the resident's way while they try to clean up and get back to a normal life.

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my mom's getting all scared so we're going north. dunno where. our parish is being urged to evacuate. we aren't that far from the coast. we live right on the Teche bayou. it's just right off our yard. when it rains, it usually comes up by the house so i'm sure it'll flood here for sure.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I probably should go and fill up my 1 ton Chevy with the 502 big block and corkscrew sitting atop... Gotta gas my truck and boat up so I can haul it north. I believe transformer's gonna follow me... Want's to get the sea mist to cool him off while he follows the boat.

I hope you're kidding about that. Think I was wrong ?

New Orleans-Area Traffic Cams - New Orleans Traffic News Story - WDSU New Orleans

Anyone dragging a boat out of that mess needs to be pulled over and executed/shot by the side of the road and I wouldn't have a problem with it. They'd be endangering others lives and limiting others chances to get to safety.

Attachments

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hurricane Gustav Evacuation 3 hours later (see attached image). What a mess ! Most of these people have no plan other than to get stuck in traffic. There's too many that are out there that aren't leaving just yet too. Wonder how many just got out there to see what was going on and are now stuck in traffic ? There isn't enough fuel for all of them to get out.

Attachments