Tropical Thunder

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Deno, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hope this wasn't covered before:
    Does this movie really deserve the responce its getting from the mentally challenged. Robert Downy Jr. Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Tom Cruise, Nick Nolte. With a cast like this I doubt it's all that tasteless. I saw crouds picking somewhere with signs saying Retard is hate speech. Thats retarded. Way back when I was in school we called for short, people in special education speds. I guess that would get you in big trouble today. Does this mean its ok for one mentally challenged person to call another mentally challenged person "retard"?

#1 Deno, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. D_Clumbert Cocksicle

I saw it today and thought it was hilarious, although they did seem to excessively pick on the mentally retarded (Stiller's Movie, and Matt McConaughey's retarded adopted son).

3. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

yes -- not permitted in the little red book of liberal ideology

4. SpoLLe

Gold Member

Like a lot of words, it has just lost its meaning through time and now days has just become an insult that people like to throw around. Kind of like what happened to the word gay. While the reaction may be somewhat warranted, I really don't think it should cause some of the uproar that it has.

5. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    sorry my mind must have overloaded I knew the title was tropic thunder, don't know why I typed tropical.

6. leonceswim

leonceswim Active Member

Albums:
    I went to go see the movie tonight. I thought it was hilarious, but i do agree that there were a lot of derogatory remarks used. not only about "retards" but many others. Tom Cruise was absolutely hilarious as well!!! haha. seriously, like no other role he's played. i was like, lmfao!!!

7. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Simple Jack was the only thing in a movie in a long time that has made me laugh out loud hard.

You muh-muh-muh-muh-muh-muh-muh-make me happy.:biggrin1:

#7 Mem, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  8. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I found the opening scene to be funny. After that, the only thing that made me laugh was the hacky sack head and Downy's voice. Can I say "Downy" without offending anyone?

I'm amazed at how people take a word and change it's meaning just to placate a group of overly-sensitive, selfish crusaders.

This is from an article about the oldest woman in the world. The author felt it necessary to point out that Gertrude, who is black, is not prejudice about black people because of her use of the word, "colored". Why is this necessary?

9. nay-nay

nay-nay New Member

i watched about 10-15 minutes of it and shut it off. i thought it was one of the dumbest movies i've seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted