Trouble at work, I'm quitting, I have questions.

Crece

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't mean to stroke egos, but I've realized that there are a good number of members here at the forum that are smart people and I ask of them some advice on my job situation. If you have the patience to read all of this, I very very much appreciate it and thank you endlessly.

I'm not going to go into detailed specifics because they don't really apply.

I'm quitting because I feel a great deal of igornace at my job, it's always been there, but up until now it has never seeped into my dept. You see I work as a skilled laborer at a very small company (about 14 workers). Each dept. completely relies on the knowledge of the head of that dept to run well. The owner/boss does NOT know how to use machinery, only knows how to bring clients and knows what needs to get done, but not how to get it done. I've worked a total of 6years at my job. I've started doing a certain job but thru the years, I learned to do other thing, then everything in my department and I was promoted to head of my dept about 4 years ago.

I was in charge of 2 people, both have been with me since the beginning, both women (don't know if that's relevant). Both women did their jobs in an excellent manner, I have ZERO complaints, they've learned the trade over the 6years here, one of them has been in the business for about 12 years and knows how to work the machinery very well.

Well one of my workers left about a year ago, she got pregnant and ended up staying at home, no biggie because the other worker, the more expeirenced one, stayed and is producing the same amount of work with no issues or complaints.

2 months ago, a young girl (let's call her Sara, 21yro) started working in the main office with my boss. My boss has known Sara since sara was 12, Sara is my boss' little sweet heart and has trusted her with the position of assistant to my boss. She messes up a lot but that's not the issue. The issue is that Sara has a boyfriend whom Sara has tried to work into my department. Let's call the boyfriend Tom. Tom is 26 and is a waiter. He has been a waiter for 9 years.

Tom was introduced to us a month ago and we were told that he was going to "help out" and only work a few hours because his waiter job doesn't cut Sara and Tom's bills. I wasn't crazy about it because we've had "summer job" workers during school summers and all the do is mess up the machinery, but I didn't really have a choice this time. I guess I had to be ok with it.

2 weeks pass and we start noticing change. The jobs that my boss gave for me to carry out, Sara was now giving to Tom bypassing me all together. I told my boss and she told me that she wanted Tom to learn the dept. I told her that Tom was barely starting and that he should gain experience before fooling around with $20,000 machines but I was sort of ignored and told that he was under my supervision.

2 more weeks have passed and they have given more responsibility to Tom and he is now trying to learn what I do. It's only a matter of time till my boss commands me to teach him what I do. The guy can't cut it, and I've told my boss but she turns a deaf ear and just tells me to teach him. He ruins jobs that we have to fix, he's costed the company money but for some reason that falls on deaf ears.

No one taught me, I learned my business all by myself, made mistakes, but I learned over the YEARS and I believe I earned my place and my salary.

Now we get my boss's sweetheart's waiter boyfriend in my dept and the way things are looking, in a few months he'll be considered at this company the same as me and above my worker who has 12yrs of experience.

I think it's very unfair that if my department is to grow, it is to be done with unskilled and unjustly-favored labor. It takes into no consideration job experience and job ethics.

So I'm leaving before I have to show this heavily favored dick head my job and risk my job security. More so, I can't work for a boss that uncommunicative and turns a deaf ear to experienced reason and just favors her little sweetheart's wishes and little sweetheart's personal interests. I know if I leave, my worker will leave, she's told me and she is more than qualified to get a job somewhere else. I have a job interview next Wed. which I am very confident I can land.

So I ask you guys for advice. Am I doing the right thing? Am I missing something? Am I taking uncorrect steps in leaving? I feel looked over and undervalued if they think any ol' guy can come in and learn my trade in a few months. I say that because they are making me teach him adavnced things that you need to know the fundamentals to do know and do correctly.

Once I leave, the work load of the entire dept will be on Tom's shoulders. He knows about 20% of what he should to run the dept correctly so I know the dept won't run right and she'll have to get more help and start from square one with someone that has no experience. I think if Tom is to be big dog in my dept, he should earn it, people get paid well doing what we do because they know their jobs, not because of brown nosing girlfriends.

help me out guys.......

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think that your decision of quitting really is appropriate. I think that you should and deserve working where your abilities will be appreciated.

I know it is very frustrating that you earned your way up to where you were and that you more than deserved your job and responsibilities you had. But you should be proud of how you got there and be aware that just as you learned and improved yourself there, you can do it anywhere else.

The only thing remaining is to leave the company in good terms, just to say that your experience there was entirely positive.

From there on, whatever happens to the company, your boss, Tom or the girl is their problem. Even if your boss doesn't say anything or responds to your warnings, I believe that he very well listens to your words and that he knows that he will regret it someday.
It is beyond your reach to improve the situation.

I wish you the best luck in your interview and let's hope for the best!

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think you're doing the right thing.

If they don't appreciate your work anymore and you feel more comfortable in another place, then you should quit. You have tried to tell your boss and that's all you can do.

Since it's a small company I guess that your boss is the CEO/president and that the company doesn't have a board? If they do have a board or if your boss is the president and not the CEO, you can try something else. Going straight to the CEO might help since they want to make the company productive and they have no feelings for this Sara.

I would wait until you had your job interview and if you feel it's a good place to work, then I would go for it. If you want to stay at the company, you can say that you'll quit and the woman in your department too, if they don't listen to you and keep letting Tom taking over your job. I mean... it's really up to you. You're the one deciding.

But from what you said... I think it'll be best to go to a company where you feel more appreciated.

Good luck with the interview,

Glenn

RedScrotum

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I suggest you stay and keep doing your best at what you do. Sarah and/or Tom could (and should) be gone tomoorw. I know how frustrated you are, but you're speculating on what may happen. They may have plans to promote you up to a higher postion. I can tell it's been a rough few months, but it all pays the same, whether Tom is in your dept, or not. If I were you, I'd hang in there for the long haul, and watch what happens. I would also go to your interview, you can never have too many options.

Leaving is the best decision. Getting another job first is most important. Suck it up until that other job comes along. You can't win in this situation and this company is run as an absolute monarchy. It doesn't matter how competent Prince Dolt is, he's of the blood royal and so king he will be. There is nothing you can do about this. You've said your peace and they chose Prince Dolt over you. End of story.

Get out and focus your energies on finding the new job. None of these issues will by your problem once you walk out the door so don't waste energy and sanity by dwelling on them.

Do not do an end run to a board member or whatever. That will get you immediately fired. Just go.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Make sure you have the other job prospect lined up. That's all I can really say on the subject, being only 20 and not versed in the politics and ways of the workplace. But quitting and finding yourself out of work would really suck, especially considering the shakiness of the economy and job market. I don't know your situation, but make sure you DO land it. Being unemployed blows. And not in the good way.

Last edited:

kloffus2000

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Some very sound advice here. Here's my two cants worth....
Go after and secure another job, taking care to check that working conditions and prospects are favourable in the new company, before you give in your notice at the present job. Do everything by the book, give your notice and work to the best of your abiltiy while you are still there. Try not to quarrel or show bitterness. Your reputation is important. Who knows, when "Tom and Sara" have damaged the business your old boss just may get rid of them and may want you back. You will then have the whip hand. Have confidence in your own ability and strength of character.

Goos Luck.

Crece

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Wow I really didn't think people would have read all that I wrote but I am impressed and indebted to you words of support.

I do feel I am making the right decision, and I do plan to leave on good terms. I will however make sure conditions are favorable at the new place if I do land that job before I decide to jump ship. It feels less than pleasant to be made less valuable than you really are at a job that you know you are very good at. I do however understand that with the present economy, I am blessed to be working and that I MUST secure another job before I go.

Again, I do appreciate everything said by you guys and if anyone has anything else to say, I'd be more than happy to hear you out. :)

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
You sound like you're good at your job and deserve your place in the company. The issues that you're having are the problem with the small company. I experienced the same thing right after high school. I had worked for a subsidiary of General Motors for two years and was working under the head engineer without any degree experience. The boss's brother came in and four of us that were hired in at the same time slowly watched our responsibilities dwindle and our voices about the operation of the company turn into whispers. We left one by one quickly within 3 months (after securing other jobs). Within the next 6 months, that small company that we called our employment home was out of business all because the boss chose to favor someone that wasn't qualified to run the department.

You have skills and they will be appreciated elsewhere. I think that you have done all that you can do with 'voicing your opinion' which is really all that you can do when you don't own the company. Take care of yourself, Crece. You've been there a while and know how they operate. You can see what's happening and you need prepare yourself for that. I suggest that you continue to work hard as you always have. Do what it asked of you with the same enthusiam you've had all of these years and leave without the door hitting you in the butt on the way out and don't look back. There could be a silver lining waiting for you at this interview that you've got set up.

No one likes to be unappreciated at a job that they give their all to. Good luck knockin' your new perspective emplyer dead!

Last edited:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Agreed with 8060. We have the privelage in working one of the largest manufacturing states out there, it it truly is Dog-Eat-Dog.

When Favortism enters, and the buddy system prevails, it sets the stage for failure.

I would look elsewhere, and avoid the conflict. I would not show this person Anything.
If he asks, tell him you dont have time right now.

Line up the new job, get ALL of the details, and get the hell out while you can!

C

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Hey Pal, agree with most post's. See how the interview works out - you are confident that is a good thing.

Leave on good terms, handshakes etc- you are going to need a reference, plus you will feel better in the long run- believe me, i have been there with this one.

Also guaranteed if this does not work out for your current boss with the newbies, he will be asking you back- if you don't like the new job then go back under your conditions and pay grades.

Seriously, wish you luck let us know how you go on, hope its helped.

Tardis

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes you should leave if you can find something else. They do not appreciate what you do. Maybe when you leave they will learn how valuable you are. They may even ask you to come back at a higher salary, and get rid of "Tom" and his girlfriend. Good luck.

Crece

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Thanks again for the encouragment, I'll keep you guys posted. For now I'll just get prepared for my interview.

Very impressed with the comments and this board's maturity level.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You've gotten great advice so far, but you know your situation better than anyone else. Trust your instincts, you are doing the right thing.

I was in a similar situation twice before and I tried various avenues to improve things, including meeting with my managers, HR and even one CEO. Both times I ended up having to leave. The first time I secured a new job before leaving, but the second time I didn't. I did, however give 2 weeks' notice.

You are wise to realize that you shouldn't remain in a place where you are not appreciated and your value is not recognized. Best of luck next week!

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I totally agree with the majority that you are doing the right thing. You have been totally loyal to the company and from what you have said have given them no cause for complaint. You have not only thouht about the interests of the company but also of your fellow employees.

I would have thought with your length of service and your knowledge and expertise, that your boss would have listened to and respected your opinion. He has obviously been charmed and blinkered by the young woman and pandering to her wishes.

There is the possibility that if you stay with your present job and it was actively seen that, you were pushed out of the company in favour of the young waiter. Then you could possibly have a claim for unlawful or constructive dismissal.

As others have said you also need to look after your own best interests. Therefore if this new job offers you better prospects and you have that gut feeling that this is the right way to move, then go for it.

There is the possibility that when your boss receives your letter of resignation, it may shock him to his senses, and ask you to stay. You then have the upper hand to demand what you want and on your terms or you move to the new job.

I always say in business, no matter how loyal and conscientious you are you have to look out for numero uno.

Good luck I am sure you will make the right choice in the end. Keep us posted of what develops and what you decide.

Regards

Smartalk

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Find another job, those french fries aint gonna take themselves out of the fryer when the buzzer sounds. :wink::biggrin1:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'd say company loyalty cuts both ways. You've given them good service for years. You've tried to alert them to mistakes that upper management are making but they're ignoring your advice. On top of that, you're the head of the department so you'll end up having to take the blame for this guy's screw-ups, because your boss definitely won't. You've got two options: leave a paper trail - make sure you put your concerns about this guy in writing to your boss and keep copies - or get out before your reputation is tarnished. From the sound of things, you've tried option one, so I'd say find yourself another job and don't look back. It's a hell of a lot easier to find a good job if you're in a good job. If your department or company is failing, it tends to get a lot harder.

Crece

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'd say company loyalty cuts both ways. You've given them good service for years. You've tried to alert them to mistakes that upper management are making but they're ignoring your advice. On top of that, you're the head of the department so you'll end up having to take the blame for this guy's screw-ups, because your boss definitely won't. You've got two options: leave a paper trail - make sure you put your concerns about this guy in writing to your boss and keep copies - or get out before your reputation is tarnished. From the sound of things, you've tried option one, so I'd say find yourself another job and don't look back. It's a hell of a lot easier to find a good job if you're in a good job. If your department or company is failing, it tends to get a lot harder.

Great advice, thanks! :smile:

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm going to begin by acknowledging that RedScrotum may be right and that if you stick it out, things may improve for you. However, I know from experience that if you stick it out, you run the risk of things not improving. In fact, they could get much, much worse. Tom (and Sara) can do a lot of damage before they go, not only to the company, but to your reputation and career. So I'm going to agree with Jason, and Viking, and the majority of other people here and advise that if you have other job prospects, you should leave now before things get worse.

Several years ago I was single-handedly running two projects, which should have been handled by a 3-person team. Looking back on it, I don't know how I did it. I must have been a friggin' miracle worker. But no one ever seemed to notice how hard I worked, or how much I did, or how many miracles I performed. Then, one day, out of blue, I was given a surprise raise and told how pleased everyone was with my work. My supervisor hinted that the company wanted to groom me for a promotion, saying that he wanted to increase my responsibilities, and talking about new challenges and opportunities. He also promised to hire additional staff to help me.

Instead they hired a young woman fresh out of grad school, with a Ph.D. in the field, but no experience. Instead of promoting me to Project Director as I had expected, they gave her the position, and I was "asked" to stay where I was on a "temporary" basis, until the project could be transitioned to her. They promised to move me on to "bigger and better" things as soon as possible.

Suffice it to say that she was a horrible project director. She had extremely poor organizational skills, interpersonal and communications skills, and no leadership qualities. But upper management seemed delighted to have her, and treated her as if she could do no wrong. So when the project began to fall apart, the blame somehow fell to me. She found fault with everything I did, and kept a list of everything she considered to be my mistakes, oversights, and shortcomings (which were in fact deliberate decisions based on established procedures and years of experience), which she did not hesitate to use against me. I got a reputation as a "problem employee" and was passed over for several opportunities.

I was determined to show everyone how great I was, and I resolved to do my work so well, so flawlessly, that no one could find fault with it. She'd give me 20 impossible things to do, and I'd do 19 of them. But all I'd hear about was the one thing I failed to do, or that I didn't do things the way she wanted, or I did them in the wrong order. It didn't matter what I did or how I did it; it was going to be wrong in her eyes. She never said "thank you" or even "good morning." If I turned in work to her, even if it was early, she'd look at it with disgust, like I had just offered her food that had been swept up off the floor. After this when on for a while, I became so stressed out, so frazzled, that I began to make real mistakes. My confidence was shot to hell, and I was so demoralized, not to mention physically and emotionally exhausted, that I couldn't muster the energy or motivation to look for another job.

Oh, and she had an affair with my supervisor, so I couldn't go to him for help. (She ended up divorcing her husband, and he his wife. They've been married for a few years now.) I went to HR instead, but that only made things worse for me.

She eventually moved on to bigger projects, which meant she had to work with large teams. Soon it became clear to upper management that she couldn't work well with anyone, and she lost the ability to place blame on others. Soon after, she left the company, and has had three jobs since then. But the damage to me, personally and professionally, had already been done, and I've never really recovered.

I very much regret sticking it out and hoping things would get better. I should have left years ago, and would probably be in a much better place right now if I had.
As far as I'm concerned, once it becomes clear that the company isn't going to support you, it's over. Get out while you can.

Best of luck to you.