Trouble in Norway

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_lrgeggs, Jul 22, 2011.

1. B_lrgeggs

B_lrgeggs New Member

Was very sorry to hear about the killings in Norway. Was also kind of mystified
    what the heck did they do to deserve this. If there are anyone from Norway who might have some insight to clue us in, it would be most appreciated. Also please except my deepest sympathies.

2. tamuning

Gold Member

Albums:
    Very sorry to hear about the Norway incidents. The sad truth may simply be -- nut cases are nut cases. My sympathy to the nation and all its people.

3. englishbloke

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Norway has troops in Afghanistan (it's not just the US you know, lots of countries do) and this is the most likely reason for the attack.

4. bobbyboyle

bobbyboyle New Member

They're reporting on BBC that the suspect has links to extremist right-wing groups. Of course, a tall blonde Norwegian can still have links to al-Qaeda but this attack was aimed more at the governing Labour party so that fits with these reports.

80 reported killed in the shooting and 7 in the bombing as of now. So much worse than initially it seemed :(

5. hassent

hassent Member

Albums:
    The police in Norway said this morning that the 32 year old killer has connections to right-wing and conservative christian movements in Norway.... The swedish television is broadcasting 24-7 from our neighbour country.
    The governement has classified this as a "national tragedy" and an act of terrorism.

6. evolution87

evolution87 Member

Albums:
    The shooter is an ethnic Norwegian right-winged extremeists. There are pictures of him all over the news now. The death toll right now is at 7 for the Oslo bombing, and atleast 84 for the shooting on Ut√łya.

This is so unreal, when I went to bed last night (02.30am) they said 10 people had been shot dead. I thought it was some sort of sick joke when I read that there are atleast 84. ='(

7. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It doesnt quite seem to hang together as one plan, but on the same day bombs go off outside the prime ministers offices and a gunman starts shooting at a camp he is supposed to be visiting. The guy arrested is described as right wing christian. Perhaps in discussions of terrorism people should concentrate less on the religous label and a bit more on the 'extremist' part of the label. Perhaps what these and other terrorist attacks have in common is 'right wing fanatic'.

8. hifzija

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You`re right,but it is also important to say about religious label.At first moment,at all european tv-station, Muslims are accused for this.All southern Europe Tv`s says it was Gaddafi`s retaliation.

9. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I have the strongest suspicion that this man's Christian extremism will quickly be dismissed, he'll be written off as a psychotic, his mental health issues will be brought to the fore, and his religion (perhaps rightly) will be down played. Though this may change slightly if a larger organisation appears to have assisted him, and it seems the Norwegian police are taking the claim that there may have been a second gunman seriously.

If he had been a Muslim, his religion would have been portrayed as the defining characteristic of his crimes.

Norway is a country which is extremely comparable to Ireland in many ways, in terms of population very comparable. I know that a massacre of this size in a country of this size will leave lasting trauma and distress for all Norwegians. The Norwegian Ambassador to Ireland just said on the radio that this was the worst act of violence there since the Nazi occupation during the second world war, indeed he said there was nothing even remotely comparable to it in that entire period. 70 years of peace have been shattered in Norway.

I have Norwegian friends who are members of the Labour movement (which seems to have been targetted in this attack), I've spoken to a couple of them this morning, they were shellshocked.

My thoughts are with my Norwegian friends.

10. houtx48

Gold Member

He should have immigrated here could have fit right in with teabaggers. oopps immigrant sorry.

11. mangobanan

mangobanan Member

Albums:
    Shooting 84 innocent teens in cold blood, after creating a diversion by bombing what should be the most guarded spot in Norway... simply unbelievable.

12. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^^This.

It's awful. :frown1:

13. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Doubt Norway has the Death Penalty
    So he will live in relative comfort till he is 90 odd huh?
    Why not look at such a scenario?
    Kids trying to swim to escape and executed by the cunt.

and many bitch about China and a bullett in the back of the head..instant within a few days
    No Sympathy, he did it did he not'
    enz

all the rationalizing in the world only going to partially appease the living
    bin laden, dead and gone almost forgotten
    same can apply to this prick

14. mangobanan

mangobanan Member

Albums:
    Well... due to some highly publicized miscarriages of justice over the last years, support for the death penalty is virtually non-existant in Norway. I think no death penalty makes for a greater faith in the legal system, so even if we all want to punish this individual as bad as we can, we'll just have to live with it in this case. I can guarantee you that when he is convicted, he will NEVER see the light of day again.

15. Jason

Gold Member

Only 41 countries around the world practice judicial murder, and in some of these there is a moratorium on its use. Basically only a rat-bag of near-failing states plus China and the USA still use judicial murder. Of course Norway does not practice judicial murder.

It is too easy to use shocking cases such as this as a supposed "justification" for judicial murder, a practice illegal in international law and contrary to the teachings of Christ. When the issue is political - and this case does seem to have a political dimension - then judicial murder just creates an "heroic" martyr whom other nut-jobs seek to copy. This guy will presumably go to gaol for life, and as such will be seen as a criminal and not as a "hero". To kill him would be to give him what he wants. Norway has more sense than that.

#15 Jason, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  16. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    mangobanan

Thank you for clarifying such
    I have been wondering from the outset tho
    How long did it take for your police squad to hit the scene?
    (i know they appear to be keeping quiet re it - by media of course.)
    Seems to me an hour or more is a very long time
    I thought helicopters and squads would be on the scene within minutes

I am wondering if you folk have been too laid back, and have finally learnt yr a part of a real Nasty World now
    enz

even piddly little NZ has been sending in Goon Squads for no reason other than practice for a real life scenario..

17. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ninety people killed out of a national population of less than 5 million is a greater proportionate death toll than that of the attacks of September 11, 2001 (3,000 out of 300 million).

18. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

So far it appears the only two people tied to him are Pamela Geller and Geert Wilders, one "grassroots supporter" and one politician who aren't exactly fans of Muslims. And the guy is just a fan of theirs anyway.

19. mangobanan

mangobanan Member

Albums:
    So it turns out the perpetrator has written a 1500-page anti-islamic manifesto which he distributed to various sources an hour before the bombing. He also says that 95 % percent of the population will hate him for what he did. I personally think that figure is far too low.

This is the saddest day in Norwegian history since the war. Actually, not even in the war was there one single day with as many casualties as a result of hostilities, as today.

20. B_jdunhill

B_jdunhill New Member

One of my best friends has been living there for 3 years for school and just loves that country so much. Her Norwegian roomate walked past the site of that bomb blast on her way home not 15mins prior. They share a place maybe 3 blocks away, she works at the Hard Rock Cafe. I have been in touch with her since the earliest moments and I am a news junky....such a terrible situation, she is just heartbroken and hasn't energy enough to help all the people that are broken that were so kind to here when she got there. UNbelievable scenario and indeed my heart goes out to her friends in the are and easpecially to all those poor kids and their families on that island. Sending warmth and good joojoo from Canada :(

Draft saved Draft deleted