True Love: How far will you travel for it?

Sixofspades

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would drive an hour maybe... fuck long distance relationships!!!

Totally. The logistics are only ever half the battle. You've got things like pressure to deal with as well - if you move somewhere to be with someone, they're not always going to take it well. They might say they want you to do it, but people can really change and resent you once you've done it, because they feel the burden of you being there solely because of them. There's other things too of course, like the practicalities with regards to culture shock, finding a place to live, getting around, showing your independence of your partner, etc. A lot of it is pure novelty - many people are attracted to the romance of the situation, and secretly enjoy the distance without thinking about how it will realistically go.

This is my personal experience with things like this but that's not to say it can't work out. I think mercurialbliss and no_strings are awesome for example, and I really hope they get everything to happen. I'm an embittered scrooge is all.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have always been very pessimistic about long distance relationships... seen very few work out.

But one's outlook changes and attachments to current situation and location diminishes with time.

So now I can simply answer yes. I'd go to the end of the earth to be with the right bloke.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Totally. The logistics are only ever half the battle. You've got things like pressure to deal with as well - if you move somewhere to be with someone, they're not always going to take it well. They might say they want you to do it, but people can really change and resent you once you've done it, because they feel the burden of you being there solely because of them. There's other things too of course, like the practicalities with regards to culture shock, finding a place to live, getting around, showing your independence of your partner, etc. A lot of it is pure novelty - many people are attracted to the romance of the situation, and secretly enjoy the distance without thinking about how it will realistically go.

This is my personal experience with things like this but that's not to say it can't work out. I think mercurialbliss and no_strings are awesome for example, and I really hope they get everything to happen. I'm an embittered scrooge is all.
You're right about the romantic scenario of falling in love with someone from across the nation or the ocean. Enjoying the distance can be true for some couples but I think I can safely say that's not the case with us. We communicate every day thanks to yahoo messenger and paltalk but seeing each other on cam and talking online isn't the same as being with each other in person and we crave that physical contact as well as the emotional and spiritual bond we created and nurtured online. It's also necessary to make plans to meet online at certain hours of the day since he's 5 hours ahead of me. I work odd hours at the moment so that makes my time more flexible.

My laptop has blown smoke more than once, my PC is on its last leg, i'm on my second webcam (don't buy webcams from Creative) and most of the time when i'm home, I resemble an air traffic controller with my headphones and mic firmly attached to my ears and mouth. My forced reliance on technology frustrates me at times, particularly when my PC crashes or yahoo or paltalk decides to hiccup at an inopportune time. :banghead2:

Communication requires time, planning, patience, and effort from both parties. Online romance is not for everyone. I would not recommend this to anyone who couldn't cope with spending large amounts of time online, isn't disciplined at planning future meetings, and prefers meeting people in the flesh before actually getting to know them. When love found me I was surprised to find how ready I was for that kind of intimacy. Cultivating that connection via long distance isn't easy but it's worth it when you find that special person. :redface:

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Hmm, how far?

When I was a college student in Japan, I dated quite a few young women, but there was one who outright denied me for my entire tenure there. I went home without her ever acquiescing to even go to lunch with me. I thought she was incredibly beautiful and the fact that she wouldn't date me, but consistently paired up with me in our language class just made her all the more desirable. Unfortunately, nothing came of it and I had to leave.

I returned to America and thought little more about it. I never thought I'd see her again because she didn't even give me an email address to contact her at!

After about two months back in America, I happened to start dating a woman that I met through a series of coincidences. We were pretty serious, and it was my first really serious relationship.

Five months later, I was having lunch with that girlfriend when I heard someone call out my name from behind me. I have a fairly common name so I didn't even respond at first, but then I heard it again, so I turned around.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that it was the same young lady I had asked out a number of times in Japan here, half way around the world, coincidently at the same University I was attending! I almost didn't remember her name at the time, since I had just plain figured I'd never see her ever again. But I did, and this time, she gave me her phone number and email. Oh... and I introduced her to my girlfriend.

So we became good friends. She confided in me that when I was in Japan, she couldn't stand me because she thought I was full of myself! Maybe I was. But then she said she was happy that we had met a second time and gotten to know each other. I agreed completely.

About six months after we met for the second time, my roommates and I had a party at our apartment (we had parties pretty regularly, actually, and they usually got crazy). Anyway, I of course invited my girlfriend, but she declined to come (as she always did). But my friend from Japan did come. We were both quite intoxicated and danced closely and quite a bit. After a couple of hours, I had a seat to take a little break and enjoy a drink and she sat on my lap. I wasn't thinking and we just started making out right there. And then I realized what I was doing and stopped and apologized.

I am never an advocate of cheating. But that was probably the biggest mistake I've ever made in my personal life. Stopping, I mean. We never did anything again, mostly because neither of us let it happen again.

Anyway, we remained friends for long after that even to this day. But I was with that same girlfriend for almost the entire time. We actually just broke up about a month ago (we should have separated long before this).

And already, I'm thinking about how I ought to contact that woman in Japan and tell her I'm finally single and want to come to Japan and be with her.

I guess that's pretty strange, to have someone in the back of your mind for years.

Anyway, I guess the answer to that question is at least 9000km. Or however far it is between me and her, assuming she'd have me. :tongue:

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You were both in the military, thats a little bit different as you expect to relocate every few years anyway.

The military is a committment like a relationship would be one, in in ideal world. However, it's hard to make two committments compatible, so it is also very tough on relationships. I had been pretty close to getting officially involved with two officers, but both got relocated, needless to say it had been hard for me to sign that. Best way to marry if you are in the military is to get an understanding civilian.

OMG! You were stationed at Earle Naval Weapons Station in Colts Neck, NJ?!? When? For how long? I grew up near there and my dad worked there for over 30 years! This is truly the smallest planet on earth. :biggrin1::tongue:

That is near McGuire AFB too, isn't it? I guess I'm number three from that area then.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
France, or Ireland. Whatever it takes.
Damn, so that's a done deal then? :confused: njqt466 grudgingly crosses HickBoy off her list.
I wouldn't give up those things to find true love; I'd give up those things if I had already found it.:smile: Ahh, an important clarification. Yet I don't know if I would feel comfortable making that declaration prior to actually laying eyes on him.
Yeh, about that... have you updated your will yet? :biggrin1: I love you Bliss. Soon love, soon.[/quote] <--- Okay, now you are getting sappy sweet. :tongue: :wink:

I would drive an hour maybe... fuck long distance relationships!!!
For Chrissakes Tripod I live in the same town as your folks! You can't find your way down here one weekend during the holidays!?! :rolleyes::confused:

Best way to marry if you are in the military is to get an understanding civilian. Maybe thats why there are more military men who marry civilian women, than military women who marry civilian men. We women are so much more understanding. :biggrin1::cool:

That is near McGuire AFB too, isn't it? YUP! I guess I'm number three from that area then.
I grew up under the flight patterns for Ft. Monmouth Army Base, NWS Earle, NAVAIR Lakehurst, McGuire AFB, and Fort Dix.

A long ways. To hell, back, to heaven if it takes me there. Unfortunately I've had a very recent rejection that has left me shattered, and I don't know whether I'm more or less motivated to find my true love.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I went 3,000 miles not for love but for some pussy. The flight didnt cost me anything. In reality it did. I spent over a year in hell with this woman.