Truth About Religion - What Do You Think?

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm very interested in religion, evolution and astrology and what people really believe in (who created the universe/how was it created).

First of all, I want to say that I'm not trying to preach in any way about whether or not God or any other Gods exist, I'm simply putting forward a theory that I heard and would like to know what religious peoples views are on it.

Please watch the videos in order, which I've linked, and they explain a theory on what most religions or its messiahs may be based on.

YouTube - Truth about Religion Part 1 of 3 (part 1)
YouTube - Truth about Religion 2 of 3 (part 2)
YouTube - Truth about Religion Part 3 of 3 (part 3)

I have always been a drifter in terms of religion; I've only prayed when family members are ill. I can't, currently, truly believe the whole story about religion - as much as I would love to.

I think that these religions have been created to give society a moral basis only. They were made to stop people stealing and murdering. I think it's worked perfectly and created a mainly peaceful and caring society (though the dark ages were tough).

Religious believers, please comment on what the videos tell. I found it very interesting from my neutral point of view, what do you think?

Thanks

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont believe in a personal creator god like a old man sit in the sky with thunders and other things.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The truth is that religions will always exist in someform because this world is a harsh place and most people need to believe in something to give their lives hope and meaning. I dont blame them .

Captain Elephant

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All religion is a response to a revelation. It could be a god-man, a eureka moment, or a teacher opening one's eyes.

The trouble comes when man attempts to organize this revelation into doctrine, or worse attempts to cloak the revelation to all but the close circle. And only if you are in the circle will you be allowed to see the revelation. And to be in the circle you must do this and this and this, but not that or that.

Thank you, but I have my own revelation to revel in. Save your organizing skills for the social club.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You pray for someone to get better...and its up to chance/odds/statistics/probability whether they do. ie they would have and do get better on their own, your prayers/talking to yourself do nothing.

There is no fucking God. Just as there is no Father Christmas, Tooth Fairy or Zeus, Hermes, Hades, Aries, Mars, Neptune, Venus, Imhotep, Ra, Osiri (only on this forum), Horus, Emu man, Tree man etc etc.

I have to question someone's intelligence if they believe in God because really that story is about as believable as Theseus & The Minotaur. A good story (Theseus is at least) but a story (fiction) nonetheless.

But I suppose if you want to believe something you end up doing.

Fables were thought up to soothe people's fears of dying and the other unknowns of life. It began with primitive people and today even intelligent people believe in these fairytales which were so comforting to the fearful that they became a religion. Which I find hard to understand.

Adam875

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The truth is that religions will always exist in some form because this world is a harsh place and most people need to believe in something to give their lives hope and meaning. I dont blame them .

Yes, well, in a nutshell that is probably true, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't stop at the 'comfort blanket' stage. It develops into the full works of 'organised religion'. If God is God, or Allah Allah, then he is Lord of Lords and Lord of all and the whole world must bow and obey. That is both the basic theology and the simple logic. It is called 'theocracy'. Another more readily recognised word is 'fascism', and the fact that it also carries the label 'religious' does nothing to diminish its terror. Examples in history, both past and contemporary, are too numerous to need cataloging here.

It is also the ultimate delusion.

It is a big subject and vastly debatable, but, after all the talk, the conclusion - to which I return again and again - is that religion is evil.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Religion and Spirituality, are often two miscommunicated identities, in my opinion. I am very spiritual, but not very religious at all. Religion, in the general sense, is anything that is done repetitively over time.

I can religiously sharpen my pencil on Mondays. That becomes my religion. My weekly regimen. Most religions in the connotative sense are thus: weekly regimens.

Belief in spirits tend to be the answer to things unknown. Which is where science and "religion" collide. Science says "this is what happens", but doesn't quite explain "why". People replace their "why" with "higher powers".