Truth

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Truth = real. Nothing unreal exists. Therefore, truth looks like everything.

How do I know? I don't!

(This answer is only semi-flippant..a 'chubby,' if you will!)

Truth = real.

I agree - Truth = Reality.

Dunno how you divine it? Test it to see what the results are? Or compare it against other things you believe or have proved to be true?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree - Truth = Reality.

Dunno how you divine it? Test it to see what the results are? Or compare it against other things you believe or have proved to be true?

Yes but the truth for one person may not be the truth for another. That's more or less what I was saying in my sarcastic post.

Yes but the truth for one person may not be the truth for another. That's more or less what I was saying in my sarcastic post.

Well, that's true. People do wholeheartedly believe things that are false.

I just meant what actually 'IS' is true, but it's hard to find out what that is, sometimes.
I also meant comparing it against stuff that is accepted to be true - times, dates, other fairly concrete things.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I just meant what actually 'IS' is true, but it's hard to find out what that is, sometimes.
I also meant comparing it against stuff that is accepted to be true - times, dates, other fairly concrete things.

Well then we have to all agree the earth is round, after that I think most things are going to be up for a debate.

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media

I would suggest that things that are accepted as true aren't necessarily so. The OP has posed a great question and one which I don't have an answer for.

how has no one said "the truth? you cant handle the truth!"????

truth is reality, but reality is different to different people. (is that philosphical enough for ya?)

I agree - mostly. :tongue:
Truth is reality, but reality seems different to different ppl.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It depends on what kind of truth you mean, there are subjective truths and objective truths. Divining both kinds involves different approaches.
Anything which seems true to the individual but which cannot be proved as true to anyone else.
Whether something is true, whether someone thinks something true, and whether something can be proved true are three entirely different matters. They are not different "kinds of truth." What you are calling "subjective truth" is mere belief.
It is senseless to say that something is "true for" someone. At best, that is just a confused way of saying that the person believes it. We already have a word for saying that someone believes something, namely the word "believe." We have the word "true" to signify the difference between cases in which what someone believes is what is actually so and cases in which it is not. To talk about things being "true for" people, like talking about "subjective truth," defeats the essential purpose of the word "true."
Truth = real. Nothing unreal exists. Therefore, truth looks like everything.

How do I know? I don't!

(This answer is only semi-flippant..a 'chubby,' if you will!)
Best reply in the thread so far.