tsa full body pat down?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Marius567, Nov 15, 2010.

1. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

(Nov. 15) -- A man got thrown out of San Diego's airport when he refused a revealing full-body scan and then an alternative pat-down, telling a Transportation Security Agent, "If you touch my junk, I'll have you arrested."

John Tyner, 31, said he was told he could face a civil lawsuit and a $10,000 fine for leaving the screening area before the security check was complete, according to news reports.

how much of your junk do thay check?

I may never fly again.

2. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

They can look upon mine and despair.

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's utterly ridiculous.

As someone who travels frequently, I refuse to participate in this security theater. I'm not subjecting my body to unnecessary doses of radiation whose long-term effects are unknown, and I'm not submitting to what amounts to a sexual assault by a government agent (this includes both a scan that renders my naked form not only visible but recordable and transferable, as well as the "opt-out" choice of a full body search.

And don't perpetuate this bullshit "pat down" euphemism, either. It's not a pat down, which is a light frisking of the areas most commonly used to conceal contraband that takes a few seconds. Law enforcement officers asked to comment on the TSA "opt-out" procedure have confirmed that it's a "custody search," where every inch of your person is groped over a period of several minutes. It's the most invasive inspection of a person short of a strip and cavity search.

Then there's the whole culture of intimidation employed by the TSA whenever anyone dares to opt out of the new x-ray scanners...they make a loud, ostentatious production of announcing they have an "OPT OUT!" on their hands and need assistance for additional screening, as they march you over to a separate, publicly visible area into the custody of no fewer than three blue-shirts...then loudly proceed to announce their plans to perform the invasive molestation that would get anyone else arrested for attempting.

Stop the madness.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've actually seen it in action, at least as performed on one occasion at Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood airport. I flew with Gymfresh and his hubby a few weeks ago in order to attend the NYC meet-&-greet. Gymfresh and I went through the usual procedure while his hubby was selected, apparently randomly, for the fuller "pat down".

Not to sound in any way ignorant or suggesting any type of racial/ethnic profiling, but one would be hard-pressed to find a less-likely terrorist suspect than Gymfresh's hubby, who is a paragon of "nice guy" embodied in the shell of an entirely nonthreatening and unprepossessing guy in his middle years. He is soft-spoken and extremely gentle in his demeanor and affect, and nothing in his dress or comportment called attention to him in any fashion whatsoever. He also has an unflappable calm, which, at least on this occasion, served him well.

In addition to the usual scanner/metal detector, he was placed in the center of a rather large (perhaps 10' square) and very visible section of the whole TSA area, shoeless and beltless. The entire exam took, perhaps, 90 seconds and was performed by a male agent wearing rubber gloves. He was told to prepare himself for a leg pat-down from his ankles up to his thighs "until we meet resistance", which was accomplished quickly and with a cool professionalism.

He was moved around here and there, with arms either outstretched or held over his head where similar pat-downs were accomplished as thoroughly and quickly as had been done with the legs. I may well have missed it, but at no point did I see any attention paid to his buttocks, nor was any time spent lingering over any one spot in particular.

As I wrote above, his unflappable calm gave no evidence of any feelings of humiliation, which even shameless I would have felt in similar circumstances, especially in so open and conspicuous an environment. And though in describing it to us later he wasn't especially embarrassed, he was quick to point out that contact had definitely been made with his genitals.

I'm well aware that commercial air travel is a privilege, not a right, and as such is subject to as much control and regulation as the DHS deems necessary, but this really is a whole new step in making flying as uncomfortable (and uncivilized) as possible. Thanks to Gymfresh's extremely frequent flying, we were upgraded to first class on the way up which, along with access to Delta's Skyclub helped make the experience tolerable. But the return flight, which I did in coach, was decidedly less pleasant: my fellow travelers and I (composed mainly of families with poorly behaved children) were cramped into seats that were uncomfortably tiny for me, and I'm not big at all (5'6, 150 lbs).

My halcyon days of jet travel are most probably way behind me, when I routinely flew two or three times per year for pleasure and many more times for business. Fifteen or twenty years ago, the coach section of that plane would have had two seats on either side of the aisle; this one had three on one side, two on the other in a plane that didn't seem any bigger than an old DC-10. Though never an undiluted pleasure, that return trip was, by far, the worst in my experience and one I'm in no hurry to repeat.

I can think of no other industry that takes customer comfort and satisfaction so cavalierly yet continues to operate so ubiquitously. I sincerely feel sorry both for those who must fly often for work and for the generations who'll never know that, at least at one time, flying needn't have been by necessity a barbarous and wretchedly uncomfortable taste of the police state in action.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I've been through the full body scan and the pat down. I felt neither humiliated or intimidated by the procedure. I used to fly about 100K miles a year and if I were still traveling that frequently I think I would be concerned with the radation levels of the scans, the FDA says they are safe but I stopped believing anything they had to say years ago.
    My final thought on the matter, if you don't like it don't fly. I would rather feel safe when I fly because since 9/11 I have not.

6. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

What a load of crap.

First off, if my livelihood didn't depend on it, I wouldn't fly. That said, I don't have that luxury.

Furthermore, any feeling of safety you have ever had whilst flying has been purely illusory. Nothing is different today than it was before 9/11.

7. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

You're from Cornwall, right?

In other news: You're quite right ... nothing is different, or at least, nothing is significantly different from before 9/11.
    That said, flying is still a very safe way to travel.
    The terrorist threat is a joke.
    More Canadians are killed each year from lawnmowers than from terrorism.
    But that's easy, coz no one is killed by terrorism.
    For stateside Americans, I'm sure the situation is virtually the same.
    There have been a few incidents, but when you consider all the deaths that occur ... they're worth a warm bucket of spit.

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

So how are you going to fly?

#9 D_Gunther Snotpole, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  9. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not covering destinations where the local airports have implemented this bullshit.

10. D_Gunther Snotpole

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Works, I guess.

11. thickpex

thickpex Member

Albums:
    Just went on vaca and anticipated those new full-body x-ray (or whatever) machines, but had the regular old-fashioned metal detectors and that was it. Have heard about the new scanners and saw the 3-D images they make, genitals & all, and yeah, u can def see how hung a dude is! I'd have no prob going thru it tho. Might make me even consider getting a beer or two before going thru it just to have a little extra blood flow to my "junk," lol!!

12. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Personally I don't object to the scanners or the pat down. If I want to fly I know it's going to be over the top bullshit and I get on with it. I can understand why people are unhappy about the process but I need to travel for work and if I am unwilling to fly based on the security procedures then I am unable to work and therefore wont earn a living.

Security at airports is a nightmare, I hate the whole "take off your shoes, give us your laptop, remove your belt, we'll be rude to you and impolite, take off your jacket and don't hold us up" thing but unfortunately the actions of few have caused this for everyone else and if we want to travel we have to adapt and accept this shitty process is part of the travelling experience.

I select the scanner option personally.

13. Tarameter

Tarameter New Member

Albums:
    California But Like This Home Page: Sunogle.com
    I certainly don't want the radiation. Don't mind the body pat down if its done by an attractive female, lol. But found this website and they have some interesting photos and information on it: www.Boycott26.org

14. nudeyorker

Gold Member

You are entitled to you opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Try charter or private; much better than commercial and you won't have to worry about the pesky rules you refuse to follow.

15. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't see how 9/11 has anything to do with either pat down or scanning. It certainly will not detect a pilot that plans on flying a plane into a building. I'd side with the cautious people. Get off your high horse and let the screeners feel your junk, how often does it happen anyway. If these people are going to die on a plane to kill everyone they might just have the bomb stuck up there ass and I pity the fool that has to check everyone up there.

16. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Fuck the horror (?) stories....I want to see pictures! :rolleyes:

17. Northland

Gold Member

It's essentially a free for all grope down. The hands press firm from shoulder to ankle, women have their breasts pressed against by a pair of hands, men have their genitals basically quick fondled, if they decide there's a problem they check again (if you have a piercing then definitely prepare for that extra check).

To the people foolhardy enough to believe scanner images are secure because the viewer is elsewhere, the scanners also have time codes, a little effort and it will be clear which person was scanned, that coupled with a cellphone camera click/video-record, can easily get images released far and wide. Later the TSA employee matches the images with the scans that his/her friend made and suddenly Charles Rangel is everywhere.

To the people stupid enough to believe all scanned images are destroyed, think again. At the very least, scanned images are held because they may be needed if an individual is shown carrying explosives or similar banned item/s. They will be held at least until a plane has landed safely at its final destination; because, if a plane meets a tragic fate, the TSA will need proof that there were no explosives detected.

Today scans and gropes, in the near future, rectal checks, and nasal checks and throat checks and even penile checks and vaginal checks.

Peace out.

18. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jesus Christ, no wonder we're becoming a fascist police state...so many of you stupid sheep are happy to just line up at whatever trough you're led to. :no:

19. luka82

Gold Member

You can always take the fucking bus.

Draft saved Draft deleted