Tucson, AZ

Discussion in 'Personal Ads' started by D_Martin van Burden, Feb 19, 2008.

1. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Hey LPSGers: Great news today. I was accepted in the Ph.D. program at the University of Arizona's Department of Sociology. I will be taking a trip there March 27-30 to visit the campus, hang out with faculty and students, and to see if U of A will be a good fit for me. I have also applied to two other schools in California. I'm keeping an open mind in this selection process, and I am really relieved -- actually -- to know that I can move away from Kentucky in a few months.

I wanted to invite LPSGers that are in/near the Tucson area to, if they would, give me a heads-up on the city. How long have you lived there? What features do you enjoy about it? How are the culture and arts scenes? Entertainment for a typical weekend? And how about housing? Getting an apartment is likely. Will it make or break me?

I just want to pick your brains. Respond here or PM me. It's all good. I appreciate any feedback.

2. frgman

frgman New Member

Albums:
    Hey, Just wanted to say congrats!

3. mickswim

mickswim New Member

Albums:
    from tucson grad school -

4. Meniscus

Gold Member

I've never lived in Tucson, but I went there on a business trip back in...2004? One of my clients in in Arizona and, as part of the work that I do, I'm in frequent contact with the major colleges and universities around the state, including U of A (although I'm afraid I don't know anyone in the Sociology Dept. there, sorry).

Anyway...I'm not a big fan of Arizona--mostly I think it's a barren wasteland where human beings do not belong--but I quite liked Tucson and I'd love to go back for a vacation sometime. It's easy to get around as the layout of the town is fairly intuitive and I don't remember the traffic in town being a problem. (The traffic to Phoenix was another story, but that's because they were doing roadwork and then there was a monsoon.) There are lots of great restaurants (although if you're a typical grad student you won't be able to afford them), museums, and art galleries. I loved the Arizona-Sonora Dessert Museum, which is sort of a zoo, botanical garden, and nature museum all in one.

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

I was under the impression that there was a lot of other tourist activities, although I was only in town for a couple of days and didn't have time to do them. Overall, it seemed to be a fairly "hip" place, for lack of a better description.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about where you go to grad school. You only have to live there long enough to get your degree, then you can go wherever you want. When I moved from Massachusetts to Colorado for grad school, it seemed like a huge change at the time. In the end, I was only there 4 years and then moved back to Mass. I've been back 7 years now and looking back on it, my time in Colorado seems so brief...I can hardly believe I ever lived there. I liked living there for a time, but after I finished my degree I realized it wasn't the place for me to be long-term, so I left.

Ultimately, your visit there will tell you more than anything I could say. Let us know what you decide.

5. cachondo

cachondo New Member

I have live din Tucson 4 years now and it is a great place. Lots going on and more culture than you would imagine. Apartments are cheap and with the housing situation you can get something cheap. I would look for places near the university (lots) or a little farther out on Campbell/River area. If you want to be shown around a bit, I'd be glad to help you and take you to lunch...It is hot as hell in June-August but June is the worst. The rest of the year is wonderful...here's my e-mail if you want to correspond malito2@comcast.net. Malcolm

6. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I'll be tied up at the university for the weekend, but please do keep in touch, though. I was just thinking about apartments out that way...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice