Tucson, AZ

Discussion in 'Large Penis Personal Ads' started by D_Martin van Burden, Feb 19, 2008.

1. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Hey LPSGers: Great news today. I was accepted in the Ph.D. program at the University of Arizona's Department of Sociology. I will be taking a trip there March 27-30 to visit the campus, hang out with faculty and students, and to see if U of A will be a good fit for me. I have also applied to two other schools in California. I'm keeping an open mind in this selection process, and I am really relieved -- actually -- to know that I can move away from Kentucky in a few months.

I wanted to invite LPSGers that are in/near the Tucson area to, if they would, give me a heads-up on the city. How long have you lived there? What features do you enjoy about it? How are the culture and arts scenes? Entertainment for a typical weekend? And how about housing? Getting an apartment is likely. Will it make or break me?

I just want to pick your brains. Respond here or PM me. It's all good. I appreciate any feedback.

2. frgman

frgman New Member

Albums:
    Hey, Just wanted to say congrats!

3. mickswim

mickswim New Member

Albums:
    from tucson grad school -

4. Meniscus

Gold Member

I've never lived in Tucson, but I went there on a business trip back in...2004? One of my clients in in Arizona and, as part of the work that I do, I'm in frequent contact with the major colleges and universities around the state, including U of A (although I'm afraid I don't know anyone in the Sociology Dept. there, sorry).

Anyway...I'm not a big fan of Arizona--mostly I think it's a barren wasteland where human beings do not belong--but I quite liked Tucson and I'd love to go back for a vacation sometime. It's easy to get around as the layout of the town is fairly intuitive and I don't remember the traffic in town being a problem. (The traffic to Phoenix was another story, but that's because they were doing roadwork and then there was a monsoon.) There are lots of great restaurants (although if you're a typical grad student you won't be able to afford them), museums, and art galleries. I loved the Arizona-Sonora Dessert Museum, which is sort of a zoo, botanical garden, and nature museum all in one.

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

I was under the impression that there was a lot of other tourist activities, although I was only in town for a couple of days and didn't have time to do them. Overall, it seemed to be a fairly "hip" place, for lack of a better description.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about where you go to grad school. You only have to live there long enough to get your degree, then you can go wherever you want. When I moved from Massachusetts to Colorado for grad school, it seemed like a huge change at the time. In the end, I was only there 4 years and then moved back to Mass. I've been back 7 years now and looking back on it, my time in Colorado seems so brief...I can hardly believe I ever lived there. I liked living there for a time, but after I finished my degree I realized it wasn't the place for me to be long-term, so I left.

Ultimately, your visit there will tell you more than anything I could say. Let us know what you decide.

5. cachondo

cachondo New Member

I have live din Tucson 4 years now and it is a great place. Lots going on and more culture than you would imagine. Apartments are cheap and with the housing situation you can get something cheap. I would look for places near the university (lots) or a little farther out on Campbell/River area. If you want to be shown around a bit, I'd be glad to help you and take you to lunch...It is hot as hell in June-August but June is the worst. The rest of the year is wonderful...here's my e-mail if you want to correspond malito2@comcast.net. Malcolm

6. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I'll be tied up at the university for the weekend, but please do keep in touch, though. I was just thinking about apartments out that way...

Draft saved Draft deleted