Turkey (the bird)

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Since we have an international forum, I'm curious what non-North Americans think of eating turkey. I live in the U.S. and here it is quite a comfort food, eaten at other holidays and sometimes you can get it on regular days also.

In North America before the bird is baked we fill it with dried bread cubes, chopped celery, chopped onions and spices (the basic recipe), but it can have lots of other things in it. We call it stuffing and it is one of my favorite dishes at holiday meals.

I read somewhere that until recent times, the turkey was not common enough to be a food source. Can you buy these big birds almost anywhere in the world now? Would you care to eat it?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Since we have an international forum, I'm curious what non-North Americans think of eating turkey. I live in the U.S. and here it is quite a comfort food, eaten at other holidays and sometimes you can get it on regular days also.

I like turkey though I don't eat it as often as I eat chicken. Not sure it's comfort food, to me anyway, it's just ubiquitous, cheap and open to many different means of preparation.

In North America before the bird is baked we fill it with dried bread cubes, chopped celery, chopped onions and spices (the basic recipe), but it can have lots of other things in it. We call it stuffing and it is one of my favorite dishes at holiday meals.

I think that's pretty standard in much of Western Europe, certainly in the UK. Standard Christmas fare, duck is common also but if I recall that was more traditionally reserved for new year. I used to hate stuffing as a child but now I love it, especially with crispy bacon wrapped round it.

I read somewhere that until recent times, the turkey was not common enough to be a food source. Can you buy these big birds almost anywhere in the world now? Would you care to eat it?

It's very common here in the UK, I sometimes buy it cubed for stir frying, makes a change of texture from chicken though often it's hard to tell. I've not seen turkey anything like so often outside Europe and North America though, probably not looking closely enough.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
As our elections will be coming up ~March 2007, we will be expecting our local representaive to give us a turkey, ham or fruitcake. He will probably give us the cake though.:rolleyes:

Here in N.P. most of the eateries had thanksgiving lunch and dinner specials. We may eat the typical foods but thanksgiving's thursday is not a holiday here.

A Thanksgiving Wish For You All:wink:

May your stuffing be tasty,
May your turkey be plump,
May your potatoes 'n gravy have nary a lump,
May your yams be delicious,
May your pies take the prize,
May your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off of your thighs!