Turning 40: how is/was it for you?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by titan1968, May 18, 2008.

1. titan1968

titan1968 Active Member

Albums:
    Today I said goodbye to my 30s. Personally, it was a good decade. There were a few low lows and a few high highs, but I've come out on top with a lot of help from family and friends and people I met when our paths crossed. I'm still in very good shape, I know what I want out of life (or have a better idea) and have plans for the future.

What did turning forty mean to you? Apart from the physical changes, how did turning forty change you? Are you more confident/assertive now than you were before?

2. NCbear

Gold Member

Congratulations, titan1968! Happy birthday!

And I'm glad it's such a positive milestone for you. My best to you!

NCbear (who's happy you've got a smile on your face)

3. earllogjam

Gold Member

i realized after a lot of angst and self reflection that it's just gonna be another day. i always think of your age as a function of life experiences as opposed to the number of times you've been around the sun. the more life experiences you have the older and wiser you are. the day you turn 40 will mean what ever meaning you place upon it and it's your choice.

i think you can set goals for yourself at your 10 year milestones but it's easy to decieve yourself and feel that you need to be at a certain place in your life at a certain age when life often throws you curve balls.

a very happy birthday to you titan...

4. dannymawg

Gold Member

5. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

No big change- in all apsects, I looked the same, i felt the same, won't be any real change till I'm 100 yrs old.

6. exwhyzee

Gold Member

The biggest change I have heard of is the unwillingness to put up with other people's crap after 40. Life is too short...let them sort their own issues out.

Isn't 40 the new 30...or something like that?

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

My 30s were great; so far my 40s have been.

I have never understood why some people get so twisted about birthdays. From my way of thinking, having another birthday (regardless of its sequence number) is better than the only other option I know of!:biggrin1:

I always think, "well, I've made it another year instead of not making it another year... yay for me!"

8. Primal_Savage

Primal_Savage New Member

Albums:
    About a year and a half away. Sure ain't looking forward to it.

9. naughty

Gold Member

I wasnt feeling it. My girlfriends wanted to take me out, my family wanted to take me out, I wanted to get in bed and pull the covers over my head. The funny thing was that I realized it was just a number and was inevitable so I just needed to get over myself. I have been enjoying this decade of my life ever since.

10. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

You mean you're not 21?!:shocked: :wow::boobies:

11. naughty

Gold Member

Babe,

anything you have already been you can just nod your head and respond, YES! LOL!

12. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I woke up, managed to get through the day, and it was pretty much the same kind of day, except another year was added to the odometer.

13. D_Aston Asstonne

D_Aston Asstonne Account Disabled

For me...things are only improving!Im in better shape than i was in 20 years ago as i dont have all the nasty habits i had when i was a youngster.The only difference is...i have an extremely low tolerence for bullshit!40 is great remember...at least you made it this far,the next 40 will be a breeze.

14. westy30004

westy30004 New Member

What a great thread...my 40th will be in about nine months....as I approach it, I am noticing my time is spent differently than it was even three or four years ago...more time doing what I want to with family and friends, less at the office and doing what others demand from me. Fourtunately, my wife is my best friend and I would rather spend time with her over anyone else... Wasn't like that in my 20's

15. pilot4466

pilot4466 Member

For me, it was physically a drag more than mentally. I literally woke up that morning with a horrible crick in my neck and it lasted all day even after two chair massages (that I bought myself). After a few beers during my bday party it finally went away. But I do believe my body also went through a change that year to where it used to be pretty easy to drop 5lbs but trying to do it now requires a lot more work.

Anyhoozle - Happy Birthday to anyone who is having a birthday this year....:biggrin1:

16. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Oh, ok, then really Im only 21 again too.:biggrin::naughty:
    Now that we're both legal again, wanna find ways to prove it?:naughty:

17. thedrainman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Can't remember, it was 22 years ago - in fact, can't remember what I did yesterday!

18. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    Oh to be 40 again...oh to be 50 again.

You are as old as you feel.....trite I know. Maintain a positive approach to life, be open to new things and experiences and surround yourself with like people
    who think young...

19. AG08

Gold Member

Turning 40 last year was no big deal for me (I'm not quite 41 yet). I accomplished many of things that I wanted to do when I was younger. I'm happily married (my wife is my best friend), have a great job, live in a nice house, I have food on my plate, and clothes on my back, so I have a lot to be thankful for. When I was younger and single I did everything I wanted to do and my personal motto was "no regrets". I enjoyed my single days, but I do not yearn for them today. I love being married. People with regrets are usually the ones that do not age gracefully. People who constantly look at what they don't have rather than what they do have are also unhappy with themselves as they get older. I prefer to focus on what I do have and that has brought me contentment and joy in my life.

The only thing I don't like about getting older is that I will never have the kick ass physique I had when I was in my 20's. It's harder to lose weight, but I think I still look good for 40. Most people think I'm still in my early 30's and I let them think that. When they find out my true age they are usually quite shocked.

There is no mid-life crisis on my horizon.

Happy Birthday my friend!!!!

20. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Emotionally and intellectually , I feel like I am 30.

But my knees, my back, my feet, and the hair sticking out my ears tell me differently...

Draft saved Draft deleted