turning half-way to 50...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Skull Mason, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    So its my 25th birthday today....

:frown1:

Kind of sucks to be honest. Its a reminder, or maybe an alarm, that your really getting older. How has everyone else dealt with this? Anyone else have slight trouble being 25 and not really sure where your going in life? I hear the 20s are the worst years, 60s are the best believe it or not. 20s have really sucked for me but thats for reasons out of my control (car accident etc). I'm really trying to rebound and get my life back on track but turning half-way to 50 doesn't help. I'd like to hear other peoples experiences of growing old; what makes or made you happy, content, etc...

Mason

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I awlays think guys in their 40's are the hottest.......Youre so fuckin steamin hot now i cant wait to see you in 15 years!

3. agnslz

Gold Member

Happy Birthday!:smile:

I went through this almost a year ago when I turned 25 years old. Only, then, I didn't think of it in terms of being halfway to fifty, I thought of it in terms of being a quarter of a century old!:eek::biggrin: Don't worry, the feelings will pass, and then you'll fear turning thirty!:tongue:

4. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

when i was 25 i thought of my age now (48) as impossibly old but guess what its practically the same

5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Happy birthday!! I'll be "half of 50" here in a month or so myself....

6. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Half way is better than nothing Skull Mason. You've been through a rough stage with your near fatal accident and recovery.

I love being Fiddy and still feel much that I felt at 25 but with more humility and acceptance. Put yourself in gear to live in the moment. Live today. There's no promise for tomorrow, as you learned by almost dying. You've come a long way. Congrats and Happy Birthday!

here's my sentimental birthday wish on getting halfway!

7. viking1

Gold Member

I am 45 and I am NOT looking forward to my 60s. My twenties were my best years...other them my mid to late teens. I so enjoyed being carefree during my teenage years and I would go back in a second if given the chance.
    I hope you heard right about your 60s being the best but somehow I doubt it.

I really cannot tell you how to deal with aging. I am having problems dealing with it myself. I have always dreaded aging. It really hit home recently though. I have been having back trouble and have had a lot of pain. I have always had health and abilty to do any and everything I want. That is changing now and it sucks too. After an MRI scan on my back showed 2 ruptured disks and another one damaged I wonder if I will ever be the same.
    The scan also found an abdominal mass. I had the biopsy on that this morning. That was fun...I got stuck with that big horse needle. The test results will not be in until next week but from what they have seen so far they do not think it is malignant. I was so upset when the doctor called and told me about finding the mass I set around and cried all that weekend. I was so sure it was cancer and it was all over for me.

I do feel better about it now. Getting older sucks but I guess it beats the alternative though. This back pain has really taken the fire out of me. Even my sex drive has been much lower. It is hard for me to put in a whole day at work without a lot pain.

The best thing I can tell you is not to dwell on getting older. Find some way to get your mind on what you like to do now. Enjoy a hobby, your friends, and family and so on. I am really not sure where my life is going at 45 and really never have been. You just have to find something to get your mind off your troubles and worries. I know that is easier said than done. Oh, how well I know that. Good luck to you.

8. trufitjock

trufitjock Member

Albums:
    i was really great in my 20's .. 30's were ok.. but the 40's have been the BEST.. i put into practice what ide learned and learned from.. enjoy each day.. damn they go fast.. and remember....

nothing new can come into your life,
    until you appreciate what you have....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

9. 7960montyy

7960montyy New Member

Mason
    Happy Birthday - the first half of your 20's are often a bit 'out of tune' (mine were); but by your thirties you have got a handle on a lot of stuff that seemed cfu back then! My personal 'mid-life-crisis-thang' was at the 29/30 changeover, so wtf, enjoy the moment!
    Cheers,
    Monty
    Australia

10. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Happy Birthday, and love your bod.

When I turned 29 and 44 I was bothered a bit, now at 51 that of course seems silly. I am bothered by how few close, long term friends I have had, not as I had expected.

11. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Happy quarter century man!

12. Principessa

Gold Member

My dear sweet Skullmason,

I TOTALLY understand, but then again I am a Jersey Girl.

My 25th was way more upsetting than my 30th. At 25 I realized if I wanted to have a better life, I had to change. :eek: So I quit my job and went back to school to finish my B.A. That doesn't work for everyone but I'm sure you have a good idea of what will.

But first I threw a KICKASS 25th birthday party at my parents home. Yes, I was still living with my parents, you got a problem with that? :mad: :tongue:

What sucked about my early 20's: A tendency towards being overworked and underpaid. I dated men that could best be described as, big, pretty, dumb jocks...on purpose. :confused: Oh yeah and they treated me like shit, I am so glad I got over that before I turned 25. There may be more but I honestly don't remember. I'm 40, trust me, time does heal all wounds.

I've had my share of ups and downs since then, such as an auto accident so bad my Volvo wagon was totalled and the NJ Turnpike Authourity had the audacity to send me a bill for $1500+ to replace the section of guardrail that was destroyed. :biggrin1:

My 20's were fantastic! If I could re-live one year it would be 27. Not sure why, I just remember it being a lot of fun, and no I was not drunk. :tongue: I was drunk the summer of my 20th year.

njqt466

and one more thing . . .

HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY,
    YOU HOT STUD!!!!

:birthday:
    :laola: ​

FYI,
    :You_Rock_Emoticon:

13. madame_zora

Gold Member

Every age has its' own gifts, but my twenties were also not exactly stellar years for me. I didn't experience what you are feeling exactly, but I can relate to feeling like I wasn't where I thought I'd be by then.

For me, I got my shit together in my 30s, and that was a very productive decade in a lot of ways. I learned how to fit myself in to the world and how to make money. It felt good to get stabilised, to a degree. I had health insurance!

In my fourties, I lost all interest in convention, and I find myself searching again, but it's better this time. Now I'm searching just because I'm curious, not because I have no other options.

I have to admit to being pretty excited about the future. If I live long enough, I get to learn a lot of shit, and keep opening boxes that are just full of surprises. Some of the best times I've spent were in sales jobs where I got so many opportunities to talk to retired people about their lives and listen to their stories. I hope I have stories like that one day. I'm working on it.

It's the gayest shit in the world, but it's true. Every event in our lives has a gift for us in its hands. You could look at your milestone that way.

14. chris4869

chris4869 New Member

Albums:
    I was a mess in my twenties. I was utterly shy and took things too serious. I was overworked and underpaid like many of us here in our twenties. I was unsure of what I was doing or where I was going in life. I also had the worst depression of my life while I was in my twenties.

That was my past. I'm now in my early thirties, AND LOVING IT. My body have never looked any better. I have no more colleges to worry about, and a decent job that supports my hobbies.

My friends always joke about how thirty was over the hill and everything goes down hill from there. I always smile and remind them that going down hill is a lot easier than climbing up the hill. You're done struggling to get up there. =)

By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I say stopping worrying about the numbers, and cruise . . .

15. SeeDickRun

SeeDickRun New Member

My twenties were great. Party, Party, Party.

My thirties were great, or so I thought. I was on a fast track, an over achiever, and took my life MUCH too seriously.

My forties were more settled. I had chucked the fast track by then, thought my family was more important than great success, and turned my back on "success".

My fifties were even mellower. Success comes when you least expect it, and I had a great peace in my soul.

My sixties are incredible. Prostate was removed for the big CA, then an "OPPS", it wasn't only in your prostate, but also in your bladder. Let's take that out too, and build you a new one. Then, another "OPPS", we didn't get it all. Let's do some chemo and x-ray treatment. On, yeah, your genitalia are just for decoration now. They don't do jack shit, but we'll let you keep them just so you can remember all the good things about them. But things are looking up. Looks like we can't find any more cancer after the chemo. We'll skip the radiation.

Getting older isn't for the faint of heart, but it does beat the alternative.

Now, my sixth decade's looking like you can handle everything. Probably even better than when you're younger. You can approach every day as a gift, and once again, everything's looking up. So, it really doesn't matter where you are in life. You get through it. You look back on each year and laugh. Enjoy where you are. Enjoy every day. Enjoy each friend. Share yourself. Give more and more. The more you give, the more life gives back, and regardless, it's all worth every minute, and age doesn't mean a twit!

16. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I kinda like the adventure, actually. The really cool thing about your 20s is that you have a little bit more time to take self-inventory and to find out what you really want to do in life. Not sure yet? That's totally fine. People our age, man, are taking their sweet ass time with the career and the marriage and those big life hurdles. The extra bonus is that, hopefully, you've gleaned some maturity. You're destined to make smarter friendship and relationship choices, are willing to expand your horizons (not in that cigarettes, alcohol, drugs tired shit of ~21 years), and you've got some grit in your teeth. While you probably can't quite get away with the BS of your college years, you're a real man otherwise and you've got some room to do your own thing.

I finished grad school when I was 25. I felt good about getting that goal accomplished, but after working for a while, I'm ready to take a big move. I want to move to California in a couple of years and work on a doctorate. (Just makes sense to me; I like school.) I feel pretty good about staying single. I don't want anything serious, and the rush of hook-ups has thus left the building. I enjoy slightly cheaper auto insurance and I'm trying to get a little more financially solid and knowledgable.

Take some time to sit down and figure out what's going right for you so far and where you want to go. This is the perfect time to ask the age-old, "Where do I see myself in five years?"

17. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

Happy Late Birthday..
    IM going to be the big 3-0 soon..
    gulp.
    I look back at myself at 25 and laugh..
    have fun!
    DJG

18. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Happy Birthday!

Now, stop whining. Your “problems” with turning half way to 50 make those of us who just turned half way to 60 downright suicidal.

Enjoy the rest of your 20’s man; because the big “my life is over” 3-0 comes way faster than you realize.

19. fortiesfun

Gold Member

I didn't handle getting halfway to 100 all that well, but I think it beats the alternative. I suspect, however, that you will find the next quarter century to be incredibly rewarding. Life was barely staring for me at your age, and it was a full decade later before I finally felt like I had achieved anything like my potential. I concur with those who counsel the best is yet to come.

20. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Happy belated birthday, Mason. I turned 37 a few months ago. My 20s were fun, but 30s are even better. 40 is looming in the distance and I think at that point, I will get freaked out, but I'm not going to worry until I get there. Enjoy being 25, but when you turn 30, it's better.

Draft saved Draft deleted