ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I know this show has been off the air for years, and that many of you members were probably too young to have seen it when it was on cable TV. I found the program well after it had gone off the air, but was able to watch it on demand. As this was a Gay themed program, I have heard that some in the LGBT community thought the show was great and some thought it showed the Gay lifestyle in a negative way.

Did any of you watch the program ? What were your opinions about the show / characters ?

Thanks

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know this show has been off the air for years, and that many of you members were probably too young to have seen it when it was on cable TV. I found the program well after it had gone off the air, but was able to watch it on demand. As this was a Gay themed program, I have heard that some in the LGBT community thought the show was great and some thought it showed the Gay lifestyle in a negative way.

Did any of you watch the program ? What were your opinions about the show / characters ?

Thanks
I remember the show. My feelings about this show were mixed. I enjoyed seeing a variety of types onscreen. It was refreshing to see people that weren't all stereotyped. What I didn't like was the character of Brian Kinney. That he slept around and fit all the negatives as far as being the kind who only sought sex and money wasn't the issue. It was that he was portrayed as a hero that should be admired. The final seasons in which he lost everything in order to bring down Stockwell made me truly detest him. Forgotten was that his sacrifice wouldn't have been necessary if he hadn't done everything he could to bring Stockwell to power. When the gay community was under attack Brian didn't care because his plan was to be out of the city so he wasn't going to be affected. I see a parallel with many gay Republicans.

This show is missed. It had young and old. Straight and gay. Gay men and lesbians. HIV negative and positive men. It dealt with issues that anyone could relate to not just gay ones.

AdamHenry

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I remember the show. My feelings about this show were mixed. I enjoyed seeing a variety of types onscreen. It was refreshing to see people that weren't all stereotyped. What I didn't like was the character of Brian Kinney. That he slept around and fit all the negatives as far as being the kind who only sought sex and money wasn't the issue. It was that he was portrayed as a hero that should be admired. The final seasons in which he lost everything in order to bring down Stockwell made me truly detest him. Forgotten was that his sacrifice wouldn't have been necessary if he hadn't done everything he could to bring Stockwell to power. When the gay community was under attack Brian didn't care because his plan was to be out of the city so he wasn't going to be affected. I see a parallel with many gay Republicans.

This show is missed. It had young and old. Straight and gay. Gay men and lesbians. HIV negative and positive men. It dealt with issues that anyone could relate to not just gay ones.
Yeah i didn't too much care for that Dude. He was kind of an ass, but he did what he wanted.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I enjoyed the show and its characters. The friendships were real, not like watching Seinfeld or FRIENDS. Each person had problems and troubles with life, health and relationships and that is what I found most genuine, I could not relate to some of the scenes, but over all i must have enjoyed the show as it took me almost a year to watch the episodes on demand.

The Brian Character was controversial as he was presented in a somewhat stereo typical negative light. Drugs, partying, multiple partners and against relationships. I must say I liked his character even though he was a tremendous A-Hole. Even when he was being a dick, he was loyal to his friends in his own way.

I loved the Mom, As the hard working single mom character she was great, as the supportive sister of a gay man with HIV and the Mother of a gay son, she gave it her all. If more moms were like her in reality, the coming out process would be an easier transition for more young men and woman.

Every now and again the lesbian couple made out; and yes they had great bodies :D

notN2pussy

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Maybe writing, or chemistry? I felt Brian and Micheal had the best relationship on the show, most natural? Good acting as they both were straight in real life, but maybe were friends in real life too? Brian the ass was a LOT like my brother, fuck em all! I fear I see myself in Ted!

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Maybe writing, or chemistry? I felt Brian and Micheal had the best relationship on the show, most natural? Good acting as they both were straight in real life, but maybe were friends in real life too? Brian the ass was a LOT like my brother, fuck em all! I fear I see myself in Ted!

I heard that a lot from other members when I was watching the show, that they saw something in one of the characters that they sort of saw or equate with themselves. Ted was a little insecure, but very professional, his problems with substance abuse and his over coming them was a good story line.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I enjoyed both versions - the British version was the original and the Showtime version which ran much longer and went off in some different directions. It was amazingly well cast and developed for any series - let alone one about gay people.

The character of Brian was a study of a man raised with repression who learned to put himself first to survive his environment and upbringing. Yes he caused a lot of his own and his friends problems but he was heroic in that he overcame his own limits and grew as a human being. In literature, that is what hero's do - overcome their flaws and rise above them. In that sense he was truly heroic and yes, even a good role model. He was not who we like to see ourselves, but most us at one time or another are not who we want to be either. The point is we can change and grow.

The show was a collection of just about all stereotypes that are associated with the gay community at that time and a little before it. Yet despite that it was crafted into a story of a community growing and surviving in a fairly realistic way. It was all there - bashing, HIV, marriage, children, coming out, acceptance of self and others and on an on - even lesbians on motorcycles! Most of the characters went through great changes and grew in a good, realistic way. Brian was really the true hero and warts and all realistic. Look at the guy who spoke at the GOP convention - he embraces a party that wants to limit his rights? Why? $$$$$. It's the story of humanity - it's our story as well.

Reactions: ronin001

bighosenow

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I liked the show. I thought it represented the gay community pretty accuately though not always in a flattering way. I knew people (but not necessarily friends with) who were like almost all of the characters in the series.

Reactions: ronin001

Russ311

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I enjoyed the show and its characters. The friendships were real, not like watching Seinfeld or FRIENDS. Each person had problems and troubles with life, health and relationships and that is what I found most genuine, I could not relate to some of the scenes, but over all i must have enjoyed the show as it took me almost a year to watch the episodes on demand.

The Brian Character was controversial as he was presented in a somewhat stereo typical negative light. Drugs, partying, multiple partners and against relationships. I must say I liked his character even though he was a tremendous A-Hole. Even when he was being a dick, he was loyal to his friends in his own way.

I loved the Mom, As the hard working single mom character she was great, as the supportive sister of a gay man with HIV and the Mother of a gay son, she gave it her all. If more moms were like her in reality, the coming out process would be an easier transition for more young men and woman.

Every now and again the lesbian couple made out; and yes they had great bodies :D

Thanks
I saw it when it was on first run on Showtime. My dude, who I was just sleeping with then use to compare me to a certain character. Since it's you Rodawg I'm sure you can guess who the asshole compared me to haha!!!

tncentaur

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
An interesting safe-for-tv look at urban gay culture of late 20th century.
I enjoyed it. It's almost as though the series "Looking" was a remake.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It was interesting that the Showtime version, the American version was of a British original show. Second the American version was also bases on a real location , not in America but in Canada

Liberty Avenue in PA was technically Church Street in Toronto Canada