Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It was interesting that the Showtime version, the American version was of a British original show. Second the American version was also bases on a real location , not in America but in Canada

Liberty Avenue in PA was technically Church Street in Toronto Canada
I saw the Brit one a few times but never knew when it was on during the week to get into it.

Reactions: ronin001

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I saw the Brit one a few times but never knew when it was on during the week to get into it.

One day I may give it a viewing just to compare the 2 versions.

I say the same thing about the TV show Shameless, I love the American Version and even though it is a direct copy of the original UK version, the one time I tried to watch it, though the dialog was the same I just could not get into the characters

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It was interesting that the Showtime version, the American version was of a British original show. Second the American version was also bases on a real location , not in America but in Canada

Liberty Avenue in PA was technically Church Street in Toronto Canada

Liberty Ave in Pittsburgh was not as cool as the way it was shown, but it was a cool place to hang out, cruise and meet someone. The term Liberty Ave. Boy meant rent boy.

Brodie888

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The writers of the British version made another two series called cucumber and banana meant to be watched alternately from episode to episode.

Probably a better reflection of gay issues today.

Russ311

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Maybe you don't get the Britslang?? I had a frat brother from Manchester in college who taught me what those words meant. So I guess I'm kinda quad lingual, English , French, Detroit English haha and not Manchester slang!!!

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know this show has been off the air for years, and that many of you members were probably too young to have seen it when it was on cable TV. I found the program well after it had gone off the air, but was able to watch it on demand. As this was a Gay themed program, I have heard that some in the LGBT community thought the show was great and some thought it showed the Gay lifestyle in a negative way.

Did any of you watch the program ? What were your opinions about the show / characters ?

Thanks

Loved the American version of it! There was something honest about the characters. The situations and drama seemed a bit too much for one group of characters, but that is TV series in general. TV has to cram multiple life scenarios into a small group.

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I remember the show. My feelings about this show were mixed. I enjoyed seeing a variety of types onscreen. It was refreshing to see people that weren't all stereotyped. What I didn't like was the character of Brian Kinney. That he slept around and fit all the negatives as far as being the kind who only sought sex and money wasn't the issue. It was that he was portrayed as a hero that should be admired. The final seasons in which he lost everything in order to bring down Stockwell made me truly detest him. Forgotten was that his sacrifice wouldn't have been necessary if he hadn't done everything he could to bring Stockwell to power. When the gay community was under attack Brian didn't care because his plan was to be out of the city so he wasn't going to be affected. I see a parallel with many gay Republicans.

This show is missed. It had young and old. Straight and gay. Gay men and lesbians. HIV negative and positive men. It dealt with issues that anyone could relate to not just gay ones.

See, and I liked Brian's character. I've known a lot of guys who slept around (myself included) and it fit a certain time of my life. And I did admire guys that could go around not worrying about money. I don't anymore, but I wasn't as mature back then.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Maybe you don't get the Britslang?? I had a frat brother from Manchester in college who taught me what those words meant. So I guess I'm kinda quad lingual, English , French, Detroit English haha and not Manchester slang!!!

I should take lessons one day when I visit Wales, I need to be able to converse properly in the native slang

SillyGayBoy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The show has monogamous relationships as well, but people forget that.

It has 3 good seasons 1 boring season and 1 ridiculous season. I do wish it had been a stronger show with better writing. The L word is far better and more consistent, only one weak season of their 6 seasons.

I do wish we had more of these shows. I have meant to watch Looking but haven't yet.