Twenty Minutes With John Waters

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Bbucko, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is a great little interview with "pope of filth" and "prince of puke."

I'm a long-standing fan of his work (though not necessarily one of every film: Serial Mom was an acute disappointment); the first JW film I saw first-run at a theater was Polyester. I still have the Odorama scratch-n-sniff card somewhere in the archives :cool:

There are lots of great take-aways, but I think the best is the quote about "selling deer meat for crack" :laughing:

2. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oooh I GOTTA see this. I too am a HUGE fan and saw his Christmas show here in NYC. Was hysterical. His best pre Hairspray film=Female Trouble. His worst post Hairspray=(unfort. since Tracey Ullman and Chris Isaak are in it) A Dirty Shame.

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    A Dirty Shame is the only JW film I've never seen, probably because I've never heard a decent thing said about it. Crybaby seemed oddly flat when I saw it originally, but both Pecker and Cecil B Demented improved remarkably in my estimation when I saw them again on DVD a few years back.

Desperate Living is a fabulous mess, and without a doubt Mink Stole's best performance and the last JW film where the characters seem to communicate via nothing but rant. Divine woulda fucked it up, IMHO.

4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    OMG speaking of JW his translation to Broadway of Crybaby was genius. It was so funy and the music was remarkably real rockabilly.

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Female Trouble would be a fabulous musical, too, I bet.

6. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:

I can dream can't I?!:biggrin1:

7. D_Rictiotarvic_Ephenphart

D_Rictiotarvic_Ephenphart Account Disabled

John Waters is my hero; one of the people I admire most. I just finished his most recent book, "Role Models." It's a must read for all you fans out there. (And I bet he's hung!)

8. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I did watch the clip and it was great. I was glad to hear his closing comments b/c I listen to alot of radio talk shows of MAJOR conservatives. My friends think I'm nuts for doing it but hey I think you should always know what the enemy is up to and I find it highly entertaining and I get ALOT of laffs from it when I'm cooking!

9. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    JW is right about Salo. It is a beautiful movie and horrific. It's a tad long and the last scenes are hard to watch...not like it all isn't. But it is an oddly beautiful and striking and urgent film. There's no way you can take your eyes off the screen when it starts, Luckily I got to see it on the big screen but I can see how most people would be absolutely horrified by watching it.

Draft saved Draft deleted