Two Prophecies

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BigDallasDick8x6, Oct 12, 2009.

1. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok, this is going to make all hell break loose but so what, it's a rainy day and I'm bored. LOL

So by now everyone has heard about the Mayan calendar "running out" about Dec 21, 2012. Supposedly this signals the end of this world, which is the 5th or 6th version of existence according the the Mayans. Lately there have been a few articles saying that doomsday is a Western concept being projected on the Mayan calendar, and the calendar doesn't really imply imminent apocalypse at all. Probably these articles are in response to the upcoming movie, 2012 so people don't panic? Whatever.

I find it very interesting (that's all I'm saying) that a different culture with a different religion on a different continent have a prophecy which is also about to reach a climax in the next few years -- St. Malachy's Prophecy of the Popes (some attribute it to Nostradamus) in which the current Pope is the next to the last one after which the city of Rome (and presumably more) will be destroyed.
    Prophecy of the Popes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you make of the convergence of these two prophecies? (If the Mayan calendar really does predict the end of the world and therefore can be called a prophecy.) At a minimum it's quite a coincidence and conversation starter to say the least.

Ok, flame away!

2. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

The Mayan calendar is just an end of a cycle. They could not make a perpetual calendar so eventually it had to end.

3. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

The Mayan calendar is fascinating in its accuracy although very complex.

It works on a daily basis and on a yearly basis albeit with 13 months, each month governs a period in man's history according to the Mayans and we are passing into the last, the current one is believed to mark the age where religion is surpassed by higher knowledge (science) and the last believed to EITHER mark the end of humanity or the trancension to an even higher knowledge which could be perhaps space exploration.

It is not in my opinion amazing that two phrophecies exist because they likely evolved from the same place to begin with.

Statistically the Earth is due a major asteroid/comet impact, also statistically due is another ice age. Either events could prove disasterous but humans have survived both scenarios before in history. I think that Mem is right about the end of the calendar itself.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Statistically I'm due to get laid this Thursday. It could prove to be disasterous if it doesn't happen by Saturday.

5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

LMAO! :biggrin1:

6. cdarro

cdarro New Member

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it's all BS.

7. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Christ, you're citing Nostradamus?

That idiot has never fucking predicted anything. People have always gone back in hindsight and said "Oh, look! This vague quatrain kinda matches up with what happened!" All his quatrains are so fucking vague that they're bound to come true eventually. What's that, Mr. de Nostradame? There's gonna be a disaster sometime in the future? No fucking shit, Sherlock!

Furthermore, I've never understood why people are worried about the Mayans' prediction of doomsday. Plenty of groups have predicted the end of the world (and in some instances, more than once *cough*Seventh-Day Adventists*cough*). What give their prediction more credence than any doomsaying wacko?

8. Incocknito

Gold Member

What's that you say?

Party like it's twenty eleven?

But I already partied like it was 1999!

I suppose after 10 + years we need another "end of the world"...if only so Prince can write a song about it.

In the same way that no gods ever existed / were true...none of these "prophecies" are true or going to happen either.

9. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    After reading up on that Prophecy of the Popes, I'm even further convinced it's sensationalistic drivel (which is hard to believe, considering how convinced I was before).

People seem to love end-of-the-world gloom, doom, and hysteria.

10. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    How is that raining on my parade?? It's not like I *want* there to be an apocalypse. LOL

11. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I think we should organize one hell of a 24 hour orgy for Dec 20th, 2012. What a way to go....

12. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    And no one commented on whether they had heard of the Prophecy of the Popes before. That's a fairly new one for me (2 or 3 years). I had been hearing about the Mayan calendar one for many years.

Draft saved Draft deleted