Two sad anniversaries

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
Pearl Harbor: I can only speak of what history has documented. My dad was a bit too young for WWII, but did serve 2 years in Korea. And he spoke very little of it.

John Lennon: I can speak of Lennon, as his work impacted me as a youth - the night he was shot, I was 13 and helping to paint the living room to spruce up the house for the holidays. Had the local prog rock station tuned in on the family console, and they broke in mid-song. I remember going to my room and not exactly crying, but feeling so bummed out.

9/11: it occurs to me, after searching, that I joined LPSG after the five year anniversary of 9/11. Attentions directed elsewhere :rolleyes: is why I didn't see any threads immediately. The thread directly referencing the five year centers around the idea of not sensationalizing it, but sitting here this morning, reading about sad anniversaries, remembering where I was on 9/11 and where I am five years later... I realize I've never documented this anywhere.

The morning of 9/11: I was working in an office building about 3 blocks from the Sears Tower. I heard commotion at the other end of the office, and heard the news that the second plane had hit. The only view of the Sears was from our director's corner office, and she was elsewhere. I stood there, staring at the Sears for about 45 minutes, realizing the emotional attachment to a building that symbolizes the Chicago skyline - and what emasculation had just been done to the NYC skyline, and to our country.

We were told about 90 minutes after the second impact that we could leave the building. Traffic and trains were total chaos downtown, so I chose to walk the 2.5 miles to my buddy's place where I was staying, expecting to hear a whoosh and an impact any second - so a good portion of that walk was done walking backwards, looking at downtown.

Then it was an afternoon of pounding beers with my buddy in silence, watching bodies fall from the towers on TV.

Kamikaze attacks, idols killed, school shootings, planes flying into buildings... and the world just keeps getting more weird.

Hence my sig.

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I remember that day very well because I was an undergrad student at the U de M back then. That evening, I had been studying for my finals on campus when the sounds of sirens broke my concentration. When I left my hall shortly thereafter, and looked up at the the École Polytechnique on Mount Royal, I thought there had been a fire. I found out what had happened on my way to my bus stop-- I was in total shock.

I remember that :sad: ... we used to have candlelight vigils in memory of the victims of that attack, back when I was in uni.

Yes, there are many other sad anniversaries, however, we must always remember that there is a lot of good in this world too.