U.S. Makes It Easier to Get Insurance With Pre-Existing Conditions

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
With all of the bad news dominating the threads, how about we provide something that is a bit more positive.

U.S. health officials announced Tuesday that a reduction in premiums and an easing of standards for the federally administered Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan will allow more Americans to get health insurance. Premiums under the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan, which is part of the Affordable Care Act, will drop as much as 40 percent in 18 states. And standards for eligibility will be eased in 23 states and Washington, D.C., said officials from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). - U.S. Makes It Easier to Get Insurance With Pre-Existing Conditions - US News and World Report

Although many people have their problems with the Affordable Care Act for their own personal reasons, whether it be due to the mandate or lack of a Public Option, whether it went far enough (or just because they just hate anything the government does), this is relatively good news. As being an asthmatic since a young child, I know first hand how hard it can be to get decent coverage. It's a small step, but at least one in the right direction for many people in this country.

itsthepopei

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"this is horrible get your government hands off my medicaid" The opposition is bred from ignorance not a real rational base for not liking the ACA although i would have preferred a single payer system I understand it would not be possible to get it through both houses.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
"this is horrible get your government hands off my medicaid" The opposition is bred from ignorance not a real rational base for not liking the ACA although i would have preferred a single payer system I understand it would not be possible to get it through both houses.

I'm sure this legislation will be revisited in some shape or matter. The Public Option and Single Payer were such popular items with citizens that I wouldn't be surprised if an amendment was passed in the future to add such a thing. That all depends on the political climate in Congress. IMO, trying to do something like that now especially when the debt ceiling is the more pending issue to focus on would be detrimental to its possible addition to any health care bill. Plus if Obama is actually able to win re-election, some of the calculated attacks to try to make him a "one-time president" would subside. That could also relieve tensions in Congress and allow for some real discussions to emerge. The key word is "could", of course... because we are talking about politicians and Congress. :wink:

In the meantime, I should revisit the bill and look at many of the other provisions that are scheduled to kick in over the next few years or so. With all of the other distractions generated in Politics these days, it's hard to keep a mental tab on everything that is in it.

Last edited:

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

My opposition is the mandate forced in by HMOs, it's wrong and it fixes nothing.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm generally liberal, and I agree. And not even a public option. I genuinely hope that the mandate is found to be unconstitutional when the legal challenges are complete. Imagine, the government forcing citizens to give money to the private health insurance industry with their immensely higher administrative costs. And we're trying to cut the cost of health care? Do HCR over, and do it right this time.

That being said, I'm all for the discrete, incremental improvements like the one which Vinyl has highlighted.

My opposition is the mandate forced in by HMOs, it's wrong and it fixes nothing.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

Do HCR reform over, and do it right this time..

Good luck with that :wink2: . The Republicans from Day 1 have been saying do it again. And rest assured they really mean we will do it again and gut it this time. HillaryCare failed. ObamaCare failed. The next time won't be a next time. And with them controlling the House now what was accomlished will never happen again. Though all is not lost. I have no doubt soon a 5-4 ruling from the Supreme's will come down totally gutting it anyway. Supreme Justice Roberts isn't done screwing the masses yet. He's only just begun. Before you know it you'll think we're back in 1776,

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't think we need to start from scratch when it comes to Health Care Reform. It's apparent that it's not perfect, but there are things that benefit lots of people in this country as it stands. This latest news about lower insurance costs affects nearly half the states in our country. We shouldn't repeal HCR just for one item and reverse this and all the other things that have been implemented thus far. Additional fixes can be addressed through amendments.

Repealing it would not only send us going completely backwards, but given how toxic our political atmosphere is right now it would be years if not decades before an honest look at HCR is made by our Congress again. That's not worth any one or two personal grievances with the bill.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm sure this legislation will be revisited in some shape or matter. The Public Option and Single Payer were such popular items with citizens that I wouldn't be surprised if an amendment was passed in the future to add such a thing. That all depends on the political climate in Congress. IMO, trying to do something like that now especially when the debt ceiling is the more pending issue to focus on would be detrimental to its possible addition to any health care bill. Plus if Obama is actually able to win re-election, some of the calculated attacks to try to make him a "one-time president" would subside. That could also relieve tensions in Congress and allow for some real discussions to emerge. The key word is "could", of course... because we are talking about politicians and Congress. :wink:

In the meantime, I should revisit the bill and look at many of the other provisions that are scheduled to kick in over the next few years or so. With all of the other distractions generated in Politics these days, it's hard to keep a mental tab on everything that is in it.

One can only hope. I don't see it working any other way. I do believe we're moving in that direction.

D

deleted15807

Has anyone noticed the string of recent 5-4 rulings from the Supremes? All of them against the individual and for the Corptocracy.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The mandate is fundamental to the legislation, not one small, annoying thing. I hope the mandate itself is overturned, but a way is found to maintain the positive provisions that are there.

Sorry, that's just the way I feel.

I don't think we need to start from scratch when it comes to Health Care Reform. It's apparent that it's not perfect, but there are things that benefit lots of people in this country as it stands. This latest news about lower insurance costs affects nearly half the states in our country. We shouldn't repeal HCR just for one item and reverse this and all the other things that have been implemented thus far. Additional fixes can be addressed through amendments.

Repealing it would not only send us going completely backwards, but given how toxic our political atmosphere is right now it would be years if not decades before an honest look at HCR is made by our Congress again. That's not worth any one or two personal grievances with the bill.

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The mandate is fundamental to the legislation, not one small, annoying thing. I hope the mandate itself is overturned, but a way is found to maintain the positive provisions that are there.

Sorry, that's just the way I feel.

No problem. I know a lot of people hate the mandate. But that can be addressed with an amendment to the original legislation. Even if it's one of the fundamental parts of the initial bill, it's not as if that it can't be changed.

I tend to see HCR and any bill that is signed into law as a "work in progress". When our nation changes as a society, laws need to be revisited and adjusted from time to time.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yup, one disgusting one was allowing Cable monopolies by saying the lines don't have to be shared like phone lines. The gov't is working against us, not for us.

Not to derail the thread, but cable is done for anyhow. IPTV is the next thing in television & telecommunications. Once adequate HD live streaming becomes available to general consumers at a reasonable price via the internet, regular cable services are not going to be able to compete unless they find a way to buy up all of the ISPs in order to control the internet airwaves... and I don't see that happening anytime soon. I already know a number of people who only have a computer with a big screen, and have foregone digital cable and regular TV. We really don't need it anymore.

Government is fucked up at times, but they're not against us. It is a reflection of our society since people who get elected to office come from our own ranks. We just have to choose the better ones for the job among the options that are presented to us.

D

deleted15807

And the amazing Wall-Mart decision. It is a picture perfect return to the Lochner Era.

Government is fucked up at times, but they're not against us. It is a reflection of our society ...............

That is the KEY problem VB. They are a reflection of us. As long as there are ignorant, selfish and irrational voters out there rnothing will change. America's slide into 'also-ran' will continue unabated.

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

This, absolutely.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
What does it matter if people can get insurance if they still can't afford it. People need to stop glamorizing a disastrous health care bill. The bill did not address the out of control costs of premiums or place a cap or even a percentage cap on the premiums. Neither did the Pelosi team even indicate that they ever have any plan of even trying to address that. So there's a bill that requires the insurance company to give people insurance, big whoop-de-doo it doesn't help those who still can't afford it..

D

deleted15807

So there's a bill that requires the insurance company to give people insurance, big whoop-de-doo it doesn't help those who still can't afford it..

Those who can't afford it usually end up bankrupt and usually dead because they waited so long to get help. This way the get assistance. I don't call that a disaster. And health care earlier is health care cheaper. Waiting until you're in searing pain in the ER is thee most expensive health care on the planet and that cost ends up being paid by the taxpayers.

Is it a perfect bill? No. Is it the best bill we could get when you have a bunch of crazies across the asile from you? Yes. The United States has two problems with health care. One of access and one of cost. The cost issue will have to be tackled later but once people have universal access they won't give it up. Just try taking Medicare from seniors and see how far you get.

Last edited by a moderator: