U.S. Olympic swimmer Eric Shanteau has testicular cancer

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's been revealed that U.S. Olympic swimmer Eric Shanteau has testicular cancer. He learned of it approx. a week before going to the U.S. trials; where he qualified for the 200-meter breaststroke.

Olympic swimmer Shanteau has testicular cancer - Yahoo! News

His dilemma: interrupt his training for treatment OR delay treatment until after the Olympics. Tentatively, he's decided to delay treatment and not interrupt his training.

I 60-70% agree with his decision but I have a whole lotta doubt.

Very sad.

Comments?

Attachments

Last edited:

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Most of us will never have the opportunity to compete in the Olympics, and it's fair to suppose that delaying his treatment another month is unlikely to kill him. Life is full of risks; we have to weigh the ones we're going to take. I don't blame Eric for taking this one. No doubt all will turn out well. I suspect he will feel it was well worth it.

Last edited:

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's a tough one. Testicular cancer can be VERY fast-growing. His chances of cure are high, even with this delay. However, if it hasn't spread he may be able to avoid chemo and radiation entirely. The wait decreases that possibility. Treatment has improved incredibly in the last thirty years or so with survival rates going from around 30% to 95%. More advanced cases can still usually be cured. On the other hand, if he has choriocarcinoma he could very well not get back from the olymoics on account of being dead. Eight weeks can do it. Around 8000 men are diagnsed in the U.S. each year and around 450 die of it. While testicular cancer can occur at ANY age, the demographic at highest risk is men between the ages of 15 and 35.
Another matter that is very concerning to me is that, as a highly visible athlete and with the media clucking about how "brave" he is, a very dangerous message is being given to the public. The coverage this is getting will surely result in young men postponing getting medical care when time is of the essence. It's quite possible that this story will lead to some unnecessary deaths.
Usually, when a diagnosis of testicular cancer is supect, based on solid lumps showing up on sonogram, surgery to remove the testicle is done VERY quickly, as in the next day. That is the only way to identify the type (s) of cancer and begin to stage it. The information gained from that dictates the next steps. I have a personal interest in this topic.

Dave

Last edited:

That's a tough one. Testicular cancer can be VERY fast-growing. His chances of cure are high, even with this delay. However, if it hasn't spread he may be able to avoid chemo and radiation entirely. The wait decreases that possibility. Treatment has improved incredibly in the last thirty years or so with survival rates going from around 30% to 95%. More advanced cases can still usually be cured. On the other hand, if he has choriocarcinoma he could very well not get back from the olymoics on account of being dead. Eight weeks can do it. Around 8000 men are diagnsed in the U.S. each year and around 450 die of it. While testicular cancer can occur at ANY age, the demographic at highest risk is men between the ages of 15 and 35.
Another matter that is very concerning to me is that, as a highly visible athlete and with the media clucking about how "brave" he is, a very dangerous message is being given to the public. The coverage this is getting will surely result in young men postponing getting medical care when time is of the essence. It's quite possible that this story will lead to some unnecessary deaths.
Usually, when a diagnosis of testicular cancer is supect, based on solid lumps showing up on sonogram, surgery to remove the testicle is done VERY quickly, as in the next day. That is the only way to identify the type (s) of cancer and begin to stage it. The information gained from that dictates the next steps. I have a personal interest in this topic.

Dave

I agree completely. Once again our society feels it's OK for men to sacrifice their health for some alleged greater good and even be celebrated for it. There is a grotesque double standard for health in this country.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Worst timing ever. Sucks cuz he's hella-talented. I hope he recovers and my heart goes out to his loved ones, sometimes it's just as hard on the people around you as it is on the person who's actually suffering.

iain_ware

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No matter he is American and an olympic swimmer, we are all human and I hope he makes a quick and good recovery, my thoughts are with his kin too, keep me up to date with the news...

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That is awful to happen to the guy...however, he is in the position to real help many young men out. He may just have saved countless others with his story and young guys not feeling insecure to get things checked out. He looks to be a real good guy.