U.S. passport fees go up February 1, 2008

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
U.S. passport fees go up February 1, 2008

by Anna Brones Jan 30th 2008 @ 12:40PM

Mardi Gras isn't the only place to spend your money this weekend. As of Friday February 1, 2008, U.S. passport fees are going up.

A new passport for an adult (16 years and older) will now cost a whopping $100. Granted the old fee was $97, meaning only a $3 increase, but somehow my eyes widen just a little more than usual when they see a three digit figure. For your kids, plan on paying $85, also a $3 increase over the old fee.

Getting a new passport is obviously expensive, but if you already have one, renewing it seems like something that should only cost some pocket change. The U.S. Department of State doesn't feel the same way; it increased renewal fees from $67 to $75.

If all of these fees are a source of frustration, you aren't alone. Last fall, CNN reported that U.S. Senators initiated a congressional investigation to determine whether or not the "execution fee" ($30 of the old fee) was justified. And what did they conclude? That fee was double the actual cost when imposed in 2002; in that year alone, it was estimated that the government overcharged travelers $112.7 million. The U.S. State Department responded, and the new fees that take effect on Friday comprise only a $25 execution fee. But I did my math, and despite the fact that the execution fee is less, paying for a passport is still going to cost you some bucks.

Given that passports are necessary for international travel, and since January 2007, for all air travel to the Caribbean and Canada, the new fees are all part of a bigger mess that can be discouraging for anyone who just wants to make a quick jaunt out of the country.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's not too bad. But I agree once 3 figure sums are quoted it seems more. Like $100 seems much more than $99.

UK passports cost £72 for new one or from £72 to £114 for a renewal or replacement depending on urgency and circumstances. If you want a Jumbo one, they cost from £85 to £123 depending on how urgent the need is. Childrens passports go from £46 to £81 depending on urgency.

Mine expires in just over 18 months, when I last renewed it it in 1999 it cost me £21 - had to Google that.

Oh, if you were born on or before 2nd September 1929, your passport is free unless you want it urgently in which case you pay the expedition fee only!

I know it seems a lot, but it's only $10 a year. Or £7.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's not too bad. But I agree once 3 figure sums are quoted it seems more. Like $100 seems much more than $99.

UK passports cost £72 for new one or from £72 to £114 for a renewal or replacement depending on urgency and circumstances. If you want a Jumbo one, they cost from £85 to £123 depending on how urgent the need is. Childrens passports go from £46 to £81 depending on urgency.

Mine expires in just over 18 months, when I last renewed it it in 1999 it cost me £21 - had to Google that.

Oh, if you were born on or before 2nd September 1929, your passport is free unless you want it urgently in which case you pay the expedition fee only!

I know it seems a lot, but it's only $10 a year. Or £7.

Cool, if my dad were a Brit he could get a free passport. :smile:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read something that I found kind of telling, only 25% of the American Public possess a valid passport.......
That doesn't surprise me at all. :cool:

One with 48 as opposed to 32 pages, useful if you travel a lot. Years ago if your passport ran out you could get extra pages sewn in.:smile:
Wow ,that is so cool. I would love to have that kind of life!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow ,that is so cool. I would love to have that kind of life!

From experience over the years I've just found it's quite practical as some countries require a whole page for their visa due to its size (China, Zimbabwe, Cambodia, Vietnam (Australia used to)....), and some because they seemingly don't want to share with others - such as South Africa.

Some require that your passport has at least two blank pages; India, Iran, Brazil, Indonesia, Jordan, Lebanon and many others. Some require that to be in addition to what they need; SA say they do for US citizens for example but I imagine much of this depends on nationality. Travel within the EU (for EU citizens) is stamp free.

On the subject of travel costs; I got an email from the FCO a day or two back saying that visa fees for Zambia (where I spend a lot of time) are going up from $65 for single entry, $75 for multiple to $150 and $480 respectively. :eek:

They are valid three months so I'll have to try harder to make better use of their validities. Still, they are now in line with what the UK charges Zambians (as well as much hassle) so I suppose I shouldn't gripe too much.

I'm down to about 7 or 8 pages until October 2009.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[SIZE=-1]Bir şey değil. :wink:[/SIZE]

Grr, another translation hunt.

You're welcome!
Birşey değil. (in response to "Thank you!")

At least this one isn't a dead language.

Verisimile est te haudquaquam intellegere quod dicimus; quid enim?

I know it's my own fault for using "danke".:redface:

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had to get a new passport last week and went to the local post office. The charges were $67 to Department of State, a $30 processing fee, $15 for the photo (the photo that I brought didn't meet requirements). The clerk said that it would take about 4 weeks to receive it. Every April and September, there is a 50-mile bike ride from Rosarito to Ensenada, Mexico. April's ride will be the first that we'll need a passport for reentry into the U.S.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
διορθώνω. :tongue:

Yes, it was about the only Turkish I could remember that fitted.

I'm lucky to understand your foriegn language comments at all. I'm such a google girl.

Erm, passports. You mention the renewal fee for UK passports. To renew a Canadian passport the fee is the same as getting your first. Are you allowed to retain the old one for memories or are you required to surrender it as we are here?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Erm, passports. You mention the renewal fee for UK passports. To renew a Canadian passport the fee is the same as getting your first. Are you allowed to retain the old one for memories or are you required to surrender it as we are here?

The fees can be the same, it's just you can't expedite a first passport application as much as a renewal - checks and all.

Yes, you can keep the old one if you ask, they cut the corner off and give it back. Though my immediately prior one which was packed full to overflowing and had stamps from at least one country which no longer exists and some very unorthodox and not immigration related stamps (Paraguan air force and Machu Picchu for example) was destroyed on the grounds that is was trashed, despite my asking for it back.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had to get a new passport last week and went to the local post office. The charges were $67 to Department of State, a $30 processing fee, $15 for the photo (the photo that I brought didn't meet requirements). The clerk said that it would take about 4 weeks to receive it. Every April and September, there is a 50-mile bike ride from Rosarito to Ensenada, Mexico. April's ride will be the first that we'll need a passport for reentry into the U.S.
That sounds wicked cool! I bet the countryside is just beautiful too! Is it a race or more of a leisurely tour? :confused: How long on average does it take to complete?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cool, if my dad were a Brit he could get a free passport. :smile:

Well I think there ought to be some benefits. A free passport wouldn't be high on my list. Also I'm not 80 years old though I wonder if that date increments each year so maybe one day I'll get my freebie.

It's almost worth hanging on for.:rolleyes:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I've got exactly 3 vacant spaces on the last page of my 'Mericuhn passport and it expires June 2008. Talked with the 'Mericuhn consulate here in lovely Buenos Aires (think of the worst version of a mobile home for temporary use by the DMV in your state, that's the only part of the consulate we get to see) and I was pointedly told that I would [exact wording follows] "Find it difficult to renew my USA passport at the USA consulate in Spain or anywhere else outside of the USA." There was sort of an inference that this is yet another thing the State Department has decided not to do. As it is, about the only thing that USA consulates do is issue visas for international travelers needing to travel to the USA and charge U$S80 to notarize the first signature on a legal document for use in the USA and U$S30 for every subsequent signature on the same document. Makes doing business a bit expensive, especially when you consider that your USA-based bank or credit union offers the same service for free.

However, if anyone really cares, it is very legal to possess a USA passport and a second or even third passport from other countries, as long those countries have no laws prohibiting foreign passports or as long as the USA is not currently at war with the country willing to issue you a second or third passport to use as a resident of that county (not citizen, but resident).

As for how many 'Mericuhns possess passports, the last I read (but I do not believe everything I read, just what I see on TV) the number was about 9% of the entire population of the USA. I'm certain that number is slowing rising as the State Department and its underling affiliates work feverishly to catch up issuing new passports as well as renewals.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm lucky, I don't have to renew mine for another 4 years. By then, though, they will likely have raised it again.

Unfortunately, my passport is not just something that "allows me to make a quick jaunt out of the country." I'm still refusing to give the DMV my social security number, and they are still refusing to issue me either a driver's license OR an official state non-driver ID.

On an odd, tangential note, I had one retail shop (initially) refuse to accept my passport as a valid ID, they were demanding my driver's license number when I paid with my credit card. The manager eventually, reluctantly agreed to use my phone number instead.