U.S. Political Debaters

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Only in New England, right? I recall that recently Brattleboro, VT voted to charge G.W. Bush and Cheney with "crimes against humanity", and to arrest them on sight if they enter the town.

Has your town ever considered moving to a town or city structure?

Having grown up in Massachusetts and New Hampshire myself, I can vouch for the feeling of empowerment one gets from such directly-participatory democracy.

It's only when layers of professional bureaucrats get involved that a sense of apathy in local governance becomes more obvious and understandable.

In response to the OP:
Mayor: the infamous Jim Naugle
Senators: Mel Martinez (no friend of a friend of Dorothy's); The other is so ineffectual that I had to look it up (and a Republican to boot).

Florida is changing dramatically in terms of demographics, but the GOP is entrenched here and nothing short of an outbreak of plague will change it. Many of the newcomers come from places where such things as civil rights for gays in housing and employment are mythical fairy tales, and most are more disturbed by the decline in the value of their housing than in the thirty-plus year fight to get a Gay Pride parade approved by the city.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Only in New England, right? I recall that recently Brattleboro, VT voted to charge G.W. Bush and Cheney with "crimes against humanity", and to arrest them on sight if they enter the town.

Has your town ever considered moving to a town or city structure?
The form of government is determined by state law and the size of the town.......our town is mandated to have a board of selectman, town mnager, and an open town meeting.