U.S. Poll: Racism Goes Stealth

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
God bless you MZ. It's like old school lpsg.:smile:

Thanks for setting the trap Lex.

Nice dig Speedoguy even though not quite accurate if you knew my history.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
God bless you MZ. It's like old school lpsg.:smile:​

Thanks for setting the trap Lex.​

Nice dig Speedoguy even though not quite accurate if you knew my history.​

What the hell was the 'Speedoguy' dig? The truth and hypocracy of the drug laden, victimized Rush Limbaugh's on the airwaves...please!

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Spiker the fact that you called yourself a half breed is a sign of disrespect. Anyone of average intelligence can get some type of education. Every single minority family I know that has succeeded, insisted their children get an education. A family here had 12 children. The dad worked as a ditch digger. Every single one of those children is a professional person. It isn't easy but it is possible. I am glad things are easier for you as an Indian where you live. It isn't the case in all places. I have had people refuse to speak to me because of the color of my skin. They acted as if I didn't even exist. As a shock to you, they weren't caucasian. If you want to raise your family up and maintain it for generations to come, get an education. Hence, the United Negro College Fund. I know many older black people who fought racism. I know a man who marched with Martin Luther King in Washington. They all stress education.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Shelby are you wickedly smart enough for the true 'new world order'?:cool:

I think everybody should be running scared.

Shelby, I'm not done with you yet. Come and play. The official records here show that your IQ is only 120 and I'm sorry that just isn't good enough. I'll put in a good word for you though. I'll tell them your dick is a couple of s.d. above average. Don't worry the genetically engineered virus kills the stupid quickly. Achtung! We will create a master smart race and Shelby you just aren't good enough. Sorry :) Next!!!

There you might start to know what racism feels like. Run around insecure in your true viability or right to live.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Spiker the fact that you called yourself a half breed is a sign of disrespect. Anyone of average intelligence can get some type of education. Every single minority family I know that has succeeded, ....

I apologize Hootie I'm German, Canadian-Indian, French, Swedish, Spanish, and Amerindian :) not Seminole. Though if I could be Seminole I would be.

And I enjoy calling myself a half-breed. You should read up on the genetic benefits.

Also, I'm sorry for your personal experiences.

Wrat

Expert Member
Media
As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know, we went through a thing once on here about race and perception, I don't remember exactly how it started, but I do remember we took a test where we had to look at faces, and identify which ones we liked more.

Races such as Eastern Indians, who are more caucasian looking, do better because they are better accepted. Well, that's a small part of it. Also, we are only getting the higher-caste Indians here- basically the cream of the crop, because that's who can afford to come. I suspect the same is true of many of the better accepted foreigners anymore.

There was a time when we were the land of "bring us your tired, your hungry, your poor", and THAT'S who founded this great nation. Many of the white people who first settled here were exactly that, many came as indentured servants, Blacks came as slaves, Chinese came basically as slaves too. Cultural differences have largely affected how those injustices were dealth with, and it seems Africans don't feel like just shutting up and taking it up the ass, like the Chinese decided to do. Also, the Chinese and Japanese were integrated better into society after WWII, after we humiliated ourselves with our concentration camps. They are "whiter looking", but somebody still has to be the nigger, right? It's just easier to pick on the darkest-skinned people, because they're easier to identify. It's also easier to blame them for their lack of integration, because it then relieves us of the pressure of having to admit to our own lack of kindness.
We act like they're given equal opportunity, even though study after study shows this is simply not true, then ask "Why haven't you caught up yet?"

Stupid, Shelby- really stupid. Yes, YOU are holding people down by not accepting the fact that their lives are not the same as yours. Everyone who thinks this way is STILL part of the problem.

This really isn't what racism is. You can't pretend that most people who grow up in an environment where racism is the norm can just stop thinking a certain way. It's much deeper than that. At a very early age we learn to identify the differences between ourselves and those who do not look like us, and at a very early age children learn to create the social blockade that we call racism. If this pattern of social maneuvering is reinforced by role models as a child you will likely never completely shake it. If you grow up in a tobaco town in Eastern North Carolina you will say every one of those nasty racial slurs, regardless of what color you are, almost every day of your life. There is no amount of growing up or education or exposure that will ever completely remove your impulse to keep the social distances you learned as a child. Suggesting that we can just choose to discriminate against the most identifyable minorities ignores this, and telling people how to think is not solving the problem. There aren't really just a bunch of hardcore hate-mongers holding out on us just to be mean and make racial harmony impossible. These people couldn't change their minds if they wanted to, and if they tried they might never get all the way there. There would always be something keeping them from letting go of their notions. Telling them to change the way they think is like shooting tanks with tennis balls. It's going to take a lot longer than that, and it will be a change in cultural norms.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Shelby,

You ran away! I saw you reading the thread for a while.

I was just having fun :)

No hard feelings? I was just trying to paint racism in a different light. I think its a cogent idea. Does it have some flaws you'd like to let me in on?

It was simply a gendaken experiment.

Peace,
Spiker

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This really isn't what racism is. You can't pretend that most people who grow up in an environment where racism is the norm can just stop thinking a certain way. It's much deeper than that. At a very early age we learn to identify the differences between ourselves and those who do not look like us, and at a very early age children learn to create the social blockade that we call racism. If this pattern of social maneuvering is reinforced by role models as a child you will likely never completely shake it. If you grow up in a tobaco town in Eastern North Carolina you will say every one of those nasty racial slurs, regardless of what color you are, almost every day of your life. There is no amount of growing up or education or exposure that will ever completely remove your impulse to keep the social distances you learned as a child. Suggesting that we can just choose to discriminate against the most identifyable minorities ignores this, and telling people how to think is not solving the problem. There aren't really just a bunch of hardcore hate-mongers holding out on us just to be mean and make racial harmony impossible. These people couldn't change their minds if they wanted to, and if they tried they might never get all the way there. There would always be something keeping them from letting go of their notions. Telling them to change the way they think is like shooting tanks with tennis balls. It's going to take a lot longer than that, and it will be a change in cultural norms.

Unfortunately, this is EXACTLY what racism really is, thanks for the clearer description.

Yes, change will come very slowly, generationally. The question is really this: Why has it taken us in America so long to accept Blacks when we have been willing to accept other races more easily?

Also this- "Black" is not a race, it's a colour. There are people from muliple nations who have dark skin, such as Indians. Why are only the ones of African decent discriminated against? In this poster's opinion, it's because of the institutionalised racism of which you speak. It's such a part of the fabric of who we are that we dare not even address it.

It is my firm contention that until we DO pull up our pull-ups and start talking frankly about it socially, it will NEVER get better. Stupid people train their kids to be stupid, and we'll never wash it completely away until we bring it out into the light, scrutinize it, and laugh and the idiots who hold fast to their "traditional" beliefs that they actually have some validity (racist ideas, that is).

"MY daddy said "nigger" and my neighbors say "nigger"" isn't a good enough excuse for ME to say it, see? I'm an adult, and I alone have the power to direct my own mouth. If I use it to cast aspersions on whole groups of people based on nothing more than skin tone, what that really reflects is ME- who I am as a person.

It's lazy and weak to blame the past for our own immorality. We choose to be who and what we are, and I prefer not to be a racist.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Shelby, I'm not done with you yet. Come and play. The official records here show that your IQ is only 120 and I'm sorry that just isn't good enough. I'll put in a good word for you though. I'll tell them your dick is a couple of s.d. above average. Don't worry the genetically engineered virus kills the stupid quickly. Achtung! We will create a master smart race and Shelby you just aren't good enough. Sorry :) Next!!!

There you might start to know what racism feels like. Run around insecure in your true viability or right to live.

Wtf official records are you talking about? Fact is, on generally accepted (perhaps biased?) tests, I blow that number away. But I don't choose to flaunt it as if I'm some kind of better than you sob.

Iq is highly overrated. Life skills rock.

ps - I won't run away.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Wtf official records are you talking about? Fact is, on generally accepted (perhaps biased?) tests, I blow that number away. But I don't choose to flaunt it as I'm some kind of better than you sob.

Iq is highly overrated. Life skills rock.

ps - I won't run away.

I don't believe you.:biggrin1:

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Shelby,

You ran away! I saw you reading the thread for a while.

I was just having fun :)

No hard feelings? I was just trying to paint racism in a different light. I think its a cogent idea. Does it have some flaws you'd like to let me in on?

It was simply a gendaken experiment.

Peace,
Spiker

I like the word cogent. But wtf does gendanken mean?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was thinking about what the one guy said about racist ideas that were learned in early childhood being difficult (he made it sound impossible) to shed later. Children don't just develop these things on their own. I don't even think most children notice right away.

When I was two, my nursery school teacher was trying to teach us acceptance of differences. I remembered everything she said for a long time, but I couldn't unnderstand what she was talking about. I was on board with her for deaf people. I was on the same page for what she referred to as retarded people. I knew some kids with those struggles, and recognized them as different already. But when she was describing white people, and making sure that wee knew that white was a misnomer, but that they were actually pink and brown, just like everyone else, I had no idea what she was talking about. I didn't know what a white person was. I didn't know what my own race and ethnicity were. for some reason, I didn't go home and ask either. It became one of those things I assumed would make sense some day, like all the adult jokes I overheard and laughed at when I did grow up. I'm not sure when it finally clicked. I know that at a certain age, I cried in my mother's arms because I found out I wasn't white, and understood that to mean I was ugly. My mother assured me that being non-white did not make one ugly, and that I wasn't ugly. She tried to find out where I'd gotten such a concept. Irrespective of my mother's intervention, I certainly didn't unlearn the idea that only whites and those as white as possible were attractive until high school. Of course now, I think very, very highly of my looks, and the happier I am with them, the more poositive feedback I seem to get.

For the record, I knew a lot of white people when I was two. I just didn't know they were white, or what something like that meant.

I remember a story told to me by the mother of a 4 year old I cared for as part of an internship.

On the trip home, the little girl kept stealing glances at a white woman across the aisle of the bus. She'd been taught not to stare. Eventually, she couldn't contain herself and she asked, "Excuse me, Miss. How come you're not brown like me?" The woman wasn't sure how to answer, and the mother was embarrassed.

I got the little girl to talk to me about it. She told me she felt bad for the woman. "Because. She has no brown at all!"

We were in the shared office space of a city council member, and a state senator. I'm sure she'd seen white people before. I wonder how many she saw before she noticed the difference. And how interesting that only a little over a decade later, she was celebrating her blackness and her brown skin, in contrast to my sorrow about discovering my own brown skin.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
I like the word cogent. But wtf does gendanken mean?

If I didn't fuck up the spelling (memory from quantum physics class) it is German for thought experiment, which is what Einstein practiced developing his theory on relativity :)

Is that it? Thats your comments? Please, clean up in aisle 4, its a puddle of Shelby again...lol

:rolleyes:

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Dude,

I only have a certain amount of time I can wait around on a taunt.

Here's another Shelb: "The smartest thing going for you so far is your avatar. Who is that wickedly smart looking face? I might have to stalk her."

Later :)