U.S. Poll: Racism Goes Stealth

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If I didn't fuck up the spelling (memory from quantum physics class) it is German for thought experiment, which is what Einstein practiced developing his theory on relativity :)

Is that it? Thats your comments? Please, clean up in aisle 4, its a puddle of Shelby again...lol

:rolleyes:

Gedanken are just thoughts. A gedanken experiment is a thought experiment. Einstein was lousy on quantum physics, even though his Nobel Prize was for the quantum explanation of the photoelectric effect, and neither Special nor General Relativity, contrary to popular belief.

Maybe "popular" isn't the right word there.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Gedanken are just thoughts. A gedanken experiment is a thought experiment. Einstein was lousy on quantum physics, even though his Nobel Prize was for the quantum explanation of the photoelectric effect, and neither Special nor General Relativity, contrary to popular belief.

Maybe "popular" isn't the right word there.

I don't get this are you telling me what I already know? You don't think they would talk Einstein in qm texts? Or that his relativity thought experiments about traveling on a beam of light ....

I'm tired. This will probably make sense tomorrow. But they are interesting facts...

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You will never eliminate racism because you will never eliminate ignorance. Ignorance that is perpetuated in culture and religion. And this is not unique to white cultures and religions.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
God bless you MZ. It's like old school lpsg.:smile:

Thanks for setting the trap Lex.

Nice dig Speedoguy even though not quite accurate if you knew my history.

Hey, I just pasted the content of a CNN article without comment (did you notice?). My thoughts in racism, classism and sexism should be clear to all by now (if not obvious to many).

I really prefer when you actually discuss the topic moreso than when you troll and try to upset people. I like to think you are better than that, and you usually prove me wrong. Sad.

And I'll be fucking you up the ass after Zora is done. You need it.

Once you go Black...

Wrat

Expert Member
Media
As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unfortunately, this is EXACTLY what racism really is, thanks for the clearer description.

Yes, change will come very slowly, generationally. The question is really this: Why has it taken us in America so long to accept Blacks when we have been willing to accept other races more easily?

Also this- "Black" is not a race, it's a colour. There are people from muliple nations who have dark skin, such as Indians. Why are only the ones of African decent discriminated against? In this poster's opinion, it's because of the institutionalised racism of which you speak. It's such a part of the fabric of who we are that we dare not even address it.

It is my firm contention that until we DO pull up our pull-ups and start talking frankly about it socially, it will NEVER get better. Stupid people train their kids to be stupid, and we'll never wash it completely away until we bring it out into the light, scrutinize it, and laugh and the idiots who hold fast to their "traditional" beliefs that they actually have some validity (racist ideas, that is).

"MY daddy said "nigger" and my neighbors say "nigger"" isn't a good enough excuse for ME to say it, see? I'm an adult, and I alone have the power to direct my own mouth. If I use it to cast aspersions on whole groups of people based on nothing more than skin tone, what that really reflects is ME- who I am as a person.

It's lazy and weak to blame the past for our own immorality. We choose to be who and what we are, and I prefer not to be a racist.

I'm not sure that we can use the concept of "blame" for what is obviously an anger reaction to fear. I believe that the instinct to preserve social boundaries is more powerful than our conscious efforts to change our own feelings. A person raised in this environment will have no control over an aversion towards the African race.
Okay, that said, I do believe that this instinct can be forced under the surface, and that reasonable people can be taught to be accepting and loving. Most people are not destructive by nature, and teaching them that racism is destructive is useful. By doing so we might be able to prevent these people from teaching racism to their children.
I think what we need is to address the issue more aggressively in the school systems. Children learn very well from teachers and tend to sometimes be able to reject their parents heartfelt beliefs. I believe that this can also work to a certain extent with adults. When Ted Turner started his big national newspaper he directed his editors to make sure that there was a photograph of a non-white person on the front page of nearly every section. This is at least a good way to desensitize those adults with racist tendencies. I think that's about the best you can hope for in this generation.
As far as being lazy and weak, well... Okay. But, as an example, if being an accepted part of a social group is the key to holding a job, which in many cases it is, and you love your family enough to keep that job then there are other issues to consider. I think love for family trumps the necessity to boldly assert ones opinions on racism in the workplace. That is a real issue. It actually exists.

OKFarmer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was always taught in school that because I was pale-skinned, I had to list my ethnicity as white. I have dutch, german, irish, middle-eastern, native american, scottish, and spanish ancestry (listed in alphabetical order not percentage). Because I was pale, I wasn't OTHER, I was to put down caucasian/white. My background is as much otoe as it is anything else; however, my ancestors on those lines didn't sign "the rolls". One side didn't because it was shamefull to have to sign a paper to prove you were native. The other side didn't because at the time native americans weren't considered fully human so murdering or raping native people wasn't really a crime in their area.

My wife is lenape with english lineage. The native side of her family was forced to Oklahoma as well as many other tribes. However, the Lenape were deemed not to be a tribe given its own area so they had to pay to be adopted by the cherokee tribe. When the original rolls went out they had to pay the tribe again to be allowed to sign. Her family and many others moved to Arkansas several years later. While they were away the final official rolls were signed without telling those who had moved off that they had to come back and sign again. Thus they were kicked out of the tribe. When the Lenape gaine official recognition, her family was unable to rejoin because of government policy.

Two things that stand out in my mind about racial relations/racism from a personal side:

1) My parents taught me respect for all people without heed to ethnicity. When I was about 6, I remember watching an elderly black man walk up to the door of the shopping center my dad and I were visiting. A line of people pushed past him as he hobbled along. Dad held the door and waited for the man to walk in first. The man bent down to me and said, "Boy, you learn from your daddy because he is a true gentleman."

2) I took the psat for the first time during the last year I was allowed to take it. I had no clue that it had anything to do with scholarship, but just thought I'd take it for practice. Thus I didn't try very hard but took it just to see what kind of questions future exams would ask. I later found out that had I been anything other than a white or asian male I would have been a national merit scholar. I was 1 point short of the cutoff. For any other status of ethnicity/gender, I would have been granted it.

Racism and discrimination are still around. I personally wish that both would go away. I would prefer a world that allows people to be proud of their heritage yet gives everyone an equal opportunity to prosper. Sadly it will be a long time before that happens. The thing I have to remember is that I live in a nation that grants as much legal protection to those who promote hate as those who promote understanding and peace.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
I really prefer when you actually discuss the topic moreso than when you troll and try to upset people.

I have an ongoing internal debate about this. I enjoy heated debate. Because of this my posts are often purposely provocative. Is that the same as trolling? Maybe so. I apologize for when it is.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Another tangent: Has everyone seen, or at least heard the music to, the Broadway musical Avenue Q? There's a song in it titled, "Everybody's A Little Bit Racist". Hilarious and enlightening all at once.

Hell yeah! Damn good musical!

Anyways, as a society, it's human nature to at least NOTICE people's differences, but the real point, is what do you do about it.

For example I've never met a native American, I would not expect that person to be giving me a lecture on the wholeness of mother Earth!

We use enforced sterotypes not only on colour, but facial features, hairstyle, visual appearance to judge people before they have said a single word. It's cruel, but true. But what we need is an understanding that skin colour is not a +/- modifier of desirebility.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have an ongoing internal debate about this. I enjoy heated debate. Because of this my posts are often purposely provocative. Is that the same as trolling? Maybe so. I apologize for when it is.

I know you have more to offer that just the veiled opinion as smart-ass comment.

You want people to hear you, but most don't because you come off as a drive-by shitter.

Just my observation.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Staying humorous here (after mentioning Avenue Q) --

Racist remarks in modern cinema. I submit this clip from Clerks 2.

Complete scene:
YouTube - Clerks 2 Porch Monkey Scene

Better sound, shorter, but covers the important stuff:
YouTube - Clerks 2 - Randal on Racism

:biggrin1:

(PS -- however, neither clip shows Randal later when he has "Porch Monkey 4 Life" spelled out in masking tape on the back of his shirt)

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
This leads into an KILL THE MUSLIMS! GET THE OIL!!!111 kind of thread.
Actually, that's a prime example. I can't see the War on Terror happening if the Chechan rebels (also Muslim) had cause 9/11, despite the shit they're doing in Russia...monsters!

After all, who gives a shit about Pakis? It's all collatoral damage.