U.S. Schools: A Legacy in Search of a President

thoswood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Survey says: most agree that public education is in bad shape. Nominees for Actual Causes of the problems are many, and many of those vary from state to state and localit to locality.

Big D did mention charter schools as a model for change, and some have had magnificent results-- especially when parental involvement is high. In this state, charter schools have been less successful than early charter experiments elsewhere. Aside from poor test scores, abysmal compensation for staff, and plain business corruption, charter schools here have uncut the argument that private enterprise can solve public problems. The biggest beneficiaries of charter schools have been the individuals and non-profit corporations that have been running them.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
It's not all about parenting and you know it.

The larger issue is that bad schools anywhere are ALL Of our problem. and we need to do something about it (or at least improve the things we CAN).

I didn't say all I said most.

Did you go to public school? If so did it prevent you from achieving all you have? Many kids actually attend the public school system and go on to great success. Minorities even if you can believe that.

Sure there are bad schools and they are everyone's problem. I just think the larger solution to the problem involves a cultural sea change.

Lucky_Luke

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I found this on CNN.com today and it certainly peaked my interest as a lifelong special educator and a univeristy instructor or pre- and in-service educators.

Our schools are in BAD shape, people and we have to do something about it as a nation.

I pasted the entire article so that you can read.
One small problem.

Education is primarily a State responsibility. The Federal government's control over education is minimal at best.

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
As an educator, I don't believe that there is just a one fix fits all solution. Pumping more money into the educational system isn't going to solve all of the problems. It goes beyond that. Yes, schools need to be properly funded so the students are provided with sufficient amount of material in order to learn. But the parents and the community also need to get involved in the public education system as well. Teachers are now expected not only to educate our children, but to practically raise them as well. Do you realize how hard it is to teach an unruly student who constantly disrupts the class? Then when there is no parent to come into a meeting or does not respond to any form of communication it makes the situation so much worse. Trust me, all it takes is one or two students to throw off the dynamics of the classroom. I also think that we should look at those countries who perform better. Maybe we can implement a few of their ideas. It could just be a cultural thing as well. Despite all the negativity I have seen some very bright students who I'm sure will be of great benefit for the future generation.