Ugandan death penalty for homosexuals

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Andy627, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Andy627

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  2. Adam Bleytou

Adam Bleytou Active Member

Albums:
  3. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I just finished watching the entire movie and have several comments.

I lived in Fiji from 1994 to 2004. One of the things I learned is that many people in 3rd world countries are easily led; they have not been taught to think critically and will often believe what their leaders tell them, even if it is untrue. Sometimes they are led to do things which are clearly unChristian. For example, following the 19 June 2000 military coup which overthrew the duly elected democratic government, on TV you could see Methodists marching through Suva (the capitol of Fiji) burning and looting while singing Christian hymns. So, I am not surprised that people in Uganda could easily be worked up into an anti-gay frenzy.

Note that the religious leaders in Uganda are telling lies which they themselves may believe because they have heard them from visiting American evangelicals. They have convinced many people in Uganda that there is a gay agendum the purpose of which is to recruit children into homosexuality. That is not a new idea; some religious leaders in the U.S. in the 1970s promulgated that same idea here. I was very much around at the time and saw and heard it. However, the religious leaders in Uganda, in addition to that, are saying that gay men eat each others feces. Obviously we've heard of such things, but know that it is highly unusual. They also make it look as though we all engage in fisting.

Despite denials from Uganda, it is American evangelicals who have started the hate frenzy in Uganda against gay men and women and provided the Ugandan leaders with the verbal ammunition to do their nefarious work. And, these same American evangelical leaders deny that they have done so. However, we know that among all too many Christian (or perhaps "Christian") leaders, honesty and integrity are virtues which are not considered particularly important; some are more concerned with enhancing their power and influence and will say almost anything to do so.

Although several governments and human rights groups are trying to forestall draconian anti-gay legislation, my impression is that they are not doing so as effectively as they could. I could, however, be mistaken because I have not seen or heard everything they are doing. Among things they should definitely be doing are telling the people of Uganda, including especially the politicians and the religious leaders, that gay men and women do not recruit, that many of the practices of which gay men are accused are highly unusual, and that the only "gay agendum" is to get equal treatment.

It looks as though the draconian anti-gay legislation, which includes life and death penalties, has been delayed, but it may still eventually be passed. Even if it is not passed, the situation for gay men and women is horrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted