Ugh. A huge tree fell in my parents backyard

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This happened today just past midnight. He said it sounded like a plane crashed into the house. It was between 100 and 150 feet tall. Luckily most of it fell on a neighbors house which was abandoned, and I think is owned by the city. It also did some damage to the next house over. Luckily my parents house did not have any internal damage and only minor external damage on the siding and railing.

I just got off the phone on a 3 way call with the Insurance company. I am all wound up and pacing due to this news, but I am grateful that it was not worse, and his homeowners policy should cover the damage.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What kind of tree? Is it any good for firewood?
Chop it up and burn it!

I don't know what kind of tree, probably oak. I'm sure it's good for firewood, they don't have a fireplace and the Insurance company will be in charge of the expensive removal (I hope).

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This happened today just past midnight. He said it sounded like a plane crashed into the house. It was between 100 and 150 feet tall. Luckily most of it fell on a neighbors house which was abandoned, and I think is owned by the city. It also did some damage to the next house over. Luckily my parents house did not have any internal damage and only minor external damage on the siding and railing.
I just got off the phone on a 3 way call with the Insurance company. I am all wound up and pacing due to this news, but I am grateful that it was not worse, and his homeowners policy should cover the damage.
See what happens when you abandon your aged parents for a life of drunken debauchery in Florida. :tongue::kidding: I'm VERY glad that no one was hurt and that their home sustained only minimal damage.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Some insurance companies consider that sort of thing an "Act of God" (I shit you not) and don't cover it.

I hope that's not the case. If you cut down your tree and it falls on your house it is not covered, I think "acts of God" are.

They are sending someone over tomorrow so I think it's covered. I spoke on three way with the insurance company and she never even hinted that it might not be covered.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hope that's not the case. If you cut down your tree and it falls on your house it is not covered, I think "acts of God" are.

Yes.. probably right.

But once, here in Masschusetts, a squirrel was trapped in our dining room (came down the chimeny flue). The house was closed up for the winter and by the time spring came all 19th century muntins had been chewed to shit. (Squirrel was found dead and decaying on the rug)

When we contacted our Insurance Co.. they refused to cover it since the little bastard had somehow found his was down the chimney stack.

They are sending someone over tomorrow so I think it's covered. I spoke on three way with the insurance company and she never even hinted that it might not be covered.

TERRIFIC! Good news.

I think you're ok.:smile:

JUST FOUND THIS:

"Trees
Damage caused by falling trees, usually as the result of a weather event such as high winds or snow, are often defended as acts of God. While trees are normally considered an asset, they can cause serious damage and are a serious responsibility. Tree owners are responsible for maintaining the condition of their trees. A tree that is unhealthy or improperly cared for can quickly become a hazard. An extreme weather event will cause the inevitable to happen, but the responsibility lies on the party who allowed the tree to fall into a dangerous state to begin with."

Last edited:

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
About a year ago, when I lived in the Atlanta area, ice and wind brought down this big beautiful tree into my neighbor's house and the house on the other side of him. Took months for all the work to get done so everyone could move home again. Glad you only suffered minor damage!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks to all for the kind words.

I hope it's covered and the insurance company does not say that the tree was already in bad shape. Before we called the insurance company my dad said if he had to pay for it he will, I just hope it doesn't get his hopes up and they don't cover it.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Bad news. The insurance company came and they say they will not pay to have the tree cut up and removed. They will pay for damages to the house, but luckily they are minor and external. The neighbors have to file a claim with their own insurance companies. I have no idea what will happen to the abandoned house. My father is going out to try and find someone to remove the tree.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Damn, where I grew up a lot of people heat with wood and peopel woudfl be begging for that tree. Usually whenever a tree fell on my parent's property they usually had several people come by and offer to remove it for free so they could have the firewood.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Damn, where I grew up a lot of people heat with wood and peopel woudfl be begging for that tree. Usually whenever a tree fell on my parent's property they usually had several people come by and offer to remove it for free so they could have the firewood.

I put an add up on Craigslist. It can't hurt. I wrote that the tree was down and you have to cut it up to get your own firewood.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I got some better news. The insurance company will pay him about $1200 for the damage to the siding, railing, and BBQ. That will help with the tree removal.

I told him he should move to an apartment. It would be about the same cost as the taxes and heating and maintenance costs. My mother is ill and is sleeping in the dining room in a hospital bed. My father sleeps on the couch to be near her. They have 3 bedrooms upstairs that are not used.