'Ugly Sheilas' wanted for dusty mining town in Australian outback

Runco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Any volunteers? Me - I cannot say I am charmed. I am waiting to see who would describe themselves as 'ugly' to fill this remit myself!

Article

Mayor John Moloney has sparked an outcry over his sexist comments

With men in the Australian Outback famed for their blunt ways it cannot be easy to find love in a dusty mining town where they outnumber women five to one.

So the Mayor of Mount Isa, John Moloney, has appealed for 'ugly ducklings' to settle there.

The outspoken mayor said: “If there are five blokes to every girl, we should find out where there are beauty-disadvantaged women and ask them to proceed to Mount Isa.

'Quite often you will see walking down the street a lass who is not so attractive with a wide smile on her face.

'Whether it is recollection of something previous, or anticipation for the next evening, there is a degree of happiness.”

He added: “Often those who are beauty-disadvantaged are unhappy with their lot. Some, in other places in Australia, need to proceed to Mount Isa, where happiness awaits.

'And, really, beauty is only skin deep. Isn’t there a fairy tale about an ugly duckling that evolves into a beautiful swan?”

It's a man's world: The Australian mining town Mount Isa where men outnumber women five to one

Builder Paul Woodlands, 25, from Mount Isa, said: 'Blokes are not as picky here. You take what you can get.'

Patricia O’Callaghan, from the Mount Isa Chamber of Commerce, told the Times that most of the town’s women found the mayor’s comments offensive.

She said: 'He’s not really painting a fair representation of the women in Mount Isa. They are not very flattering comments for people who live here.'

'We have enough problems already attracting people to our town because it is a mining town, so there are always the usual stereotypes that come with being a mining town. Comments like this don’t help.'

According to the paper, in 2006 there were 819 females aged between 20 and 24 living in the town, compared with 994 in 1996.

Women may find a gem there. Greg Norman and tennis player Pat Rafter were born in the town.

Runco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Builder Paul Woodlands, 25, from Mount Isa, said: 'Blokes are not as picky here. You take what you can get.'

:rolleyes: Charmed, I am sure! On the plus side, I can see a major sausage fest waiting for a few lucky women but come on - they could have at least TRIED to polish their publicity material! :rofl:

The really funny thing was when I saw this, it put me in the mind of that Jackie Chan film - I think it was Rush Hour 2 - where Chris Tucker said

"All the Triads and ugly women on the left side of the room and all the fine women on the right side of the room". (Because ugly women aren't really women, are they?!). Cruel? Yeah. Laugh? I almost split my sides laughing! :rofl: :rofl:

B_johnschlong

Experimental Member
Media
Look, Australians are criminals imported from the filthy prisons of England. It's normal for them to be blunt, sexist, racist and xenophobic - all common traits in the common criminal.

So this story doesn't come as a surprise. It describes the true nature of the true Australian male, who used to rape women and murder children in England.

You can take the criminal out of England, but you can't take the Englishman, err... oops. Something like that.

In any case, knowing Australia, I'm not shocked. It's a very primitive, racist, brutal, mysogynistic society full of alcoholics and a few good Olympic swimmers.

Runco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Look, Australians are criminals imported from the filthy prisons of England. It's normal for them to be blunt, sexist, racist and xenophobic - all common traits in the common criminal.

So this story doesn't come as a surprise. It describes the true nature of the true Australian male, who used to rape women and murder children in England.

You can take the criminal out of England, but you can't take the Englishman, err... oops. Something like that.

In any case, knowing Australia, I'm not shocked. It's a very primitive, racist, brutal, mysogynistic society full of alcoholics and a few good Olympic swimmers.

You what? There is always one, isn't there...