UK Election Night

Ohh interesting. Thanks. Never would've known that.
I'm sure she'd like to vote, but I don't she'll be abdicating anytime soon :biggrin1:
She doesn't normally let her political feelings be known, unless it involves keeping the Commonwealth together. She's known to have liked Churchill tho, and to have heavily criticised Thatcher...but that's about it?

Current Result:
Conservatives = 291
Labour = 247
Lib Dems = 51

So..hung Parliament.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I gave up after about 2 hours of election tv last night, possibly the slowest and most boring thing on television for a while (and that's saying a lot)! I went to sleep about middnight and woke up this morning to find the same people on TV saying pretty much the same thing.

Hung parliament it is!

I only watched about 20 mins, from 11:30. Easier to track it on the pc, lol.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
i watched the alternative election night in C4 with some friends over a bottle of red. Went to bed about 12.

Im very dissilusioned with it all. Someone stole my Poliing card, which i thought i never recieved, and voted on my "behalf". So my first general election and they didnt let me vote.

Scot22

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i watched the alternative election night in C4 with some friends over a bottle of red. Went to bed about 12.

Im very dissilusioned with it all. Someone stole my Poliing card, which i thought i never recieved, and voted on my "behalf". So my first general election and they didnt let me vote.

If you know who stole the card(which isn't legally a requirement to vote) you can notify the police.
It is a very serious criminal offence to impersonate another at elections.:mad:
Next time,tear up your polling card,and just go along to the Polling Station.:smile:
Alternatively,ask for a postal vote.

Last edited:

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response

That's really shitty that someone stole your polling card, do you need to report such things? I also watch C4's alternative coverage however there was far too much Jimmy Carr and not nearly enough Charlie Brooker.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

On the radio they were just talking about whoever it is whose job is to oversee elections. They were talking about those people who got locked out of polling stations and asked them to contact their website to say what happened. I expect they would be very interested to hear about your case too. If you went along to vote and they turned you away, I would have expected them to have made a note of it to investigate. All ballot papers are numbered so they can trace the paper that was given out in your name and disallow it. Probably doesnt matter, but if someone won by 1 vote.... On the other hand, if they did nothing about it, then they were probably breaking the law themselves. So the elections watchdog people would want to know.

electoral commission https://extranet.electoralcommissio...on-voting-problems-at-the-uk-general-election

Last edited:

That's awful Lemo, sorry to hear about that. :(

I didn't actually vote at all...my card said I could go along and vote...but I wondered if I needed to register too? My own fault for leaving it too late...

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I do believe Mr Cameron is offering an olive branch. He just suggested the country needs electoral reform, and he feels that electoral reorganisation to constituencies of equal size would be a good idea. This would cut away some of the labour parties inherent advantage in England, and if the number of scottish seats was reduced, cut away its advantage there. If he feels this disadvantage to labour might compensate any disadvantage to the conservatives from introducing single transferrable vote, well, we might just have a 5 year government. How interesting.

On the other hand, I can see this setting a bonfire under the SDP members and any of the other area parties afraid of swinging cuts to jump onboard a lib/lab/nat coalition.

Clearly the libs would need cast iron guarantees on electoral reform happening immediately so the cons couldnt suddenly cut and run with a new election. But if the cons are to agree to STV at all, doing so as part of a ready-formed working partnership might be a path to long term future government. Any switch to coalition governments in the Uk means they would need a permanent center-left working partner.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was up till dawn watching the results so right now I'm cream crackered. And I'm working tomorrow too. :frown1:

My penny worth is that the Conservatives have to do a deal with the Lib Dems. Conservative plus DUP doesn't quite add up (though it does strengthen the Conservatives' hand). The state of the markets pretty much demands an agreement. I think they should take a deep breath and give Lib Dems whatever they want with the proviso that a PR change should have proper discussion (along with other electoral systems) and go to a referendum. I'm not convinced the people would vote for PR. But right now that doesn't much matter.

Similarly Lib Dems have to do a deal with Conservatives. Con are the biggest party. Only a Lib Dem - Con agreement will settle the markets. The point is that Lib Dem - Lab will scare the horses, and the Lib Dems are good enough economists to know that. Additionally propping up Brown (or insisting on an unelected Lab PM) are both wrong politically.

Right now both parties must be more knackered than I am and that's not a good time to be making a decision. Yet they really need an outline agreement by Sun eve. leave it much into next week and the markets are going to turn against us.

There is an argument that being forced to co-operate will knock the corners off the Conservatives. There is also an argument that agreement on the budget by two parties might persuade the third to agree also, so we could actually have true consensus.

I'm upset by this result - I think it is a very bad blow for Britain and therefore the well-being of every one of us in the UK, making us all poorer - but I do think it is possible to find a silver lining.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
That's really shitty that someone stole your polling card, do you need to report such things? I also watch C4's alternative coverage however there was far too much Jimmy Carr and not nearly enough Charlie Brooker.

Im assuming it was one of the two girls i live with whom i dont get on with. I havent been staying at home for the past 2 weeks because i cant stand them and need to do work, so when i collected my mail all they had left was the polling letter. I assumed as i registered on the last possible day that they might just not have sent one.

I cant accuse, and i planned not to mention anything in the expectation that, being they are stupid and drunk alot of the time, they would slip up and i would hear them confess in advertently. Thanks to a mutual friend telling them what happened, they know i think its somone in the house and will be more careful. What pissed me off was that i know who they would vote for to annoy me. The BNP. They know im a left winger, and they know i do alot of stuff against the BNP locally and nationally. As two gay people, their naivity in using my vote to vote BNP angers me most.

However, i cant just expect it to be them, it may be an error at the poling station. They were 3 very stupid sounding women, who laughed when they told me what happened. I told her i didnt find it very fucking funny, and she shut up then and said i could vote and it would be sent seperately and put in a seperate envolope. I told her im not stupid and i knew it wouldnt be counted, but did it nonetheless but i wasnt very happy.

If i find out its them, im going to report them. If i find they got the guy i think they did to impersonate me, im going to report him and beat him up. He has been racially abusive to people in my house when ive been away and been racially abusive to a friend. Im just waiting to go at him anyway, so when i hear him mention it i may just snap.

Anyway, the system is currpt anyway. Didn't wanna even vote.:biggrin1: Power to the people!

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was up till dawn watching the results so right now I'm cream crackered. And I'm working tomorrow too. :frown1:
i gave up about 4 though I napped a bit. It was obvious by then we just werent going to get a definite answer for some time.

My penny worth is that the Conservatives have to do a deal with the Lib Dems. Conservative plus DUP doesn't quite add up (though it does strengthen the Conservatives' hand). The state of the markets pretty much demands an agreement. I think they should take a deep breath and give Lib Dems whatever they want with the proviso that a PR change should have proper discussion (along with other electoral systems) and go to a referendum. I'm not convinced the people would vote for PR. But right now that doesn't much matter.
Its all very interesting. The deal breaker is and always will be the question of electoral reform. Between them they have enough mps to see out a whole parliament, but there will be tantrums along the way. The libs really cant afford to not get voting reform, so it has to be done right away. No pontificating committees and Cameron has to be able to deliver his mps votes. On the other hand, the cons must know its their best card to keep the libs on side, so might be tempted to delay and delay (aside from self interest). The coalition would not be hamstrung by dependence upon lots of minor parties, which will bedevil Cameron should he try to do it with the small parties and tiny majority. The alternative would be to engineer a second election quite soon, but who could guaranteee what the new result would be?

But aside from that I think a mix of lib and con policies could work well together. Theyd have the parliamentary majority and also a majority of the national vote, both of which may prove important in the next few years. Theyd be able to claim they were reflecting the will of the people to work together. Although you may have gathered id prefer majority lab to majority con, I think lib-con coalition may be better than any of the parties by itself. If they can get a working relationship which will last through very bad times.

Similarly Lib Dems have to do a deal with Conservatives. Con are the biggest party.
I dont know what the numbers are: An alternative scenario which Brown has made plain is to engineer an alliance with the regional parties, which might not even need too much bribing if they fear instead being left out of a con-lib agreement. Im not sure how the numbers are running, but it sound like they could create a majority just big enough to pass an electoral reform bill before having a new election, which would then guarantee they had a better position and the cons would be out in the cold.

Only a Lib Dem - Con agreement will settle the markets. The point is that Lib Dem - Lab will scare the horses, and the Lib Dems are good enough economists to know that.
You worry about this too much. Maybe I am too trusting, but I believe what all the politicians are saying, that its going to be fine. More seriously, it will. Labour arent fools and the cons would be truly stupid to try to attack a labour government with a tiny majority making necessary cuts. It would destroy them to be opposing measures needed to sort the budget defecit.

Additionally propping up Brown (or insisting on an unelected Lab PM) are both wrong politically.
I think the last point is pure propaganda and ridiculous, but yes, there are difficulties siding with Brown. Though as i said, I think them image difficulties rather than financial competence ones.

Right now both parties must be more knackered than I am and that's not a good time to be making a decision. Yet they really need an outline agreement by Sun eve. leave it much into next week and the markets are going to turn against us.
its been quite interesting watching various people (david steel) talking about how they need to take their time. I keep thinking hes stalling to take pressure off them so they can talk. I agree, the sooner the better. Also the libs have some grand meeting tomorrow, so if i was them, id want to have both options neatly arranged to put to the meeting by then.

Brown is now quite blatantly positioning himself for a lib coalition, but he has rather blown it. He could have introduced PR last parlaiment, maybe he wanted to keep it as a bargaining tool. The numbers mean it would be very difficult to run a 5 years government with the libs. Interestingly I think Clegg may have been trying to position himself for a lib-con deal for some while. Maybe he also watches Portillo on TV, who also suggested this outcome maybe a month ago. Might have been interesting had he become conservative leader, but the timing was bad and maybe it would have been too awful a task to turn them around.

If Cameron does this honestly it will be a game change in british politics. Maybe he also thinks the game change is inevitable. Conservative spokesman have been going round saying there have never been so many gains in one election. But that only reflects how bad their situation was before, and ignores that they still failed to win. They must know this. We now have our first Green MP, from a four way marginal.

I'm upset by this result - I think it is a very bad blow for Britain and therefore the well-being of every one of us in the UK, making us all poorer - but I do think it is possible to find a silver lining.
Well I cant say, but I believe it a better result than a con win. I'm entirely used to liberal new dawns which turn out to be oncoming train wrecks but there is potential here for reinvention of british politics. It not obvious reform partly on their terms has to be bad for the conservatives. Fundamentally, when did you ever see a politcal party put national interest before party interest? They can only agree to reform if they can see a way through it.

BigMac9

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
So to lower the tone... did anyone find any of the candidates hot?

I thought Zac Goldsmith was totally hot, but then hated myself for thinking it... even more when he ousted the lib dems in richmond!

Things don't look good for the uk with Cameron in charge... just hope Vince is made chancellor in a coalition.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media

I thought Zac Goldsmith was totally hot, but then hated myself for thinking it... even more when he ousted the lib dems in richmond!

Things don't look good for the uk with Cameron in charge... just hope Vince is made chancellor in a coalition.
I dont find politicians hot. More reason for them to bring in more women.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Lemon - I assume your local polling station logged the issue and it will have been recorded by the returning officer (along with the figures on spoilt votes). There is a system of sorts for dealing with such problems.

More to the point it suggests that someone has gone out of their way to impersonate you, which is a cause for concern. It may well be an idea to phone your local police station (not 999) and log the incident. If you think you know who it is (but can't prove it) you may still want to tell the police of your suspicions. It is possible that being asked by the police would prompt a confession. Or maybe not. Of course false voting is a serious offense - if proved it would probably lead to community service as a punishment.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
Lemon - I assume your local polling station logged the issue and it will have been recorded by the returning officer (along with the figures on spoilt votes). There is a system of sorts for dealing with such problems.

More to the point it suggests that someone has gone out of their way to impersonate you, which is a cause for concern. It may well be an idea to phone your local police station (not 999) and log the incident. If you think you know who it is (but can't prove it) you may still want to tell the police of your suspicions. It is possible that being asked by the police would prompt a confession. Or maybe not. Of course false voting is a serious offense - if proved it would probably lead to community service as a punishment.
The thing is, i have to live with these people for a few more months, and whilst i may not always stay here anymore, i still have all my posessions here, and i cant be bothered to get things all up in the air. They are stupid as i have said. They will let it slip and i will deal with it appropriately.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I didnt honestly see many. Those appearing most tend to be more, er, my generation.

However, returning to politics, Portillo just came out on the radio saying he felt proportional representation was inevitable and Cameron therfore ought to go for it now.

Portillo, is as an ex tory cabinet minister so comes at issues from that side, but being forcibly retired also has some distance from pure party politics. He keeps denying having any official connection with them any more, but I do begin to wonder if he isnt helping out by floating ideas for them. He has an, er, checkered private life and my ex fancied him (time was).