Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
So to lower the tone... did anyone find any of the candidates hot?

No.

The one who was visually striking was Gordon Brown. He looks beyond tired - basically he looks ill. I think in the hype we sometimes forget that our politicians are human. After the 1997 election John Major was drained, some say on the verge of a breakdown. The last month for the three party leaders has been horrific - and it goes on.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Someone stole my Poliing card, which i thought i never recieved, and voted on my "behalf". So my first general election and they didnt let me vote.

...at the poling station. They were 3 very stupid sounding women, who laughed when they told me what happened. I told her i didnt find it very fucking funny, and she shut up then and said i could vote and it would be sent seperately and put in a seperate envolope. I told her im not stupid and i knew it wouldnt be counted, but did it nonetheless but i wasnt very happy.

The thing is, i have to live with these people for a few more months...They are stupid as i have said. They will let it slip and i will deal with it appropriately.

Im assuming it was one of the two girls i live with whom i dont get on with...If i find out its them, im going to report them. If i find they got the guy i think they did to impersonate me, im going to report him and beat him up.

Don't beat up the guy or report the girls as the authorities need evidence to prove their guilt, as do you. Nor waste time waiting for a confession to clear up your identity theft and voter fraud mystery. You are already on the register of voters. Report this matter to the Electoral Commission to prevent it happening again, and register your new address a.s.a.p. so that you will be ready for the next general election.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I think we need 324 to govern (The 4 Sinn Fenn MP's wont take their seats).

I understand that the Tories have won the most seats but the Clegg and the Libs will get much more out of Brown than they will out of Cameron (Brown needs them, Cameron not so much). If the Libs and the Tories come to terms, the government might survive for a while.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Being Lib Dem i am as dissapointed as the party members with the outcome. The problem for them is that every election is the same where the majority of the electorate vote because they want to either keep another party out of control or protest vote for the opposition.

It's actually a positive thing that despite losing seats the Lib Dems have increased nationwide support. If PR was enacted they would have 23% of the seats instead of just 9%. The first past the post system is unfair.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Heres a comment on government I found,

'I felt that as a pre-condition for success it was essential that we should take the public into our confidence by a frank revelation of the facts. It might give temporary encouragement to our opponents. This consideration always arose whenever it was a question of taking the public into your confidence. Sometimes there are weaknesses and defects which it is important a nation should keep secret, in so far as that is possible. That involves not revealing them to your nationals. What is known to millions of people cannot be long preserved as a secret from the knowledge of the world. But if it is withheld from your own nation then you cannot rouse national apprehension, zeal and energy in the task of remedying the deficiencies. To judge where the balance of advantage lies is one of the most perplexing and responsible tasks of statesmanship.

Liberal Prime Minister, David Lloyd George. Defecit anyone? We got one?

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't think that the LDs can win from this despite everyone calling Nick C the king maker. I can't recall too many king makers surviving the demise of the King.

Theres two possibilities. Go for a 5 year parliament with the conservatives or a short one with labour.

With labour theres immediate action on electoral reform. Assuming the house of lords refuses it takes 2 years, but they may not. Wouldnt it be amusing that the government could no longer use the old liberal trick of getting the queen to create some extra friendly peers to guarantee the right result in the lords, because labour took away their voting rights without doing the reform properly? Once thats done, new election with pretty much guaranteed better result for lib/lab. If the conservatives refuse to cooperate on essential financial measures they are committing suicide anyway.

With the conservatives there would be spats about several policies. Most are not essential and are differences important in a FPP election, where the floating 10% is vital, not in a PR one, where bulk support matters. So policy compromises would ultimately matter less....provided the cons can deliver on PR. In 100 years they havnt agreed to it, so thats kinda a bad sign. If they cant agree, then it looks like its the rocky road with Brown. The one plus of presiding over the reform themselves would be they get to weight it their way as much as possible. Labour would still favour the historic settlement of extra seats for Scotland, which favours them. The cons could get rid of it.

Brown is being statesmanlike and waiting. Perhaps hes counting on Cameron being unable to deliver PR even if he wants to.

No, perhaps there is a third option. Labour is too small, so it would have to be a minority conservative government propped up by occasional liberal support. It might then be easier for all the opposition parties to gang up on the conservatives, for example over PR. The Scottish solution. The conservatives would be completely hostage to parliament. Obvious advantage, they would be the figurehead and get the blame and ridicule for incessant defeats and terrible financial position. Which could just be their worst nightmare and a very big incentive to do a real deal with the libs.

I saw one or two conservatives talking about how obviously they would be the senior partner and the libs would have to do as they were told. I dont think so. Vote share 3:2, cabinet ministers distributed 3:2.

Last edited:

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A couple more statistics I came across this time round:

Labour did worse in terms of vote than John Major did in 1997 when he was routed.

Conservatives did worse than Neil Kinnock when he was routed the time before in 1992.

so this famous conservative victory is worse than labours showing at the slightly insane Kinnock election? Which brings us back to Portillos conclusion that first past the post is dying on its feet and support for the two main parties simply dribbles away more and more every single election.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It also underscores what I have said many times; no single party is trusted enough, or deemed competent enough to govern. The electorate may hate Labour (esp one of them) but it would seem neither do they trust the Conservatives.

One might argue that it's a side effect of a manifestly undemocratic democracy, or perhaps it's just that they don't want to take their medicine?

Amid the clamour for electoral reform, it seems to have been overlooked that PR would have achieved a broadly similar result (i.e. no majority party) - although it would have allowed a choice of two 'easily obtained' majority coalitions, rather than one this time, and would probably do so for almost every General Election, so go figure.

One 'benefit' of FPP is that it tends to lead to stronger Governments, or abuse by them - either may apply. Contrast with ... for example ... Italy for an illustration.

The divisive nature of party politics is nearer the real root of these cyclical and destructive issues, more than electoral methodology, IMO.

Last edited:

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The electorate may hate Labour (esp one of them) but it would seem neither do they trust the Conservatives.
Do they hate labour? All we are talking about is 5% of votes moving from labour to conservative, which sounds like 90% havnt changed their mind about anything.

One might argue that it's a side effect of a manifestly undemocratic democracy, or perhaps it's just that they don't want to take their medicine?
But no one has even asked them to take their medicine! All parties have refused to talk about it. I think you might say all parties which have failed to explain how they will deal with the budget defecit have been rejected except by their core diehard supporters.

Amid the clamour for electoral reform, it seems to have been overlooked that PR would have achieved a broadly similar result (i.e. no majority party)
Well perhaps the people who voted to create this current three way impasse did so quite deliberately attempting to create the same result they would have obtained by PR. The problem is the parties refuse to accept the wishes of the electorate, not that people have told them something they dont like.

One 'benefit' of FPP is that it tends to lead to stronger Governments, or abuse by them - either may apply. Contrast with ... for example ... Italy for an illustration.
Id be quite happy with constituency elections on single transferrable vote for the commons. negotiated vote within each constituency is fine by me. I dont mind that a local MP should represent the consensus of just his own voters. But Id balance that with proper PR in the system somehere, the obvious choice being the house of lords. Truth is, in the british system even with this situation the main parties are still trying to overturn the voters choice, not work with it. The system gives them hope that next time they will be the lucky ones. History over the last 50 years says they are wrong. yes, we get majority governments but with a steady decline in their vote and poularity. It will come to an end one day. Parliament now simply does not represent people.

The divisive nature of party politics is nearer the real root of these cyclical and destructive issues, more than electoral methodology, IMO.
The FPP system encourages parties to chase the swing voters at the expense of their core voters (who are guaranteed). PR makes them at least slightly less prone to this. As things stand its only the swing 5% that matters. Thats why we get UKIP, BNP: because the main parties ignore their base, because they have to, and it drifts away. They are trying to be all things to everyone and it just doesnt work any more. No one feels a party represents them. You have to allow small parties a place in the system.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Amid the clamour for electoral reform, it seems to have been overlooked that PR would have achieved a broadly similar result (i.e. no majority party) - although it would have allowed a choice of two 'easily obtained' majority coalitions, rather than one this time, and would probably do so for almost every General Election, so go figure.

These two points i'll comment on. The first comment is strictly untrue because in a FPP system a majority government only needs majority seats to be considered as a majority despite almost always failing to represent 51% or more of the electorate. In a PR system there would only ever be a hung parliament if the share of total votes were tied which would be practically unlikely to ever happen so a majority government would be strictly the party with the biggest share and it would'nt matter so much about how small the largest share is if all the other major parties are gaining seats in parliament which better reflect their national support.

On the second point it would effectively force party politics out of play in favour of working together for the benefit of all under PR system.
No one feels a party represents them. You have to allow small parties a place in the system.

I agree. I don't like the idea of a party like the BNP having seats in government but if they have enough voters supporting them then so be it because it is a ridiculous system that we have that allows BNP seats in Europe but not in their own country. FPP is just old like the two parties that oppose PR cos it would'nt be in their favour, so much for working for the people. :rolleyes:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do they hate labour? All we are talking about is 5% of votes moving from labour to conservative, which sounds like 90% havnt changed their mind about anything.

Well obviously not all of them. I was using the term 'hate' metaphorically, although for many it's quite real. :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting they love labour - there's a risk in any inference that a failure to change one's vote means affection for its target. Like most things political, it's a matter of degree and in that vein, this is a discussion board, we're not dealing with absolutes here.

But no one has even asked them to take their medicine! All parties have refused to talk about it. I think you might say all parties which have failed to explain how they will deal with the budget defecit have been rejected except by their core diehard supporters.

Well. that's just wordplay.

Anyone who isn't a confirmed halfwit surely understands that major public spending cuts (and some related rises) are necessary regardless of what the three monkeys spake (or didn't). Those who fail to grasp the blindingly obvious don't generally merit my consideration, the reasons for which should be obvious.

Well perhaps the people who voted to create this current three way impasse did so quite deliberately attempting to create the same result they would have obtained by PR. The problem is the parties refuse to accept the wishes of the electorate, not that people have told them something they dont like.

Yes, 30 million voters acted in concert ...:rolleyes:

Id be quite happy with constituency elections on single transferrable vote for the commons. negotiated vote within each constituency is fine by me. I dont mind that a local MP should represent the consensus of just his own voters. But Id balance that with proper PR in the system somehere, the obvious choice being the house of lords. Truth is, in the british system even with this situation the main parties are still trying to overturn the voters choice, not work with it. The system gives them hope that next time they will be the lucky ones. History over the last 50 years says they are wrong. yes, we get majority governments but with a steady decline in their vote and poularity. It will come to an end one day. Parliament now simply does not represent people.

It never really did. I mean when exactly did Parliament fairly and equitably represent the 'man in the street'?

PR is the Lords is all but pointless, not a bad idea but really, what tangible benefits would it bring given it's limited legislative authority? Of course mainstream parties are at odds with most of the electorate, the raw numbers alone evidence this, again. That's surely news to no-one.

The FPP system encourages parties to chase the swing voters at the expense of their core voters (who are guaranteed). PR makes them at least slightly less prone to this. As things stand its only the swing 5% that matters. Thats why we get UKIP, BNP: because the main parties ignore their base, because they have to, and it drifts away. They are trying to be all things to everyone and it just doesnt work any more. No one feels a party represents them. You have to allow small parties a place in the system.

Why? I mean if 3 people voted for party X out of 40 million votes cast doesn't that suggest party X don't have much to offer - or are they merely tragically misunderstood?

FPP is indeed flawed for many reasons, neglecting core voters for the undecideds being merely one. Without 'Party' politics people might feel less constrained from voting on the issues.

For politicians to be more fairly represntative of such desires generally requires more granularity of represention, a move opposite to that generally mooted. Local councils can seek to fill that gap, but really, for the most part how well does that work.

Heaven forbid that such a thing might lead toward true democracy rather than away from it!! Still, there seems little or no danger of that occurring since it requires active, (preferably) informed participation by people.

There will always be 'fringe' parties, with views that could never be comfortably absorbed by the main ones without alienating far more support than such a strategy would garner. If such issues cease to be 'fringe' then that's evolution. See above.

One solution might be to impose the same rule for representation in Parliament as applies to deposits; win less than 5% of the vote and you get none. Not especially democratic, to be sure - but then neither is what happens now.

Things do need to change, but I think it's more complex than just PR, literally and methaphorically - because people need to change too. Which brings me back to three paragraphs up ...:cool:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
These two points i'll comment on. The first comment is strictly untrue because in a FPP system a majority government only needs majority seats to be considered as a majority despite almost always failing to represent 51% or more of the electorate. In a PR system there would only ever be a hung parliament if the share of total votes were tied which would be practically unlikely to ever happen so a majority government would be strictly the party with the biggest share and it would'nt matter so much about how small the largest share is if all the other major parties are gaining seats in parliament which better reflect their national support.

How is it strictly untrue? That most elections held under PR would result in a 'hung' parliament (or as happened on Thursday under FPP) was somewhat my point - that no single party would have an outright Parliamentary majority either by virtue of seats or votes.

On the back of this, that 36% of the vote can almost do so is indicative of the point many are making, the FPP system is manifestly undemocratic. Or did I misunderstand what you wrote?

On the second point it would effectively force party politics out of play in favour of working together for the benefit of all under PR system.

Ideally, perhaps. Or would it more likely lead to endless paralysis, corruption and such like. I'm not picking on Italy but something like 60 coalitions/governments since WW2 suggests something isn't working!

I agree. I don't like the idea of a party like the BNP having seats in government but if they have enough voters supporting them then so be it because it is a ridiculous system that we have that allows BNP seats in Europe but not in their own country. FPP is just old like the two parties that oppose PR cos it would'nt be in their favour, so much for working for the people. :rolleyes:

You're surely not under the illusion that politics is about working for the people ... despite them is as much charity as I can summon right now.:biggrin1:

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well obviously not all of them. I was using the term 'hate' metaphorically, although for many it's quite real. :rolleyes:
And I was pointing out that if 90% voted this time much the same as last time, theres not much hating going on, if any. You are presuming people changed heir vote out of hate without any evidence.

Are you suggesting they love labour
Im not suggesting that any more than you should be suggesting hate: we dont know.

Dong20 said:
Dandelion said:

Well. that's just wordplay. Anyone who isn't a confirmed halfwit surely understands that major public spending cuts (and some related rises) are necessary regardless of what the three monkeys spake (or didn't). Those who fail to grasp the blindingly obvious don't generally merit my consideration, the reasons for which should be obvious.
I doubt anyone has judged who to vote for on the basis of how they intend to make 100 billion in cuts, because none has said a word about it. im not a half wit, have spent hours reading about this and Im not sure whether we face a disaster or not. Its very unclear. Anyone who has only listened to the debate highlights may have seen politicians queried about this, and every time they say we will make some efficiency savings and it will be fine. They all say this, none argue. They have all put forward their view that this isnt an issue.

Yes, 30 million voters acted in concert ...:rolleyes: {to arrange a hung parliament}
No, 90% voted just as last time, So 3 million voted to engineer a hung parliament. Worked quite well.

It never really did. I mean when exactly did Parliament fairly and equitably represent the 'man in the street'?
Thats true. But nowadays people are more interested and more rebellious. So once they would have voted lab or con depending if they were dustmen or lords.Now hardly anyone is either and it is blatantly obvious they are not being represented. A bunch of professional politicians has totally run away with the ball and we want it back. Carry on that way and suddenly you get abreakthrough of 200 BNP when they get to the critical mass.

PR is the Lords is all but pointless, not a bad idea but really, what tangible benefits would it bring given it's limited legislative authority?
well since you ask, a years delay is sufficiently long to be annoying, and then very annoying if every bill keeps being rejected by the lords. Whats more, if the lords was clearly representative and keeps disagreeing with the commons, people will start to notice that their will is being blatantly flouted by the commons. Then come next election... The accusation levelled against the lords evry single time it challenges the commons is that it is undemocratic and should stop interfering. Being elected proportionately it would truly represent the conscience of the nation nagging at the government. There is absolutley no justification for any kind of elected government in a democracy which isnt democratic. What did you say was the justification for the commons? That it gives a clear result? Why is this good?

Of course mainstream parties are at odds with most of the electorate, the raw numbers alone evidence this, again. That's surely news to no-one.
Goodness! Theres hardly a politician on the telly just now who isnt arguing that because they got 1% more than the other chap then the united will of the people means they must have their way. It seems to be news to them: someone needs to explain it to them quite pointedly.

Why? I mean if 3 people voted for party X out of 40 million votes cast doesn't that suggest party X don't have much to offer - or are they merely tragically misunderstood?
For example, we a have a green! Exactly the same applies to lib dems. It is very hard to get in if you are a lib dem, but then suddenly there is a by election, people vote what they want instead of how they feel they must, and suddenly a lib appears. Then they hang on for decades. Under the current system people believe they cannot vote for the party they want, because if they do they will end up with the party they hate. Surely this is obvious? But if you reckon the population doesnt want any of the fring parties and I reckon they do, then give me single transferrable vote and we will see. If your right nothing will change. If im right, we will get a lot more libs and greens.

Without 'Party' politics people might feel less constrained from voting on the issues.
When was the electorate ever asked to vote on an issue? er? staying in the EU about 1975? Never since?

For politicians to be more fairly represntative of such desires generally requires more granularity of represention, a move opposite to that generally mooted.
What do you mean? At present to get into power you have to have the support of 40% of the population. Thats not very granular. To get an MP you probably need about 40% in any one constituency. Now, on PR you might need 1/650 of the total votes cast nationally to get 1MP, maybe 100 votes per constituency. The alternative under the present system is for the 60,000 trainspotters all round the country to all move to Crew, put up someone for parliament and vote for him. That would work, but is it fair to require them to do this?

Local councils can seek to fill that gap, but really, for the most part how well does that work.
It did work 100 years ago. More recently all their powers have been taken away by central government, so it doesnt work at all.

Heaven forbid that such a thing might lead toward true democracy rather than away from it!! Still, there seems little or no danger of that occurring since it requires active, (preferably) informed participation by people.
Im an informed chap, but whats the point of voting for who i want. They cant win....Why would a sensible person waste their time going to vote when they know it will have no effect? You presume people dont care, rather than they have made a sensible decison it is a waste of time.

One solution might be to impose the same rule for representation in Parliament as applies to deposits; win less than 5% of the vote and you get none. Not especially democratic, to be sure - but then neither is what happens now.
Thats true, but since it would have to be accompanied by a rule that if you get 6% you get 6% of members, it would be much more fair than now. Were you seriously suggesting that because plaid cymru got 0.6% of the vote their three members should be barred from parliament?

Things do need to change, but I think it's more complex than just PR, literally and methaphorically - because people need to change too. Which brings me back to three paragraphs up ...:cool:
Yes. Why do you presume people are incapable of making an informed choice between more than 2 parties? The actual attempts by any party to explain themselves to voters are truly pathetic...because under our system it doesnt matter.

How does PR work exactly? Is it the Party who gets the most votes country-wide that gets in? How do the seats get apportioned out - and would it mean some constituencies ending up with a candidate they hadn't voted in?

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
How does PR work exactly? Is it the Party who gets the most votes country-wide that gets in? How do the seats get apportioned out - and would it mean some constituencies ending up with a candidate they hadn't voted in?

A serious practical problem. There as many ways to make it work as you can imagine. The EU elections currently work on big constituencies with 5 or so candidates. so that 1/5 of the vote to get one. Someone has 30%, you give them a seat and chop 20% off their total. Then find the next biggest, give them one and chop off 20%...until all seats are gone.

Or take the national vote and do likewise 30% of vote, 30% of seats.

I think government works well when politicians are forced to argue out disagreements in public. So there needs to be power centres. This was the fundamental idea behind the US constitution, and at that time behind the UK constitution too. Lords, commons and monarch all having to agree to get something done. Now the monarch does nothing and the lords, er, checks the spelling and grammar of bills. So what you have to do is reintroduce disagreement.

I still like the idea of local constituencies for one house and a national vote for the other. 4/5 years people seem to like for the commons but I dont see why the lords, if designed to be proprtional shouldnt be shorter, even like local councils where 1/3 gets elected each year. A running opinion poll. Fixed time elections to coincide with local elections, to keep down costs and also keep up interest. so 100/150 people elected each year from whichever 1/3 share of the local council places was up for that year. I think youd need two separate ballot papers, but thats fine. could be a wholly national election, or still divided into regions with 10/15 people standing in each, which would mean a 10% minimum vote to get one member. This may be too big, but I think politicians would insist on some minimum, but on the other hand having regions, eg one for wales, means the nationalists would get a fair chance.

The commons election needs to be modified to single transferrable vote. so rate the candidates 1,2,3 etc as far as you want to go. Works fine for the London mayor elections.