UK hands control of Basra to Iraq forces

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BASRA, Iraq (Reuters) - Britain handed over security in Basra province to Iraqi forces on Sunday, effectively marking the end of nearly five years of British control of southern Iraq.

Thousands of Iraqi police and troops paraded along the embankment of the country's second-biggest city in the largest show of Iraqi military force since the days of Saddam Hussein.

The British were welcomed into Basra in 2003, but residents soured to them. A BBC poll showed the overwhelming majority of people were glad to see the British go.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071216/tpl-uk-iraq-43a8d4f_3.html

The British Government has committed to further reduce its 4500 (less than 10% of the initial deployment) troops to 2500 by mid 2008.

I wonder what the future holds for the citizens of Basra.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Follow on story: BBC NEWS | Middle East | Zawahiri says UK 'fleeing Basra'

Apparently, al-Zawahiri is deluded, out of touch, or nuts. Below are some quotes that I'll call unintended humor:
... the decision of UK forces to "flee" Basra shows that Iraqi insurgents are gaining strength.

... the US-led coalition was "defeated and looking for a way out" of Iraq.

"Reports from Iraq point to the increasing power of the mujahideen and the deteriorating condition of the Americans. The decision of the British to flee is sufficient [proof of this]."
Is he living in a cave?:smile:

sweatyblackballs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why did they go in there in the first place with their protestations of ending the war on terror. Young British Soldiers lost their lives and then we hand control over and leave the residents of Basra in turmoil and banal circumstances. Yesterday on Panorama, they said now control has been handed over women are being killed for wearing bright colours and lipstick and their corpses are thrown into the streets to dishonour them as prostitutes. Men and women and children being killed for having aided British media and we just ... pull out! Something tells me the British Government just continue to have their own interests at heart. Basra should be better off, but ... unfinished business anyone?

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If you mean a Sunni Arab, no, I don't think that will happen. They are at risk of succumbing to an Iran-style "Islamic Republic".

I won't make any predictions.