Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yahoo News article:

Gay sheep shed light on homosexuality
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Gay sheep that mate only with other rams have different brain structures from "straight" sheep, a finding that may shed light on human sexuality, U.S. researchers said.

The differences are similar to those seen in some homosexual humans, but probably only go a small way to explaining the causes of different sexual preferences, the team at Oregon Health & Science University said on Monday.

"We are not trying to explain human sexuality by this study," Charles Roselli, a professor of physiology and pharmacology who led the study, said in a telephone interview. "Whether this is a big component of what contributes in humans, that's still debatable."

Working with a team at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Sheep Experiment Station in Dubois, Idaho, Roselli's team studied 27 sheep -- 10 ewes, nine rams that mated only with other rams and eight rams that mated only with females.

The "gay" sheep are strongly homosexual, Roselli said.

"They don't pair-bond," he said. "But they are exclusive. They don't court or mate with females. They only court and mate with males."

First the scientists watched the sheep to be sure of their behaviour -- something that cannot be done with humans. Then they took apart their brains.

"There had been reports in humans that a certain area of the hypothalamus, the preoptic area ... was usually larger in males than females," Roselli said. This area was also found to be larger in heterosexual humans than in homosexual men. [great... and bisexuals, LOL ? ]

But the researchers had used the brains of men who had died of AIDS in their study, which meant the disease or drugs used to treat it could have had an effect on the brain.

"With an animal model you can be more selective and do more controlled studies," Roselli said.

The sheep had similar differences in their brains, the researchers told a meeting in Orlando, Florida, of the Society for Neuroscience.
"In a sense we confirmed what been found in humans," Roselli said.
The brain cells in this area also made greater amounts of an enzyme called aromatase in the heterosexual rams. Aromatase is involved in the action of testosterone, the so-called male hormone.

This does not mean the gay rams had less testosterone in their brains, Roselli stressed. "It is not necessarily the activational effect of the hormone," he said. Other types of neurons are probably active -- they just have not found them yet.

No differences in testosterone relating to sexuality have been found either in the sheep or in humans, he said.

"It's not that gay men have lower levels of testosterone," he said. GOOD POINT :mad: !! "And it's not the case with these sheep."

Roselli believes that exposure to hormones while still in the mother's womb may affect the brain and cause differences in sexual preference, and more experiments will aim to show whether this is true.

-----------------

Oh, dear ! ... :eek:...

johnstone1985

Just Browsing
Media
There was a documentary on TV here in Britan, and it had information on those sheep. Also it had information on these three swans (two male, one female) where one male courted both the male and the female, and when it came to sex... the two male swans would start fighting about who did what (it's true) and would end up giving up. There were also a species of money (or chimp, I dunno, a very hairy animal anyway :p) where the females would have "sex" with each other for pleasure and males just so to reproduce. There was a whole load of information on it, but to tell the truth I can't really remember, but I remember the most important find about their experiment was that the "gay" sheep had penetrative sex in the presence of females as most species of animals will have penetrative sex with the same gender when there are no males/females present.

felipe: I would love for some scientist to investigate heterosexuals with the same enthusiasm they investigate homosexuality. I don't need no sheep study to justify my life. Bring on the 21st century. ;)

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
C'mon, felipe, don't feel so put upon.

Ever heard of Kinsey? Masters and Johnson? Shere Hite?

Keep it on an even keel, son. The glass half full. ;)

Pecker

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So, there are a bunch of sheep that aren't reproducing. The farmers thought it was because the sheep weren't mating; they didn't realise that said sheep were actually doing gay things with each other. Does that mean that 'virgin wool' might not be so virgin after all? Who would've thought that this study might have a financial impact on the textile market? ;D

Finedessert: And to make matters worse the study was funded with YOUR Tax Dollars. :eek:

Maybe the term Queen Bee has more than One Meaning....LOL.

Grandpa

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Speaking of sex hormones, thanks to certain pollutants, more male polar bears are hermaphrodites now.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
No, the reason they study that is b/c hermaphrodites are infertile, and thus polar bears could be going extinct. It's b/c of some industrial waste similar to estrogen.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's not just industrial pollutants. There is concern that the widespread use of birth control pills is putting vast amounts of female hormones, which pass through the body, into the sewerage water, and then into lakes, rivers, and the oceans. This apparently is causing problems with fish and the fishing industry.

pokjbv: Amazing how topics change as you read down a thread...I did a stint at the Chemical Manufacturers Association in Arlington just after college at the time this was a hot topic. On the table was a study of Florida lakes in which alegator eggs were producing only female offspring, alegator gender is determined by temperature control which the mother adjusts as needed by insulating/airing of the nest. The problem it seems is that estrogen mimics are getting into the water and messing with this fine tuned mechanism, these mimics are a wide array of molecules that "fit" into hormone receptors in the body and block them from natural hormones. One of these mimics is PVC which is everywhere, along with formaldehyde. Ever step into a carpet showroom and detect a chemical oder? Or, that "new car smell?" Researchers worry that mobile homes are loaded with these estrogen mimics and that they are persistant, and tampering with biological functions.

Just one more thing to worry about if you ask me, like there are no other more pressing matters. When I lived in Tallahassee we had alegators in the drains and catch basins of our parking lot at work. I never turned one over to see if it was a male or female, but every year there were more so something must have been working right. As far as gay animals, ha, I knew I saw a pink elephant last new years eve! :eek:

pokjbv: Of course you all know that ale-gators are student from Gainsville that drink too much.....ALLIGATOR DUH....any other spellcheck cripples out there? :D

ORCABOMBER: My uni's do research on fish changing gender due to hormones in the water supply. No wonder the girls are so hot!

(Women I mean! Not FISH!)

ORCABOMBER: Jonb, you know that fish have the hottest curves... :D