Un-Intelligent Design

carolinacurious: I was educated in upstate SC public schools, I had Bob Jones students as student teachers. I had nothing like this:

http://newsobserver.com/news/story/2233207p-8613419c.html

some excerpts:

Ashlee came home with a worksheet on which she was marked wrong for answering that "chance" was the reason many animals are colored to match their surroundings. The teacher indicated that the right answer was "God's master design," the suit says.

The suit, filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Raleigh, says that a teacher at Sunnyside Elementary School in Fayetteville assigned students readings that included the lesson "Scents Make Sense."

"God's word tells us about a kind of odor only Christians have ...," the lesson read. "Christians carry forth the fragrance of Christ wherever they go by the way they live; that is, they remind people of Him.

"Could someone find Christ by the scent trail you are leaving behind you?"

The suit says that when the parents complained to principal Deborah Anderson, she asked, "What's the problem? Don't you and your family go to church?"

Anderson also told the parents she didn't understand their objections, because Ashlee earned perfect scores on the assignments.

Both the principal and the teacher are still there.

What the Fuck is happening in this country?

blackwood

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by carolinacurious@Mar 21 2005, 09:36 AM
I was educated in upstate SC public schools, I had Bob Jones students as student teachers. I had nothing like this:

http://newsobserver.com/news/story/2233207p-8613419c.html

some excerpts:

Ashlee came home with a worksheet on which she was marked wrong for answering that "chance" was the reason many animals are colored to match their surroundings. The teacher indicated that the right answer was "God's master design," the suit says.

The suit, filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Raleigh, says that a teacher at Sunnyside Elementary School in Fayetteville assigned students readings that included the lesson "Scents Make Sense."

"God's word tells us about a kind of odor only Christians have ...," the lesson read. "Christians carry forth the fragrance of Christ wherever they go by the way they live; that is, they remind people of Him.

"Could someone find Christ by the scent trail you are leaving behind you?"

The suit says that when the parents complained to principal Deborah Anderson, she asked, "What's the problem? Don't you and your family go to church?"

Anderson also told the parents she didn't understand their objections, because Ashlee earned perfect scores on the assignments.

Both the principal and the teacher are still there.

What the Fuck is happening in this country?
[post=292557]Quoted post[/post]​

Carolina.......

This is what about 51% of the voters, know it or not, like it or not, correct or not, voted for in last November's election.

I was so disappointed in the voters, that I and my wife are looking to spend a lot of our time in Mexico (we are retired). I cannot beleive the stuff that is happening in the "States" ( I no longer refer to the "United" part) and basically they are having their way with us.

Sorry I said no politics in my profile, but.

blackwood

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Christians carry a particular scent? Is that like the racist story about a particular "black scent"?

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Almost certainly....

Yes, well, Im just glad Im not there anymore...

Personally I think religion should keep it's nose out of the state, countries should be run on logical decisions taken with the best information available, not with the 'Word of God' in one hand and a button attached to a nuke in the other.

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
That's like eating till you almost explode at an all you can eat buffet and then don't pay the check and complain that it was gross. The teacher was wrong to mark the assignment wrong, but seriously, a LAWSUIT? A grade overturn/altercation would have been more in line, but if the teacher wasn't a moron in the first place (I am NOT calling religious people morons, don't get me wrong I am christian myself, I'm just not psychotic about it, not that everyone is, but you know what I mean.) he should have marked the right answers right and the wrong wrong, not according to what church says, but what's scientific fact. God may cause the "chance" to occur, but I wouldn't go so far as to mark it down and shove it down the girl's throat for not putting God in the answer. Her parents were wrong to file a lawsuit too. Sounds like a case of a bunch of bored, greedy for attention and perhaps less than intelligent idiots butting heads.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by yaoifun@Mar 21 2005, 05:03 PM
Her parents were wrong to file a lawsuit too.
[post=292705]Quoted post[/post]​

I disagree. Filing a lawsuit should never be a first resort, but the parents allegedly contacted the school and weren't satisfied with the outcome. I couldn't tell from the article whether the parents contacted the county school board prior to filing a lawsuit -- that would have been an appropriate second resort.

If neither of these panned out, a lawsuit is an entirely correct way of protecting your children.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, four people are on a crossroads, each twenty metres from a $20 bill in the middle of the intersection: Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, a scientific creationist, and a biology teacher getting death threats from creationists. Who gets the $20? The biology teacher because the other three don't exist!

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, religion should be kept out of schools, I don't care what religion it is. Teaching ABOUT religions is okay, but teaching it as fact is absurdity at best. Parents who want to protect their children from abuse in the schools have very little else to turn to other than the law. Any refernce to a "christian scent" is obviously pure bullshit and needs to be stopped at any cost.

carolinacurious:
I couldn't tell from the article whether the parents contacted the county school board prior to filing a lawsuit -- that would have been an appropriate second resort.

I had to look again after seeing this comment but you can tell from the article that the parent's lawyer contacted the board before filing suit.

That's like eating till you almost explode at an all you can eat buffet and then don't pay the check and complain that it was gross. The teacher was wrong to mark the assignment wrong, but seriously, a LAWSUIT? A grade overturn/altercation would have been more in line, but if the teacher wasn't a moron in the first place (I am NOT calling religious people morons, don't get me wrong I am christian myself, I'm just not psychotic about it, not that everyone is, but you know what I mean.) he should have marked the right answers right and the wrong wrong, not according to what church says, but what's scientific fact. God may cause the "chance" to occur, but I wouldn't go so far as to mark it down and shove it down the girl's throat for not putting God in the answer. Her parents were wrong to file a lawsuit too. Sounds like a case of a bunch of bored, greedy for attention and perhaps less than intelligent idiots butting heads.

"That's like eating till you almost explode at an all you can eat buffet and then don't pay the check and complain that it was gross."

Huh??

"The teacher was wrong to mark the assignment wrong, but seriously, a LAWSUIT? A grade overturn/altercation would have been more in line,"

No, she wasn't, she was following the lesson plan that she had no business bringing in to the school in the first place. Placating the parent's immediate concerns (with a grade alteration) while leaving the lesson plans/horrible books in place is exactly what should NOT happen here.

I agree an altercation may be in order.

" Her parents were wrong to file a lawsuit too. Sounds like a case of a bunch of bored, greedy for attention and perhaps less than intelligent idiots butting heads."

Bullshit! I agree that lawsuits shouldn't be the first line of defense but what about this article gives you any indication that the parents are greedy for attention or less than intelligent. I only see evidence of one side being idiotic about this.

Sorry, yaio, much of your commentary sounds reasonable but I'm tired of this crap. Someone stands up and tries to do the right thing and suddenly they're "stupid and greedy". Fuck that. The two sides of this argument are NOT equal, why must you criticize the parents and try to bring this down to a "they're both wrong" situation.

If I'm too harsh, I'm sorry. I've just come from the Yahoo message boards where Michael Schiavo is being called greedy, a murderer and is even being blamed for his wife's original medical condition.

Good people are being ripped to shreds in this country in the name of religion and it's horseshit. I'm getting sick of all the damage it's doing to what were perfectly good religions as well.

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
Sorry if I came off as an idiot, that was not my point. I'm just saying, MOST people are too quick to file lawsuits these days, and it just pisses me off because I've seen people get ruined because of it. Perhaps a lawsuit was in order (I missed the part about contacting the schoolboard first...a fatal mistake on my part, I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong) No they shouldn't teach religion in schools. But after seeing worse go on at my school and nothing done about it, maybe I'm just used to it. I'm just saying, a lot of people, especially around here, are too quick to file a law suit, and I'm sick of it. It's just kind of an open nerve, sorry to come off as arrogant. You all know I love everyone here and respect thier opinions. *hugs for all...except the lurkers, as usual!*

carolinacurious: Yaoi,

You didn't come off as an idiot to me. I disagreed with you sure, but I still respect you. You coming around and admitting you had missed a few things is even cooler.

And I still respect you even though I just ripped into you in another thread. Nothing personal, I'm pretty fired up today.

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by carolinacurious@Mar 21 2005, 06:39 PM
Yaoi,

You didn't come off as an idiot to me. I disagreed with you sure, but I still respect you. You coming around and admitting you had missed a few things is even cooler.

And I still respect you even though I just ripped into you in another thread. Nothing personal, I'm pretty fired up today.
[post=292750]Quoted post[/post]​

No problem! Hey, trust me I know the feeling! I hope things go better for you if anythings bugging ya! Trust me, I'm the same way if I'm fired up! Take care!

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't say that religion shouldn't be taught in school. I went to a Catholic high school; of course theology had its place there. But it should not be passed off as science. My biology teacher was a Jesuit priest. His opinion of creationism was that it was nonsense and his job was to teach science, not nonsense. The study of religions can be a very interesting topic, but it should not be construed as science. Attempting to do so is irresponsible on the part of the faculty that teaches it and the school board that allows it.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Mar 22 2005, 02:53 AM
But it should not be passed off as science. My biology teacher was a Jesuit priest. His opinion of creationism was that it was nonsense and his job was to teach science, not nonsense.
[post=292816]Quoted post[/post]​

I've read in more than one place that the Roman Catholic church hierarchy, including Pope John Paul II, does not consider Darwinian evolution to be incompatiable with Catholic teaching. Aparently, creationism is a very American protestant dogma.

SG

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, these are essentially philosophical questions. But it's the imperfections which discredit creationism as a scientific theory. For example, some whales develop their teeth in utero but then reabsorb their teeth; this only makes sense if an ancestor of theirs had those teeth. From a teleological perspective (e.g., with a designer), these make no sense. Another thing is cancer. For an ameba, it's actually quite advantageous.

And of course, there are all the sexual homologies; the vagina masculina doesn't even give the man pleasure the way the clitoris does for the woman.

The stranger forms of creationism even deny the evolution of language.

stiphphiphatumus

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
last i knew, school was for teaching things like reading, math and science, not religion. that's what the after school stuff was for. guess i was in some good public schools. we only had to do the pledge. then again, i don't really remember that stuff too well, just what i learned. don't remember any 'god' stuff.

*hugs for all...except the lurkers, as usual!*--hey, yaoifun, why you so down on lurkers?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, there's certainly a difference between what public schools and parochial schools should be teaching. For a Catholic school to be teaching religion is expected and certainly within the bounds of what is acceptable, but in public schools, this is WAAAAY out of bounds! There is a clear line between teaching "This is how the Christian faith believes" and "This is definitely how it IS".

I'm sure this lawsuit will get shuffled into oblivion, but I would be interested to know how it all turns out.