Uncle Sam wants you – even if you’re 42 years old

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by MisterMark, Jul 20, 2005.

1. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wonder if this will mean 42yo guys and girls can be drafted if or when the time comes...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From ArmyTimes.com
    By Rick Maze
    Times staff writer

The Defense Department quietly asked Congress on Monday to raise the maximum age for military recruits to 42 for all branches of the service.

Under current law, the maximum age to enlist in the active components is 35, while people up to age 39 may enlist in the reserves. By practice, the accepted age for recruits is 27 for the Air Force, 28 for the Marine Corps and 34 for the Navy and Army, although the Army Reserve and Navy Reserve sometimes take people up to age 39 in some specialties.

The Pentagon’s request to raise the maximum recruit age to 42 is part of what defense officials are calling a package of “urgent wartime support initiatives” sent to Congress Monday night prior to a Tuesday hearing of the House Armed Services military personnel subcommittee.

More: http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-983408.php

2. steve319

Gold Member

Mark, I think this is the first step in a long-term process, coupled with the war on terror, geared at solving the problems with Social Security. Eventually all of our seniors will become uniformed patriots and martyrs for the cause. ;)

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I guess I'll be part of the senior citizen neighborhood terror watch.

If we can't catch up with a terrorist to arrest him we'll just throw our walkers at him.

4. Pappy

Pappy Member

Hey Pecker, do you think they'll give us UZI's disguised as walking canes??

5. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    so when we run out of bombs, we can start dropping our obese middle-aged men out of planes instead. we'll give them "parachutes" which are really just backpacks full of high explosive.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

Thankfully, I'll be 43 in December. I can just see me as frontline fodder.

7. Bananaman

Bananaman New Member

Even more thankfully, I'm 45 & my wife just turned 43. Geez, I never thought I'd find a reason to celebrate getting older....

B-man

8. VinceNYC

VinceNYC New Member

That's the next step. First, they'll use this new law to tell people who have served their time that they have to stay in the war longer.

Then, after they've killed off those people, they'll have no choice but to start drafting again. And what have we gained? As can be seen in London, our prez is having no effect on terrorism with his "war on terror."

This is a very sad state of affairs. I can barely sleep--I don't know how W manages. I guess it's easier to sleep when you're stupid.

9. jonb

Gold Member

This one high school student did a sting operation, signing up even though he's a 16-year-old dropout with a drug problem. (Of course the only part of it which was true was his age.) Suffice it to say, the military had no problem with any of it.

The military's going far and abroad looking for recruits. U.S.-Canadian relations were strained after recruiters were found in Nunavut.

10. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Well, I'm 5 yrs short of the mark, but even if I wasn't, the US ARMY wouldn't get me either way; Last time I checked, they don't draft anyone with a serious medical condition such as seizures.

That's not bragging by the way folks, it's just a plain and simple fact about yours truly.

Draft saved Draft deleted