Uncut & Diabetes

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Ohioguy, May 16, 2008.

1. Ohioguy

Ohioguy Member

I found out that I have diabetes and I am uncut. I am concerned that I will get a yeast infection or a problem under my foreskin. I have never been to big on pulling back the foreskin to pee. I do wash in the shower, but then I am not too crazy about drying it real good before the hood creeps back over the end of my dick. I saw where somebody on a different thread said to wash it in salt water. Any advice?

2. Viking_UK

Gold Member

I can't say I've heard of anyone having problems like that before, but then I'm not a medical professional. I'd suggest talking it through with your doctor to get qualified and balanced information. Chances are you'll get loads of posts here telling you to get cut and that will avoid any worries. I wouldn't change anything that you're doing currently if it's worked for you up to now unless your doc gives you different advice.

3. Ohioguy

Ohioguy Member

I haven't discussed it with my doctor. In fact my doctor doesn't even know that I am uncircumcised. I am not one to run out to the doctor very often. I try to stay away from them as they bury their mistakes. I appreciate your response.

4. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

advice from a 20+ year insulin using type II diabetic:

continue good hygiene practices...

learn all you can about living with diabetes...

live what you've learned...

if the above doesn't work and you have problems, then see your M.D.

5. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Just listen to you doctor and dietician, that is very important! What type of Diabetes have you? if you have type 2 you should probabaly loose some weight, if you already getting some antidiuretics you certainly be careful, because when the doctor subscribe you insuline, there is no way back. When the say you have to losse weight or take some diuretics, you can go back to a normal life without diabetes, but you have to work very hard to get there because you're a risk person. Do a lot of sports, eat the things that the dietician said to you and take care of your body.
    I'm studying to become a dietician and this is one of the important things that we learn.

6. Ohioguy

Ohioguy Member

I do have type 2 diabetes. I have been told to loose weight. I try to exercise, but I have other problems - spinal stenosis and heart disease. I do take a diuretic. I walk when I can and I swim when I am at my home in Florida.

7. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Oh, I see. Do your best, because it's really important if you don't want to have diabetes for the rest of your life or get insuline-dependent. You must say too yourself that you have to do some sports, that don't means it haveto be heavy sports, walking for an hour a day is good too. Other examples are taking the stairs in stead of the elevator, use your bike to go to work, etc. Sport are good to for your heart disease, the sports are not bad, it's the food that you're eating probably.

Good luck man!

Cheers

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Don't wash with salt water.

If you take care of everything else (diet, exercise, medication) then simple good hygiene should give your penis all the protection it needs.

You may not be too keen on pulling the foreskin back, but that is essential (not necessarily when peeing, but for cleaning.)

Once a day at the very minimum, you should pull back the skin and wash thoroughly but gently with a mild soap, and rinse thoroughly. It doesn't matter if you dry it or not.

If you want to be extra careful, use a small amount of bleach in the laundry when washing your towels and underwear. That will kill any residual fungi that could be re-transferred.

Keep it clean and try not to do anything that could cause abrasions (over-using it, masturbating without lube, scrubbing too hard in the shower, etc.)

9. B_retracted

B_retracted New Member

My mother, aunt and cousin all work at nursing homes and they've told me that the uncircumcised men (especially those with diabetes) have a terrible time of it because they either don't like someone touching their foreskin to pull it back to wash properly underneath it or else they can't do it themselves (because of immobility in other parts of their bodies) and so they end up with infections and other disorders. Quite a few of these old guys have had to be circumcised simply because it's impossible to stay clean and they'd rather do that than put up with the pain of ballinitis etc or the embarrassment of a nurse retracting their foreskin every time they pee and wash.

10. Ohioguy

Ohioguy Member

Thanks for the info. I'll try to keep things in good condition. I am a little worried about all of this stuff.

11. B_sugarandspice

B_sugarandspice New Member

It is really important to keep your weight down.
    I have a spinal injury and I know it is hard to keep your weight down when your limited.
    Food has to become something you do just for nutrition.
    You can't use it for entertainment.
    I didn't like eating cold fruit in the morning but I got used to it.
    I started eating things that are good for me and I got used to it pretty fast.
    I am finally getting into some of my old clothes.
    I have 10 lbs to go and it is so hard.
    I was on medication that causes weight gain.
    It is really tough but I hope you will take this serious and do what it takes to get your weight off.
    Pray a lot.
    It will really help you beat this and get on track.
    Best wishes.
    Remember that being overweight is the worst thing for all of your joints. It is downhill from here so get you eating under control now.

Blessed Be,
    Sug

12. B_retracted

B_retracted New Member

The thing about those who say "keeping yourself clean is easy" is that they ignore the fact that, when you're older, you may not be able to do what you can do now. Such as keep yourself clean due to immobility. Or do the splits. My grandfather had diabetes and he couldn't move his arms beyond a certain point and he often fell when he walked so you can imagine that he had a hard time being able to do certain activities. He died before things got too bad for him foreskin-wise (triple heart attack and bleeding from the brain) so he never had to get a circumcision although he would have had to eventually because, like many old people, he had a lot of pride and wanted to do things for himself even when he physically couldn't so.

13. flaman

flaman New Member

i am u/c and also have type 2 diabetis. i try to walk atleast 45 minutes a day and try to eat right, which is hard. i have lost 28 lbs. since march. keeping the weigh off does help alot. i don't always pull the skin back when i piss, but when i shower, i clean under the skin and have never had a problem. hope this helps rroboh. dp

14. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

The OP can type; I'm sure that, at least for the time being, he can actually wash himself. He doesn't seem to have one foot and 4 toes in the grave just yet. Was it necessary for your posts to make it sound like he's already a centenarian?

15. B_sugarandspice

B_sugarandspice New Member

Originally Posted by retracted http://www.lpsg.org/images36/buttons/viewpost.gif
    The thing about those who say "keeping yourself clean is easy" is that they ignore the fact that, when you're older, you may not be able to do what you can do now. Such as keep yourself clean due to immobility. Or do the splits. My grandfather had diabetes and he couldn't move his arms beyond a certain point and he often fell when he walked so you can imagine that he had a hard time being able to do certain activities. He died before things got too bad for him foreskin-wise (triple heart attack and bleeding from the brain) so he never had to get a circumcision although he would have had to eventually because, like many old people, he had a lot of pride and wanted to do things for himself even when he physically couldn't so.
    Although he has been harsh and judgmental in the past I don't see anything wrong with what he wrote.
    This is exactly what needs to be presented. This is where the OP is headed if he doesn't take all the action that he needs to now. It doesn't take long to end up that way so I hope the OP will take this very seriously.

16. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I agree, but did you not see what he was doing? It's obvious the OP is nowhere NEAR that stage yet, but retracted seemed to be trying to convince him to get snipped now, "before it's too late."

The OP does seem to be prepared to take better care of himself, judging by what he posted. He asked "do I need to wash with salt water? Do I need to dry carefully after a shower?" I answered his questions.

The onslaught of immobile-nursing-home-resident information did not seem appropriate to me.

17. B_retracted

B_retracted New Member

:261:

I'm well aware that the OP can type. What's up your ass?

What's wrong with me saying that young people so often think that not only will the live forever but that they'll be able to continue to do what they're doing now when they're old and gray.

I never said he was old or at death's door now or even in the near future.

But I did tell him that, if he is lucky enough to reach old age, he may not be able to retract his foreskin because of poor mobility which comes with age for most people.

My grandfather certainly never thought he wouldn't be able to retract his foreskin.

So young people saying that keeping your dick clean is easy aren't thinking about the future when they are unlikely to have the mobility required to do that.

Arthritis is another condition that could make it very difficult to retract your foreskin during a shower or while urinating.

I could go on but you're obviously in a bad mood and so I'll give you a wide berth.

18. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Nah, I'm not in a bad mood, that's a rare thing for me.

Honestly, I was just surprised and disappointed in your response to the OP. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but a lot of your posts seem to have a decidedly negative tone.

19. B_retracted

B_retracted New Member

That happens when you purposely assume the worst in people.

20. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I assumed nothing, purposely or otherwise. You assumed I was in a bad mood, and you were wrong. You do make an awful lot of grumpy/confrontational/negative/argumentative posts, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted