Uncut & Diabetes

B_retracted

Experimental Member
Media
Contrary to popular belief, a diabetic DOES need to ingest a certain amount of sugar otherwise they can have one of those terrible feinting spells that my grandfather suffered. He'd have to quickly buy some sugary substance (usually candy) and have some and then the feeling passed. A diabetic who eliminates all sugar from their diet is, quite simply, killing themselves.

D_Feock Mie

1st Like
Media
Contrary to popular belief, a diabetic DOES need to ingest a certain amount of sugar otherwise they can have one of those terrible feinting spells that my grandfather suffered. He'd have to quickly buy some sugary substance (usually candy) and have some and then the feeling passed. A diabetic who eliminates all sugar from their diet is, quite simply, killing themselves.

Wrong. Only if they are taking insulin.

I have had diabetes for 5 years and treat it by working out very hard 6 times /week and only eating meat and veggies. The breakdown of meat and veggies contains carbs but to a diabetic, well, we just don't need them.

B_retracted

Experimental Member
Media
WRONG!

See, I can say that too (isn't it fun?).

My grandfather never had the kind of diabetes for which he needed to take insulin.

And he still had to keep his sugar levels at a certain level. Not too high. Not too low.

He also had to prick himself a few times a day with the needle thing.

Ohioguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I've been told that I have congestive heart failure. I take lisinopril hctz 20/25 mg. In fact my Florida doctor just doubled my dose. I also take a baby aspirn each day. I take 25mg of Crestor each day. On my latest 4/15/08 blood test my Hemoglobin A1c was 6.1 (abn: H). On my 1/17/08 blood test my Hemoglobin A1c was 6.4 (Abn:H) I do have neuropathy and pain in my legs. I have attributed it to the spinal stenosis. The doctor has me taking 2 100MG of Lyrica each day and ultracet three times a day. I used to take 600 mg of Gabapenten 3 times a day and 100 mg of Ultram ER twice a day. I had to stop taking the Ultram ER as my insurance formulary dropped it and I can't afford it without them including it as a formulary drug. My Florida doctor told me to take the results of my latest echocardiogram to my Ohio cardiologist. My ejection fraction is 51% and I have mild left ventricular concentric hypertrophy, 3+ MR, 1+ PI and 1+ TR. Mild mitral stenosis (mitral valve area 2.3 cm2 and Abnormal E to A ratio 2.2. I do not take any fish oil. Thank-you for helping me.

D_Feock Mie

1st Like
Media
WRONG!

See, I can say that too (isn't it fun?).

My grandfather never had the kind of diabetes for which he needed to take insulin.

And he still had to keep his sugar levels at a certain level. Not too high. Not too low.

He also had to prick himself a few times a day with the needle thing.

You are still wrong. If your gf's sugar levels get too low (or if ANYONE'S gets too low) it is not because of diabetes. It may be the treatment or it may mean he should eat more frequently but giving sugar to someone that doesn't metabolize sugar properly is not the answer.

Hopefully you understand that the digestion of protein will release sugar. If not you may just have to wait and experience it first hand when you develop the condition.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Thanks for backing me up dcfbcm. I suspect that rroboh's biggest disadvantage is that he is very overweight. But I'm no doctor so feel free to ignore whatever I say. I just wouldn't want to have the doctors loving me all up like that.

Let's see that meat and veggie body.

falsup

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Google "candida albacans",

It is the bodies natural yeast levels run amuck.

Its a very common problem linked to diet. Doctors rarely diagnose it because it is in their best interest to prescribe antibiotics.

Eat all natural, unprocessed foods, and walk at least 30 mins per day at least 5 days a week.

Good Luck,

Bush

ToBe

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, the good news is that your diabetes appears to be quite mild. With those A1C values, your average blood sugar is probably in the 120-130 range. Nevertheless, I would still recommend seeing a registered dietician to work out adiet plan. Check out the following links about food choices (they are from women's health newsletters, but they apply equally to men):
Spring 2004 Newsletter - Up Front
http://womenshealth.med.ucla.edu/community/newsletter/NewsletterWinterSpring2005.pdf

Your medications are reasonable:
Crestor 25 mg
Lisinopril/HCTZ 20/25 mg
Aspirin 81 mg
You did not list a beta blocker, however. Drugs such as carvedilol (coreg), may actually improve the pump function of your heart. Your cardiologist may have a good reason for not giving it to you, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Fish oil may also help with your heart condition, so you can ask him about that as well.

Your echo results imply you have an OK but borderline EF with moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation (basically, the valve doesn't close properly when it should and your heart pumps part of its blood in the wrong direction, making it less efficient). Ask your cardiologist if he thinks that repair or replacing this valve would improve your CHF. In addition to the report, he might want to take a look at the actual images from the echo (you can usually obtain them on a CD). E.g., sometimes, one can see how the leaflets of the valve are moving.

Going back to your initial question:

-At this stage, your diabetes is mild and well controlled, making it unlikely that it would significantly increase your risk of yeast infections.

-Your symptoms of mild burning are probably not a yeast infection. But, if you like, you could take an empirical approach, steal some of your wife's monistat and apply it to the area... then see if it improves.

-The presense of a foreskin shouldn't really matter to you or your doctor.

-The burning feeling you describe may also have neurological causes (nerve damage/compression from spinal stenosis affecting the sacral nerves going to the penile area)

B_retracted

Experimental Member
Media
You are still wrong. If your gf's sugar levels get too low (or if ANYONE'S gets too low) it is not because of diabetes. It may be the treatment or it may mean he should eat more frequently but giving sugar to someone that doesn't metabolize sugar properly is not the answer.

Hopefully you understand that the digestion of protein will release sugar. If not you may just have to wait and experience it first hand when you develop the condition.

He's dead now so it's a moot point. There are different kinds of diabetes so deal with it.

D_Sal Minella

Account Disabled
Media
i have diabetis type 1 since i was young... and i never had any foreskin problems...
i wash it just like any other part of my body & i pull it back when i pee...
but that's pretty normal isn't it?

i wouldn't like it when my foreskin feels pee running down.

fyi: i'm not fat

ck85x65

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
acquired type 2 diabetes at 40. became insulin dependant a few years later. thanks to heredity, was already high blood pressure and high cholesterol. haven't been skinny / muscular / inshape since I was 23 years old. work in IT for 26 years, a sedentary job. experienced a 'spinal event' that required me to relearn how to walk.

I am going to give you the best advice.

GO SEE A DOCTOR, NOW.

DEMAND to be educated on all aspects of the disease and possible side effects. Check your feet each day. NEVER go ANYWHERE barefoot. I though I knew it all, but was in EMERG at local hospital for antibiotics to treat cellulitis, three instances on each leg, before I wised up. Worst form of cellulitis ? necrotizing faciitis -- otherwise known as the flesh-eating disease. go ahead google it, it will scare you, significantly.

do NOT trivialize your diabetes, you fool no one, and certainly not yourself.

I am personally acquinted with an older gentleman (diabetic) who ignored a stubbed toe. Amputation followed less than two weeks later, thanks to gangrene. He didn't feel anything (neuropathy) and ignored / didn't inspect his feet daily.

In the Rehab hospital, I met a motorcyclist who ignored his diabetes. One leg amputated, and in hospital recuperating from the amputation of his remaining leg. Stupid beyond comprehension, it could have been avoided.

Nuff said.