Underrated actors in films (past and present)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Man-thango, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Man-thango

Man-thango Member

While watching 1968 film "The Boston Strangler" on AMC I realized the performance Tony Curtis gave in this drama was nuanced and very chilling. In this performance he was the original "deliberate stranger". I'm not familiar with Curtis's body of work except for light comedies like "Some Like It Hot" so it still surprises me why I've never seen him in dramas. Donald Sutherland on the other hand seems to be very versatile even more so now that he's part of the cast of ABC's "Dirty Sexy Money" premiering this fall. Many of us consume so much media on a daily basis we take certain actors' work for granted. It isn't until we come across a performance that we quickly reevaluate their previous work and look forward to future projects. I know I did with Alec Baldwin before his work on "30 Rock" and now I'm looking forward to the coming season. Who are some of the actors you believe have initially gone unnoticed by you or are underrated in the TV or film industry whose work continues to surprise you?

I'll start the ball rolling:

Amy Acker (Angel, Alias)
    Parker Posey (Party Girl, Boston Legal)
    Alison Janney (West Wing, Hairspray)
    Fairuza Balk (The Craft, The Waterboy)
    Laura Linney (You Can Count on Me, The Nanny Diaries)

2. Osiris

Gold Member

Juanita Moore (Imitation of Life)
    Fairuza Balk (Valmont; Gas, Food, and Lodging)
    Ione Skye (Gas, Food, and Lodging;The Rachel Papers; Say Anything)
    Stephen Cassel (Rushmore, Indecent Proposal)
    Giulietta Masina (Juliet of Spirits, La Strada)
    Clive Owen (Second Sight, Children of Man)

3. wldhoney

Gold Member

Albums:

I'm really bad about celebrity names and tend to forget them until I see them again.

However, I do like Fairuza Balk. I first saw her in "Return to OZ" when she was a child. It's kind of a dark, of the wall, movie and she was great in it. And I love Valmont.....sexier version of the Dangerous Liasons theme.

4. Man-thango

Man-thango Member

I'd also add Vincent Cassel to the list because his performance in "Derailed" recalled Gary Oldman's in "True Romance". He's a cute french guy.

5. Osiris

Gold Member

I agree to mentioning him, but Derailed was such a horrible movie. Ocean's 12 was a good one for him.

6. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Was Guy Pearce good in Memento? I watched that recently and thought it was a great film. Maybe cos of the story/camerawork more than his acting though.

That other actor was good though, who played 'Teddy' in it. Seen him in a few things. His name is Joe Pantoliano.

Draft saved Draft deleted