Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For all I know, conservatives may yet outbreed liberals, just as idiots outbreed intelligent people in Mike Judge's movie Idiocracy (which I take this occasion to recommend). But given the conduct of conservatives in American politics, it is unlikely that, if that happens, the US or the planet itself will survive to enjoy the triumph for long.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
your quote

"Its OUR money.
Not the corporations"

That is so apropos coming from a liberal. That's how liberals think. A businessman takes personal risk to succeed and build a good lifestyle for him/herself. And the liberals, as Phil puts so eloquently, think they have a right to the funds that are generated by the business owner.

Gimme gimme gimme. Gimme gimme gimme.

It is simple to identify a liberal because he is the one with his hand out 24/7.

How can anybody think that "Its OUR money. Not the corporations" I'm sorry but "No, its not your money. It is the corporation's"

D

deleted213967

PS- in fact- spending tax moneys on anything but programs for the middle class is redistributing wealth.
Its OUR money.
Not the corporations.

Don Felipe,

I am surprised by the unnecessarily "shrill" tone of your anti-conservative diatribes. Read my lips: GWB is not running for POTUS nor will he ever again.

First, you well now that, very much like the Democratic Party itself, the GOP is a vortex of subgroups which may or may not intersect. In both parties, some of those subgroups don't even coexist or interact with one another:

On the GOP side of today, the groups who cherish the model of a lean and efficient government may well despise the war-mongering ones, and yet share the same "Big Tent".

You also know that the Dark Ages Bigots Club is a fairly new addition to the GOP product line. The majority of Americans who believe in The Devil far exceeds the number of Republican voters.

You've (correctly) implied that some of those subgroups jump ship too. Therefore, the notion of being Republican evolves over time.

On the Democratic side, the WSJ once noted that the party seemed to mostly appeal to the 2 extremes: the Lumpen Proletariat on one side and a free-trade-organic-soy-latte-sipping intellectual elite on the other, professing its egalitarian ideals from the heights of its impossibly-priced 94109 ZIP code.

I savagely disagree with your notion that somehow, people with "conservative" values suffer from intellectual sclerosis and are unable to adapt, whereas die-hard Democrats are open to new ideas and eminently adaptable.

I say "Bull"!

Look at my own backyard: Boeing and its oh-so-Democratic lazy-ass good old boys who think they can hold the economy hostage because they slap together plane parts Not Invented Here and Not Made Here. Note that the so-called "Dream" Liner is only assembled here because my state tax money subsidized their locally-obese "creative" buttocks.

How adaptable are those fine, proud all-Democratic Boeing union members!

Did you know that less than 5 year ago they demanded lifetime employment?

Is that adaptability in you book?

Last edited by a moderator:

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That's because they know not to say too much. They're being analyzed for flaws more thoroughly than a Middle Easterner at airport security. :wink:
Yeah, funny how liberals want the middle easterners to be left alone at the airports to avoid what they would call "racists racially profiling" and yet a group of liberals from Academia (meaning never 'worked' a day in their lives) try to inspect and anylize republicans by dreaming up a psudo-scientific study on "understanding republicans". Where are their priorities?

Anyway I responded on practically def ears. The only one who had the guts said a whole lot of nothing. The old truism speaks volumes:

"Those under 30 that are not liberal have no heart. Those over 30 that are not conservative have no brain."

Using this age old quote and some deductive reasoning will tell you 2 things:

#1 That most Conservatives were once Liberal, and that most today's Liberals will one day become Conservative

#2 This study is completely flawed based on the fact that it ignores the above. The study assumes that everyone decides on an ideology and that it stays that way for life.

Now when one of you liberals can dispute any of this without personal attacks, guesses, opinions disguised as facts, or make believe science - hook me up with a response.

In the mean time, watch this video to get an Understanding of today's Liberals.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yeah, funny how liberals want the middle easterners to be left alone at the airports to avoid what they would call "racists racially profiling" and yet a group of liberals from Academia (meaning never 'worked' a day in their lives) try to inspect and anylize republicans by dreaming up a psudo-scientific study on "understanding republicans". Where are their priorities?

Like most consrvative, you are too lazy to read.
The study was not called "understanding republicans" that was the title I gave my thread on the subject. The study analyzed liberals as well, and just as harshly.

And, please realize the futility of complaining that conservatives are demonstrably fear motivated.

"Those under 30 that are not liberal have no heart. Those over 30 that are not conservative have no brain."

Using this age old quote and some deductive reasoning will tell you 2 things:

#1 That most Conservatives were once Liberal, and that most today's Liberals will one day become Conservative

#2 This study is completely flawed based on the fact that it ignores the above. The study assumes that everyone decides on an ideology and that it stays that way for life.

Now when one of you liberals can dispute any of this without personal attacks, guesses, opinions disguised as facts, or make believe science - hook me up with a response.

Try reading the thread--- in one ear and out the other means you didn't actually READ it.
In this thread the very issues you raised WERE discussed, in detail, and explained, fully.

Nevermind the fact that you are simply WRONG... MOST conservatives were NOT liberals at 29. Tho They may have been LESS conservative.

It was explained, and perfectly consistent with the study, that, BECAUSE aging causes the brain to become LESS able to learn, less plastic and less adaptable... that many people will tend to become more conservative with age.

Just as those Children who were, even at three, less mentally flexible, less tolerant of change and new ideas, and more anxious, ended up being conservatives by 23.

Get it?

Getting older is synonymous with inevitable mental DECLINE.
Being less able to 'keep up' with a changing world, makes people feel anxious and fearful.

So these people prefer to surround themselves with like minded people who will reinforce their aging assumptions and insulate them from change and from new ideas.

Being conservative means being mentally brittle.
Whether you are born that way... or BECOME that way thru aging...
the results agree with the findings of the study.

Republicans cvall Palin and McCain 'change you can believe in"--- but their policies put that in context...
The change conservatives can believe in is NO CHANGE AT ALL.

How comforting to the brittle and inflexible minds of the prematurely elderly...

now run along, its late....shouldn't you be hiding under your covers from the illegals, the terrorists and the gays?

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well --- finally a very INTERESTING thread (and Oh how I LOVE politics).
I haven't read the study, but find the comments fascinating. First of all -- relating to the LAST of the posts --- each week I conduct a "group" called 'current events" at the retirement home I in which I am the Activity Director. Our average age is 87 -- and To my surprise, I have discovered that many of the 26 or so people who attend weekly have very "open" and oftentimes "liberal" positions on issues. There is "no" generalizing that these people are 100% liberal or 100% conservative..............depends on the issues! I think there is a great more "fluidity" in individuals that may be admitted depending upon their up-bringing -- their changing socio-economic status AND their world view. Most of these people would be considered in the "upper" economic strata, but they DO believe that the government OUGHT to in some way be a safety net for individuals that have NOT been as fortunate as others in their life's journey. Many of them are appalled at the fact that corporations that are making record profits are not taking good care of their workers (who MAKE them their profits!)
Many of these people remember that it took a FEDERAL LAW to outlaw child labor in this country --- and they are "stunned" by the kind of business ethics/integrity that seems to be lacking in the corporate world. The tread a fine line between what NEEDS to be the role of government and excessive intrusion by the government. They BUILT this nation into what it has become and are sadly watching what appears to be the "tearing down" of many of the principles that they held/hold as sacred. In "their" day, under Ike Eisenhower, anyone who earned over $300,000 was taxed at 94% --------- and yet the wealthy STILL built large homes and lived lavish lifestyles!! But the wealthy felt an "obligation" to give back (because it was the law of course) so that ALL Americans could share in the fortunate circumstances of the few. One of my favorite phrases is: I have 5,000 cows -- my neighbor has NONE --- sooooooooooo????? And my response is, "well just how much beef can one person eat?!!!" What happened to the principle "is it GOOD for America?"
Sorry for straying from the subject matter, but it seems to me that the terms "liberal" and "conservative" just further divide us from one another. I think the 16 various personality traits of Myers/Briggs might explain a lot more concerning how people approach the many and various social/political problems we face as a nation!

And the BEST news is -------- we NEED BOTH perspectives to move forward as a nation. One perspective always helps to balance off the perspectives of the "extremes" on either side!

Well -- thanks for "listening!" And hope to read more of the fascinating material in this thread! By the way -- in case anyone is interested --- I USED to be a Republican, but for NOW I'm a Democrat! I don't necessarily want the Republicans out of office --- I want the LOBBYISTS out of influence!

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Republican" seems to me to be an extreme generalization. While I am not one, and seldom agree with them, I am smart enough to acknowledge that there are some who are not complete muppets.

I believe this thread is meant to refer to knee jerk, yellow dog Republicans like that fat load, drug addicted, used car salesman of a lying half deaf snake oil peddler, hero to the simple minded Rush Limbaugh. There in no way rational thinking people can understand those types since they are fanatics. Their ideology breeds an unwillingness or inability to think outside the box.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I agree- not everyone becomes conservative as they age..
but most people tend to become MORE conservative as they age.

For someone who was liberal their whole life, that might mean just becoming less one sided.

However- when you are talking about people in the late 80, you have to realize that you are not talking about a proper cross section of people.
That is, people who live longer than average often manage to do so because they are less volatile and less stressed.

The most histrionic liberals, and the most histrionic conservative tend to die younger than those who are more relaxed.

I also agree that conservative mindsets are important. The basic philosophy being that we should not toss out something that has been working for 100 years just because a new idea is new...

But when conservatives manage to co-opt total power... and then to undermine the constitutional checks on that power... they have to be stopped.

Just as I would argue that liberals if they had total control, would have to be tempered by reducing their power.

But what is most distressing is that media manipulation has become so sophisticated, that very canny and highly unscrupulous people can readily manipulate conservatives BECAUSE of their tendency to follow authority... and because they tend to insulate themselves from information that is new.

I do not think for one minute that any of the Neo-Con-men are truly conservative in the GOP tradition.
They are charlatans who have hijacked a conservative party and who lie to their constituents about what their true objectives and actions are.

But conservatives simply can not admit the failures and reversals of their party platforms, because without their conservative "clan" affiliation, they would be truely lost.

The thing conservatives fear more than anything else is not having that group think environment in which they find safe harbor.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Republican" seems to me to be an extreme generalization. While I am not one, and seldom agree with them, I am smart enough to acknowledge that there are some who are not complete muppets.

Yes, but some muppets are surely Republicans. Cookie Monster, for instance: he's against government regulation of the cookie industry.

Seriously, though, how can a mere word by itself be a generalization? Until you add a predicate to the word "Republicans," you're not asserting anything, so you can't be generalizing.

A Republican is a member of the Republican party. That's not a generalization; it's the definition of the word.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I believe this thread is meant to refer to knee jerk, yellow dog Republicans like that fat load, drug addicted, used car salesman of a lying half deaf snake oil peddler, hero to the simple minded Rush Limbaugh. There in no way rational thinking people can understand those types since they are fanatics. Their ideology breeds an unwillingness or inability to think outside the box.

Nice summation. Guess in your pot-smoking, Jimi-Hendricks rules neighborhood you've never seen a Michael Moore movie, or watched NBC, ABC or CNN? When you get done killing that water bong, let me know and I'll send you a couple links.

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seriously, though, how can a mere word by itself be a generalization? Until you add a predicate to the word "Republicans," you're not asserting anything, so you can't be generalizing.

A Republican is a member of the Republican party. That's not a generalization; it's the definition of the word.

The point I was making was in the interest of fairness and an unwillingness to paint everyone who disagrees with me with the same wide brush. In short, there are crazies on all sides.

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nice summation. Guess in your pot-smoking, Jimi-Hendricks rules neighborhood you've never seen a Michael Moore movie, or watched NBC, ABC or CNN? When you get done killing that water bong, let me know and I'll send you a couple links.

Perhaps one of Rush Limbaugh's sheep heard from? Of course I've seen a Michael Moore movie, watched NBC, ABC and CNN, but they are not in any way the limit of my sources for information. Are you implying by your idiotic accusation that you've not? If so, at best you're obtuse, ignorant and foolish, and at worst you're a liar. But regardless of your malfunction, I've got news for you sport. Your dimwitted characterization of me couldn't be any further off. I happen to be a Cornell University grad, well read, rounded and bright.

Just out of curiosity, where did you go to college? Or did you go?

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As a 1996 Dole voter, I'll explain current Republicans.

For one, they are pro-life, first and foremost. This is the core of their power. This is where all their moral authority flows from. Because they are right on abortion, they are right on everything that is "ungodly".

For this, their treachery knows no bounds, and they will sell their souls to whatever savior can end this scourge of abortion.

Funnily, they call themselves logical, but all their logic is based on faith... based on the premise god exists. This is the core of their entire belief structure.

The GOP has been playing this for a long time, huh? Bush had 4 years, with a republican House and Senate. Did he give them their pro-life? He even got to replace Sandra Day... Ha ha ha. Christians, used to win elections since Reagan. Like a bull, just pull them by their noserings. they will never get their pro life candidate... but they will be used as long as possible, until they figure it out... which may be never.

This is the core of the faith. The core is also apocalyptic. I once asked a christian, "don't you see everything happening, as a fulfillment of the end times prophecies?"

He says, "well, it's God's will".

Hey, fuck it... it's God's will.

Tribulation comes first.

Last edited:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

Spoken like a true blue ditto-head...

And try to wrap your head around what the term 'ditto-head" means..
It means you copy the mental attitudes of the master.

If you listen to, and agree with Rush... then you are a faded facsimile of a fat fuck, who, himself, is a faded facsimile of the talking points faxed to him by Rove every morning.

Way to 'think for yourself"!

Be like Rush...Go take some prescription drugs... so you can write even more insults about liberals' use of drugs.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, try to ingest this without choking. I'm registered Republican and I'm pro-choice and anti-war. Regardless of what your idols Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi may say.

Contrary to popular belief amongst your political peers, I'm not a trust fund baby and I really don't have secret meetings with the "Mason's" or whatever groups you have dreamed up to make people's lives miserable. their isn't a countrywide conspiricy to destroy the economy and opress non-republican Americans.

Believe it or not, we live in a pretty amazing country which affords everyone the privilage of voicing their beliefs and demanding aswers from their governmental leaders. Will we all agree? Of course not. I enjoy discussing politics and matters that concern our nation.

Right or wrong, I do get concerned when I see attack after attack after attack on everyone that is even remotely associated with the Republican party. On this board, its probably 10 to 1. I don't see much objectivity. I don't see much realism.

Good people can disagree on certain things. Doesn't make anybody wrong. :redface:

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, try to ingest this without choking. I'm registered Republican and I'm pro-choice and anti-war. Regardless of what your idols Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi may say.

Contrary to popular belief amongst your political peers, I'm not a trust fund baby and I really don't have secret meetings with the "Mason's" or whatever groups you have dreamed up to make people's lives miserable. their isn't a countrywide conspiricy to destroy the economy and opress non-republican Americans.

Believe it or not, we live in a pretty amazing country which affords everyone the privilage of voicing their beliefs and demanding aswers from their governmental leaders. Will we all agree? Of course not. I enjoy discussing politics and matters that concern our nation.

Right or wrong, I do get concerned when I see attack after attack after attack on everyone that is even remotely associated with the Republican party. On this board, its probably 10 to 1. I don't see much objectivity. I don't see much realism.

Good people can disagree on certain things. Doesn't make anybody wrong. :redface:

More shit slinging. You start off with litany of political insults to everyone's intelligence, and then want to end by playing it cool, like you are a nice guy.

Fuck off, hoser.