underwear for bike riding?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by B_Marius567, Apr 20, 2007.

1. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

when I peddle my bike i hit my ball up between the seat and my legs somethimes. any underwear to fix this?

2. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    Is your saddle tilted up too high toward the front?

Spandex biking shorts are the best. You can get your dick and balls to stay put a little better so they don't flop down and get crushed between the saddle & your legs.

3. meatpackingbubba

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    BIKING SHORTS! And try to buy the kind with the real chamois lining....it will make a very large difference in your comfort. You may go through a few different ones before you find the right ones for you. I have at least a half dozen, but always wear my favorite REI brand with real chamois crotch padding. A good pair will easily cost $80+

A gel-padded bike seat cover or gel bike seat is also something that can be a good idea, especially for people that don't bike that often.

OH...and never, ever wear cotton underwear unless you want to be sore as hell at the end of a long ride.

4. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    When I got my road bike a year and a half ago, I bought an anatomically correct seat for it. What a difference! One thing I quickly found out is that briefs and bicycle seats don't mix. The seams in the crotch killed me. Oddly enough, I can wear street clothes with boxers for short rides and it works okay. So well that I switched to boxers and never wear briefs anymore.

Tomorrow I'm doing the 50 mile Rosarito to Ensenada bike ride. I have $90 Pearl Izumi cycling shorts that I wear for rides over 20 miles. As MeatPackingBubba mentioned, the chamois pad is critical to crotch comfort. I'm looking forward to the ride. There will be thousands of cyclists. Now if only the rain will stop!

5. boerkie

boerkie New Member

good luck with the ride boxerguy!!
    looks like it will be clear skies!!

6. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Use bike shorts as mentioned, and don't wear anything underneath them -- it defeats half the purpose of their existence (the other half being that they don't catch on the nose of the seat when you're moving on & off the saddle).

I'm actually foregoing padded cycling shorts for now and using some Under Armour thigh-length shorts. My seat is already pretty comfy.

7. auncut10in

auncut10in Well-Known Member

Albums:
    in San Francisco until April, then back sailing in
    I have done the AIDS ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles for the last 3 years. Love doing the ride. I have tried various biking shorts and for me, the best are the ones without any padding. They are also the cheapest. You can buy them for about $20 each compared to $80 for padded ones. I know that sounds like it would be uncomfortable, but it chaffs the least and makes those long rides (about 90 miles a day) the most comfortable. I have other friends that do the ride, and swear by various brands. So try some options out and see what works for you.

8. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    First of all, way to go Auncut10in! SF to LA - that's impressive. Who knows? If I train properly maybe I'll do it someday.

The ride in Mexico was a blast. The cycle shorts proved their merit. I had no problem being saddle sore. After the 50 miles yesterday, I could see a 100 mile ride in the near future.

9. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks Boerkie! I really enjoyed it. There was no rain. It was cool and cloudy for 3 hours and then became sunny.

10. RubberHarley

RubberHarley Member

Albums:
    Well, if you rode a Harley, you wouldn't have to worry about that!

11. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bump ;) -

I recently wore some PL (Pour Lui? Difficult to find them...) boxer briefs as bike shorts, and nobody seemed to notice, even in crowded downtown DC (or at least nobody spoke up or stared where I could see them). They're pretty short, and they have a pouch-like space in front that lets me poke forward some, but they're also black and spandex-y like any other cycling shorts.

It was a nice experience, being comfortable, sexy (at least in terms of sensation.. LOL), and functional all at the same time. I should only wear them when it's plenty hot outside.

Draft saved Draft deleted