Underwear Preference

Do you have a strong preference for one type of underwear over another, or is your choice more likely to be influenced by the circumstances - i.e. what else you are wearing, whether you are on a date etc.?

I find this a bit intriguing as I know of two very opposite opinions on this. My girlfriend for example never wears thongs. She still owns a few pairs, but hasn't worn them in ages. She finds them uncomfortable and prefers to have her butt covered, especially as it is quite chilly in Scotland for most of the year. Thus, she always wears regular briefs with full butt coverage. Her cheeky bikini bottoms are the only exception, and that's because she went for looks over comfort. On the random occasion where she might need to not show VPL, she has a couple of those seamless-type briefs, but never a thong. In the summer she'd rather go commando than have that string between her cheeks. We are both fine with this as lingeire is not a kink for either of us, but I do find it interesting how she has such a strong anti-thong position.

When I was in uni I shared a flat with a female business school student. We were on pretty good terms, but there was nothing sexual between us, nor did any of us attempt anything - figured that having a good flatmate was a valuable thing and did not want to add a sexual dimension to it. Being on good terms, we did split up the housekeeping duties and had a rota in place. I would sometimes help hang out the laundry, including hers, and I noticed that all her knickers (panties in the US) were thongs, from skimpy lacy ones to sports thongs. I did eventually bring it up as I was joking about having seen her underwear more often than her boyfriends and asked her how come she only wore thongs, as my impression back then was the they were more for special occasions, or for tight-fitting clothes. She was quite open about it and admitted that she hadn't worn a regular/non-thong pair of underwear in years and that when she got to the point where she was old enough to buy her own underwear, she always went for thongs. She said she got so used to wearing thongs that she found anything else uncomforable and even on her period she'd prefer using tampons so that she could avoid having to put on a pair of briefs.

Looking back I find this very interesting as these are two very different opinions on underwear preferences. As a guy I find it that we really are not that bothered, or at least not to the extent where I would specifically avoid one style of underwear, for example. Sure, I probably wouldn't wear a thong myself, but that's more because of a societal norm rather than practical reasons. I do tend to prefer tighter fitting boxer briefs as I like to have some support in the area, but I also go for looser fitting underwear if that happens to come up when I randomly pick a pair in the morning.

Do you ladies tend to have such strong opinions on underewear, or was it mostly coincidental that I got to hear two totally opposite and rather extreme views on the matter?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I hate thongs. I’m just a regular brief kind of woman. I mean, they’re pretty, but I like full coverage. Bikini briefs leave too much of a VPL, in my opinion. Of course, I have lace undies, and all sorts of other types, but daily briefs are my preference.

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I also hate g-strings (we don’t call them thongs here - thongs are for the feet!). I only wear them when I want to look or feel sexy.

Most of my underwear are full briefs. They range from seemfree to lacy to bikini cut to cute patterns. I also have some boy short briefs, with Calvin Klein being my favourite.

Another fun fact, I wear stockings every day to work, even in summer here. They are actually very comfortable and breathe so it’s not really hot in them.

My preferences are guided by my clothing: loose fitting dress/skirt = bikini or cheeky boy shorts (after a sudden updraft caused a marilyn monroe moment... I want to have coverage), anything right = thong. If there were no other factors, I'd pick bikini.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I also hate g-strings (we don’t call them thongs here - thongs are for the feet!). I only wear them when I want to look or feel sexy.

Most of my underwear are full briefs. They range from seemfree to lacy to bikini cut to cute patterns. I also have some boy short briefs, with Calvin Klein being my favourite.

Another fun fact, I wear stockings every day to work, even in summer here. They are actually very comfortable and breathe so it’s not really hot in them.
I really had to adjust my language when thong underwear became a thing. In Canada we always used to call ‘flip-flops’ ‘thongs’. You should have seen the looks on the faces of people when I told them that once I caught my thong under the lawnmower. :eek:

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I really had to adjust my language when thong underwear became a thing. In Canada we always used to call ‘flip-flops’ ‘thongs’. You should have seen the looks on the faces of people when I told them that once I caught my thong under the lawnmower. :eek:
Oh I had no idea that you called flip flops things too! Luckily us Aussie’s haven’t had to change our language. Some Aussie’s also call them “pluggers”. New Zealanders call them jandles lol

Funny story tho, when I was younger and worked in retail I was hanging up some underwear. A lady came over to me and asked if we have thongs. I didn’t know which she meant considering I was in the underwear section so looked at her like a stunned mullet. Of course, she was talking about flip flops though :)

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Oh I had no idea that you called flip flops things too! Luckily us Aussie’s haven’t had to change our language. Some Aussie’s also call them “pluggers”. New Zealanders call them jandles lol

Funny story tho, when I was younger and worked in retail I was hanging up some underwear. A lady came over to me and asked if we have thongs. I didn’t know which she meant considering I was in the underwear section so looked at her like a stunned mullet. Of course, she was talking about flip flops though :)
The U.S. has had a huge impact on our language. Chesterfields became sofas; serviettes became napkins; thongs became flip-flops. Kind of sad to see our old language go.

Do you wear a garter belt with the stockings or are they the stay-ups type?

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Do you wear a garter belt with the stockings or are they the stay-ups type?
Just your run of the mill stockings. Garter belts and not comfortable and are expensive af. I have one but it only gets worn as a sexy lingerie set when appropriate.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The U.S. has had a huge impact on our language. Chesterfields became sofas; serviettes became napkins; thongs became flip-flops. Kind of sad to see our old language go.

America is known for ruining perfectly nice things. Like the UN and Climate Control. Sorry about the thongs.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Ah ah ah.... a chesterfield is a type of sofa. Couch is more of an equivalency.
As a kid, I called the toe divider sandals thongs. I suspect the same toe flossing/butt flossing action carried over to underwear and an onomatopoeia for the annoying noise became a name for the sandal.

as someone who grew up with napkins meaning serviettes and period pads..then moved to where it meant diapers, I was destined to cloth so my brain would disconnect all the disposable options.
Of course, I used cloth diapers, cloth pads (and cup) as well, so....the brain is weird.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Just your run of the mill stockings. Garter belts and not comfortable and are expensive af. I have one but it only gets worn as a sexy lingerie set when appropriate.
Speaking of language...what are:
suspenders
US: hold up trousers (if you see where I’m going, I’ll get there)
UK: hold up stockings

Pants
US: jeans, trousers
UK: underwear

could I get Canada and Australia and NZ added?

Reactions: lms28

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Pants
AUS: jeans, pants

these are my favourite type of games. They don’t bring all the bouts to the yard though.

AUS: jeans, pants, slacks (work attire)
AUS: underwear, undies, jocks

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Speaking of language...what are:
suspenders
US: hold up trousers (if you see where I’m going, I’ll get there)
UK: hold up stockings

Pants

Canada

Suspenders (or braces in some small areas) hold up dress pants
Garters hold up stockings

Pants are jeans or trousers

Reactions: Scarletbegonia

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
My 'preference' when it comes to knickers is none, I'm a big woman and they always end up being gobbled up by my bum and lady bits. I'll wear them for the bedroom but day to day life I rather go without

I prefer boyshorts for everyday wear, and a thong only for when I'm dressing up and need to avoid panty lines. I'm very particular about my thongs though, and if they're not comfy I don't keep them around. You really can't go wrong with boyshorts though.