Underwear suggestions?

redneckgymrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been reading up on the Starter brand from WalMart. They have basic briefs in cotton with some spandex, and come in sizes up to 2x, for under $10 for a 5 pack. Great price, and locally available.

My biggest problems with fit are the size of the crotch area and the rise. Well, the model on the package actually has visible genitals, unlike many brands, and the rise I can adjust by reattaching the waistband, if necessary. Maybe they'll work?

History shows me that the standard Hanes 2x is tolerable, and FTL 2x is just awful for me. But they're 100% cotton.

Maybe Starter, a different brand that includes spandex in their blend, will be workable for the time being? It's worth a try.

(Gads, I HATE the trial and error approach!)

Assuming I ever finish it, I'd be happy to publish my own pattern on this site, for any interested members to use.

nuiolo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I've had the same issue. Here's two options to try that I've found work well. The first is a pair of obviously or John siever briefs. They are some of the most comfortable briefs I've ever worn. But only the original designs the newer ones are not so gracious in the front.

The sexing is to use a ball lifter. I tried one after annoyingly sitting on my nuts for years. They work great, even under boxers or crappy fitting briefs and alone.

Internationaljock.com is a great place to start.

Good underwear is an investment. While I enjoy freeballing, sometimes it's a little too obvious and I need the extra support when working out.

Hope that helps.

My never ending saga....what underwear will fit, support, minimize. I read with envy about comfort, fabric choices, colour, cut etc. I wish i could stroll around in boxers or not wear any underwear at all...OMG. Just not practical in my experience. I tend to stick with tiny briefs that are really not big enough at all , as they minimize well. I compromise comfort for support and minimizing. I try and be as discrete as i can without being too self conscious about it, if i wear comfortable underwear like boxer briefs, i end up hanging down one side of my jeans or the other and have a huge bulge. I cant wear tight jeans , i refuse to wear big baggy pants and look like a clown......So i try and make do. Briefs that have enough room in the front are xxxl which dont fit at all as i am quite slim. I have never considered making underwear to fit, but it does sound good. Any suggestions or similar experiences would be helpfull. Thanks.

redneckgymrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's the second time I've seen someone mention minimizing. Why minimize?

We're big. First and foremost, let's talk about comfort and support. I have no desire to smash it in and make it look tiny. Is it for cosmetic reasons? I just want it not to flop around, or get sat on! At this stage it's just a matter of function.

Ball lifter -- I've never heard of this. I will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Other than "boxers let them swing around, a jock strap holds them in," my father never discussed this type of thing with me, growing up. Like so many of us, I'm learning this later in life.

Last night I went to WalMart and checked out the clearance rack. *LOVE* the clearance rack!!! Got some Starter boxer briefs in size 2xl, for only $7 for 3 pair. 98% cotton, 2% spandex. Right now they're very loose and not very supportive, but I'll wash and shrink them in the dryer, and see what they're like. They do seem quite stretchy, which seems like it'll be nice. If they fit, great...if they don't, I'll wear them for sleeping.

In my experience, anything that is primarily cotton will shrink. And, usually, by just about a full size. So if this holds true, these should end up the right size for me.

If they work, they're a great deal and I'll go back and buy them out!

Boxer briefs...I would never have considered them, a week ago.

Last edited:

redneckgymrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good underwear is an investment. While I enjoy freeballing, sometimes it's a little too obvious and I need the extra support when working out.
Good underwear is a fairly sizable investment! That's one of the reasons for this thread. I'm trying to figure out a way to get around that.

I'm trying to lose weight, and have no problem spending money when it's appropriate. But, having to replace everything you own, every few months (hopefully every 2 months, or so, assuming loss of an inch a month from my waist), will get expensive. Back of the envelope calculations show, for 2xist replaced every 2 months, that I'm looking at the better part of $1000 over the next year, just for underpants. Frankly, that's a lot of money.

I know it's a cliche, but *there has got to be a better way!*

redneckgymrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I'm on my second day of wearing the Starter branded 2x boxer briefs. The rise is a little bit high for me, which means that they'll fall to my natural waist...and fall, such that I have less support than I need.

Apparently I need underwear with suspenders!

Other than that, though, they seem to fit well, and support adequately when in place. Which means that a simple modification, by moving the waistband, may just result in a "perfect" fit for daily wear.

And, I found some BIKE jock straps on sale with free shipping...will be ordering a couple tonight, to wear when more active. I'm a 44 waist...that places me at the point right between XL and XXL in BIKE. How does the fit run in this brand...do I need to go for XL or XXL?

Hooray...I've not been supported, thinking back, for years. Hindsight, and all that. Support feels SOOO much better!

Last edited:

jockbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
BIKE jocks do run a little small. I wear 36" jeans and they are not snug on me. So I bought size L in the BIKE. The waist band is plenty snug and will start to dig in after awhile. It depends on your intended use. I'm looking for something that supports while being comfortable for all day use. Next time I might get XL. I do find that tucking my T-shirt into the waistband helps alot. If you will be wearing the jock for workouts I think you will want the XL. You plan to lose weight anyway. The BIKE is the most comfortable real jock that I have found and it does its job. In my quest to find all-day comfort and support I tried Murano and Joe Boxer thongs...... BINGO. I was pleasantly surprised. Johnny and the twins are comfortably supported and I have great freedom of movement. I know a thong is not considered to be manly but they are dammned sure comfortable!

redneckgymrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm big...but he's unbelievable. He must have loved the baggy pants grunge fashions...or as I called them at the time, erection-wear. Nothing hid a growing bulge like jeans that were 10" larger than your waist, and an oversized flannel shirt.

BTW, I think my sewing pattern is finally set in my mind. Next step is to mock up a prototype. Can't wait for underwear that actually fits, supports, and doesn't let me fall out or flop around.