Undiscovered singers. A secret fascination.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Terra Naomi was discovered on YouTube, she's fab, I often look on there for new and interesting singers and I'd actually seen the singer you mention before. When you look at the dross we're force fed from programs like Pop Idol, X Factor and American Idol it seems a shame that talented singers like these might go unnoticed.

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's too much of a synergy now between music, product endorsement, and corporate sponsorship for most mainstream (ie- radio friendly) music to shine with any artistic flavor.

As far as amateur singers go, just get involved in your local indie music scene and you'll see a few shining stars mixed in with the usual rubbish. Then hope that they never get "discovered", as then you'll be forced to watch the erosion of a lot of the things that made them original to begin with. I used to be really plugged into the Toronto music scene and got to witness firsthand a whole pile of bands that released sparkling indie efforts, gained enough recognition to earn a major label deal, then stunk the place out with the sophomore effort. Music (or art in general) wasn't meant to hauled in front of "focus groups" at the pre-release stage in order make sure it's been watered down for the masses.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Music and art are what make life justifyable, in fact, it's the majority of what we know about civilisations past. No one will remember our politicos, businessmen or even religious leaders, but they may know of our paintings, music and sculpture. If we're lucky, some literature may survive.

To defile art is a most egregious of sins. Music that is made because the musician needs to make it is always preferable to that which is being mass manufactured to serve financial ends. Music that is not art is on offense to me, and a fouling of its purpose.

Okay, now that I've shown what a big fat ass I really am, this girl is amazingly pretty. Her voice has character and her singing is lovely, but I was more taken with her appearance than anything. I LOVE indie music, and I pay money to go to concerts and buy cds when I don't even pay my rent, that's no lie.

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I really enjoy undiscovered artists. Most of the stuff that I listen to, while not so obscure as to only sing on youtube, is pretty unmentioned (you certainly won't see it on MTV and rarely the radio). I believe it's much more powerful and true to life because it has not been relentlessly filtered by record labels and producers that just want to make a quick dollar. Also, I think there is something very charming and inviting about undiscovered artists that you won't get from someone of "star status".

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just love that Sade song. This girl on YouTube -she's great. I'd go to one of her shows. Beautiful voice. It's nice to know that a lot of talent out there now has an outlet to us thru the internet without having to be funneled through the music industry machine. I do frequent the current foriegn song section on iTunes. JustAsking - if it's not too much to ask can you provide some links to your favorite indie music sites?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
.... JustAsking - if it's not too much to ask can you provide some links to your favorite indie music sites?
Earl,
Sorry, I just noticed this query. Actually, I have been so busy trying to get a company started for the last few years, that I am way out of the loop when it comes to indie music sites. My wife is all over that stuff, but I am a hopeless relic. I do happen to crusie YouTube, though, and like discovering singers like the one I linked to.

So yeah, I am sure you are way cooler than I am, earl.

Here is my favorite amateur, though. The late Eva Cassidy. Undiscovered local Wash DC talent who became a worldwide sensation by word of mouth 5 years after she died of cancer. Her posthumous CD cuts are played and covered all over the place and hardly anyone knows who she is. For example, Michelle Kwan skated to this in the Olympics.

She had tremendous range, though. It wasn't all quiet ballads. Dig this one (sample from Amazon.com) but be careful it doesn't nail you to the back wall. I swear she is singing this as a trumpet part with words.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Singing is what I do.

And while I have youtube videos AND a myspace music page, I refuse to do it myself...as it would reveal what I look like. LMAO.

PM me, and if you're cool I'll send it to you (one or the other).

...with me, I should say. Cool with me. lol

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Singing is what I do.

And while I have youtube videos AND a myspace music page, I refuse to do it myself...as it would reveal what I look like. LMAO.

PM me, and if you're cool I'll send it to you (one or the other).

...with me, I should say. Cool with me. lol

Um, am I cool? I wanna see!

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
<.>
Here is my favorite amateur, though. The late Eva Cassidy. Undiscovered local Wash DC talent who became a worldwide sensation by word of mouth 5 years after she died of cancer. Her posthumous CD cuts are played and covered all over the place and hardly anyone knows who she is. For example, Michelle Kwan skated to this in the Olympics.
<.>

Yup, I know that woman. Must have been around the spring/early summer of 2001 that I've first heard of her. I remember that the CD booklet stated that a demo tape she had sent to a radio station program manager had been gathering dust in his glovebox for over five years.

My other favorite for undiscovered artists is a band that played a leading supporting role in a 1983 UK movie, Local Hero, named "The Acetones". I found out there seem to exist several bands of that name, but the ones I mean are no longer active. I tried to get a soundtrack of that movie, which actually presents all the songs played in the movie, but played by a different band (Mark Knopfler and the Dire Straits). So, the only tape currently around (that I know of) of the band shown in the movie is the one
that I recorded myself.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL!...you're cool. Check your PM's.

I sent it to JustAsking and Madame Zora...I'm the one singing lead. x_x;

Thank for letting me know I'm cool enough, I was sweating it!:tongue:

You have a voice like liquid gold baby, I bet you get lines of groupies after your shows! Between that and your beautiful smile you probably never get a moment's peace.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Thank you! ^_^

Despite popular belief, I am a very quiet, reserved, and modest guy. So I guess I get attention, but I don't really know how to deal with it. lol

Oh yeah...now you're one of 4 LPSG'ers to have seen my face. :)

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay