Unflattering...

neworlnssteel: I know I ma not be the only one who experiences this sometimes, but I gotta ask. Have any of you ever looked at your dick, knowing it is big but to you it doesn't look like it is. I mean sometimes looking dwon it just doesn't look as impressive as I think a 9" dick should look. I look at a ruler and 9" looks huge but when i look at my dick it doesn't look as impressive. Anyone else experience this?

da_blissmachine: yeah it is because we are used to it so it looks like a penis should look like....... when you think "huge penis" you think one that is bigger than what ur used to looking at.... bigger than urs. i still couldnt believe it when i compared sizes with my best buddy who is a little under 7 inches. "Dude I can't believe how big ur dick is!" "Neither can i.........." his is above average somewhat but it looked pretty small to me..........usually i just wrap my two fists around it and see that there is room for another..... most guys say they can only fit one.. i didnt believe guys when they said they couldnt fit 2 fists on their dick for a long time...... i've been able to since i was 12. sometimes it still doesnt sink in that i'm hung...... well maybe better off it doesnt get to my head.... then the women i do will be pleasently surprised (for once, as opposed to all the guys who say they have 9 inch dicks and really probably have 5 or 6 inchers; one who doesnt say how big it is beyond "more than an inch and less than a foot" and really DOES have 9 inches!)

Donk: I have experienced this and I think there are a few factors that go into it. I agree with bliss that part of it is that you are used to seeing your own penis.

Also, I have read several times (usually in magazine advice columns responding to guys who are worried that their penises are small) that there is an optical illusion that makes angle at which you see your penis when you look down at it makes it appear smaller to you than it appears to someone viewing it from the side. My flaccid penis always gets looks in the locker room. This doesn't surprise me when I know it is hanging in a relaxed, longer state or if it is semi-erect. But sometimes it is in a more shrunken state--from cold or whatever--I will glance down at it and think, OK, it still looks like a decent sized penis but it doesn't really look like anything special at this moment. But it still gets looks. Then I will catch a glimpse of it in the mirror from the side and realize that it still must look pretty impressive to guys of more average endowment. Similar thing sometimes when I am at home with an erection and I stand in front of a mirror. That's when it hits home--yeah, I can understand how an average sized guy would be blown away if he compared his erection to mine.

I think another factor is curvature. Most penises are not perfectly straight. Mine has a significant downward curve. When I look at 11" on a ruler, it seems impossibly long for a penis even to me. If I lay the ruler on top of my penis, the head will curve away from the ruler and it won't hit 11". Yet when I lay a cloth tape measure along my erect penis, sure enough the actual length of flesh from groin to hole comes right up to the 11" mark. Often if I just mention my size to someone who hasn't seen it I will get a reaction like "I'm looking at 11" on a ruler and I just can't believe a penis could be that long." I think they are picturing a straight perfect cylinder, like a big Pringle's can sticking out of my groin. Picturing a column of flesh in that size and shape, I can see why anyone would be skeptical. But most penises, like other body parts, have a more natural, irregular shape. Fortunately, I think the natural shape of my penis also makes it easier to fit into a woman than a Pringle's can would be.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm the opposite. Even though I'm used to seeing my own cock, it's obviously larger than the others in the locker room. I'm a shower, and a 7¼" soft cock on a dude standing just 5'6" ... well, it just doesn't look small to me!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I'm just not that impressed by mine. I know it hangs rather big compared to the next guy (and trust me, my babe reminds me of that all the time), but I've lived with it for 22 years. It just doesn't amaze me like it does the populous.

neworlnssteel: thanx as always for the replys guys! Very insightful.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, at 6'3", I don't have DMW's problem. I didn't realize it was large until I had sex with a woman who told me it was large. LOL I mean, when you're a kid, you just figure every other kid's dick you've seen (in comparisons, in showers, at urinals, etc) is just underdeveloped. And of course you don't see them hard.

When I got home and measured it, it was 9". In the next couple years, I had my last growth spurt and reached 10.5".

da_blissmachine: Whopper really? I'm 5'5" with a 9 inch and sometimes I still don't think it's really big unless I see it compared with another, like this once I was in a public locker room and was changing in front of a younger guy (probably about 13 or 14, a little taller than me, with about a 5-5.5 inch dick). He just stared for a while with his mouth open. Then he said "gross!" and ran away. Then it was REALLY obvious

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes, really. When it's soft at 7¼", it hangs halfway down to my knee. When erect at 9¼", it extends two inches above my navel. It's bigger around than my wrist. When I look at that in the mirror, I'm supposed to perceive it as small? Sorry, but I don't. I see what most dudes at the gym sport, and they're not as big unless there are some major growers that I don't know about. It sure looks big to me.

littlbigguy: I can relate to what you guys are talking about. Mine does not look all that impressive to myself if I'm standing and looking down on it, but if I happen to pass a full length mirror I'll do a double take of the "that's more like it" variety. Also, being more a grower than a shower, and something of an exhibitionist to myself, I often get it hard and then place it over my thigh or alongside my arm or up against my tummy, where its full dimension (9.75 x 6.5) becomes visually apparent to myself.  It's not exactly like I still need to reassure myself of my size, but it's nevertheless a kick  to give  the most impressive visual feedback to myself every now and again.

Max

Sexy Member
Media
I'm sure that it is familiarity that leads to the thought that what we have seems less than impressive on occasion.

In my mid teens, long before I had reached full size, I was totally intimidated by the size of my penis. So far as I was concerned it looked totally out of scale, and it nearly always looked furiously angry ... as if to say "What am I doing attached to a wimp like you???" -- I was a pretty uncertain shy sort of a boy. I found getting used to the growing size and weight of what I had to deal with more of a challenge than a boost to the ego.

Now, even though my whole set of equipment is considerably bigger than it was then -- I have had years (and years!) to get used to it. The daily adjustments I make to deal with being well hung are semi-conscious at most. If ever I see a guy crossing his legs that in itself is a reminder of my difference.

One thing about appearance that never fails to amuse me (and embarrass me on occasion) ... despite the fact that I ought to expect it, when I see myself in someone else's photo, the trade mark crotch bulge is unfailingly there, and to see what I look like to other people catches me by surprise. Sometimes I think I ought to do more to disguise it, but the options are limited!

Re being a little forshortened by the cold etc ... this happens less as you get older, I think. But in my case when I do shrink below my standard soft length (about 7.25" or so), the length of loose foreskin and the number of wrinkles on the shaft (yuck, sorry) give a pretty strong indication of growth potential. And somehow the feelings of bulk and weight are always there. You just get used to it.

blak9: Yeah, I can relate. Before I measured, I thought I was about average. I would have estimated it to be about 7 inches hard (whereas most men over-estimate.). Come to think of it, it probably was about 7 inches before my weight loss.

ORCABOMBER: Well, I can;t really get a good bulge as I'm a grower, altough I suceeded in a tracksuit and one woman liked it! Something to show off.

Shame I don't wear tracksuits anymore. :(

OrangeJulius: My problem is that although I'm 7.5" erect, when I'm in the locker room, the damn thing almost disappears. I might be setting a record for percentage growth. :-[

Even when it's hard though and I'm looking down or when I'm watching someone swallow it, I'm really just not impressed.

ThighSlapper: Me & the ball and chain discuss that all the time.

To me, it doesn't really look like much of anything either hard or soft, but sometimes he'll remind me to look at the print down the inside of the sweat pants and I go, "Oh, yeah!!!!!"

But, yeah. There have been times when I had it whipped out with a group of guys and they made comments, I was trying to figure out who they were talking about.

canamrock: Well, despite how I've scared my classmates with my endowment before (that's a very different topic), I still oftentimes find myself seeing my penis as being small. Sure, I wear Magnums, but it still doesn't seem to me that it's big at all. Since I'm smaller and taller than DoubleMeatWhopper, it's no suprise that he'd find it far easier to see himself as being large. Then again, I don't know if I could ever accept anything as big enough. lol