Unions... I laugh at you, well done.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by faceking, Feb 19, 2008.

1. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    States with the two highest union membership (an antiquated liberal preservation turned pure evil manifested in good intentions).... and their umemployment rates.

the states with the top two highest rates of union members...happen to comprise the bottom two states of unemployment.

Alaska, Michigan

50 ALASKA 6.4 51 MICHIGAN 7.4

you get what you deserve. way to drive out business.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0882960.html

Mississippi, Washington, California, Connecticut, Ohio also high on the Union Membership percentage. ... and have any of you actually been to the "rest" of DC? a seminal Democrat stronghold since the dawn of humankind? Talk about a loathesome city.

36 CONNECTICUT 5
    44 CALIFORNIA 5.6
    44 OHIO 5.6
    46 DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 5.7
    49 MISSISSIPPI 6.3
    50 ALASKA 6.4
    51 MICHIGAN 7.4
    Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics

Want more. Work more. Earn it.

2. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I laugh at the plight of others all the time. Because I'm not just an asshole, I'm a mouthy asshole.

3. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    It's about recognizing that the serum is aiding the disease.... that's all.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

well, i do have to say, unions aside...DC is quite a shithole.

:smile:

5. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Nah, 'we' ignore that when we visit the office of said Demo congressperson's office,... as their limo out of Reagan or Dulles is sure to take the "scenic" route to the office, while they write their speeches on welfare and equality.

6. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Better recognize that there's a hell of a lot more that causes unemployment than unions first. Misrepresenting numbers to make a faulty point is just trashy.

7. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

DC's not that bad.

during the 80s maybe but today it's okay.

8. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was quite crummy when I went there in the 90s, but I've heard that it's gotten significantly better.

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Unions are one of the factors that have bid labour costs up in the States, but of course you're right ... there are lots of other factors.
    Faceking always oversimplifies.

10. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    I would not argue otherwise regarding unions. I also wouldn't try to represent unemployment rates as being a direct result of union membership. One could as easily say, "States with the highest unemployment rates end up having more people join unions in order to secure their jobs." Completely faulty logic on both ends.

11. D_Gunther Snotpole

We're on the same song sheet.

12. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Kinda like the myriad of "oversinmplified" posts that say Bush is bad for the economy, yet most can't name the Chairman of the Fed. Indeed, but start out with some simple premises, then build out factual cases. But in some industries it's staring point blank in their faces... especially when candidates (and I will avoid saying a specific candidates name this time) when they say they will restore the auto industry in that region. What any effect could have would take years (technology, wage rates, marketing).. such BS for a candidate to say they could turn around an industry crippled by unions.... other than keeping them afloat with $$$$.

Seriously, am I wrong on that. How can a President improve a product on a industry riddled by the unions without throwing money to keep them afloat for the sake of it.

Anyways, if I typed out 3,000 words on this subject, my company would fold, and I'd lose any attention here. Not ripping on Canada, but unions there derived well from the UK influence, but got turned a bit south by the loathsomeness and bullying characteristic from the States. I'll give Canadian unions a bit more kudos, but not much, via the likes of the CUPEs of Canada...

13. D_Gunther Snotpole

This is just illogical. Bush may or may not have been bad for the economy, but someone could be saying a perfectly true thing about Bush's performance vis a vis the economy, and not know the Chairman of the Fed.

That's pretty true, I'd say.
    But Guy-Jin and I are just saying that the effects of labour costs on the marketability of American cars and, for that matter, other products are only one factor in the equation.

Union membership in Canada is falling, if I'm not mistaken.
    Buy a parka and move up here.

14. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:

I doubt it... have you read any retorts here lately???

No I agree, but I substantiated that "a solution" whatever it is .. isn't going to work. We've been through this before... it's about product/quality.

Any good surf?

15. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    This bears repeating for truth.

16. D_Gunther Snotpole

I don't have a clue what you mean.
    I'm just speaking in principle ... no reference intended to any things posted.

Yeah, on the west coast, for anyone who comes lugging a wetsuit.
    Brrrrr.

17. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Much employment here is seasonable, construction, tourism, and fish processing. People are happy to be laid off in the fall and collect unemployment through the winter. There is no lack of prosperity. The state government is almost entirely covered by oil royalties, there is no state income or sales tax, and each resident receives a permanent fund dividend, last year $1,600.

I am able to begin collecting retirement from my union since turning 50.

18. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't think that many of you are in a union or have family members in it, or even know anyone that is in a union for that matter, you are all just armchair pundits just sounding off on things that you have heard. Trade unions are responsible for most of the pleasures that we enjoy to this very day, ones like:

a 40 hour workweek
    an 8 hour day
    overtime
    the end of child labor
    on the job safety
    a minimum wage

You know, stupid shit...

Go ahead... hate on the common worker, move to the South where there aren't any unions and you'll find that American citizens are being replaced with illegal Mexicans faster than you can say Rush Limbaugh... you know why? BECAUSE THE WORKERS AREN'T ORGANIZED AND DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHTS

Do you know what slave labor entails?

Do you know how to stop it?

WITH TRADE UNIONS THAT'S HOW... BUT IF PEOPLE LIKE Y'ALL HAVE YOUR WAY WITH YOUR BULLSHIT RHETORIC, THE TRADE UNIONS IN THIS COUNTRY WILL GO THE WAY OF THE DINOSAUR WITH ALL OF THE DISINFORMATION THAT PEOPLE LIKE SOME OF YOU SPREAD PERPETUATING MYTHS ABOUT WORKERS WHO ORGANIZE!

19. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I know pretty much nothing about Unionism in the States and Canada, but I think we have a fairly good balance now in the UK between the interests of all stakeholders. I would put a lot of the blame for the demise of industry in the UK in the 60's and 70's down to politicised Unions in State owned monopolies.

Isn't it the case though FK, that Unions tend to be found in heavy industries, and these are the industries that are suffering against global competition in your country? So you might expect there to be higher unemployment in these areas.

20. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    In the Us the balance is in favor of management at the expense of workers. The republican governments have been very anti labor.

Here in Alaska teachers and state workers are organized, my union, though originally and mainly construction oriented, includes the employees of one of the hospitals here.
    Probably the most exploited workers in the US are agricultural.

From what I have heard of the auto industry, I would agree that the wages and benefits are set at more than the industry can support.
    Medical and senior care and retirement costs should be spread around, and not be entirely the burden of the employer.
    With my union, retirement pension is managed by a trust set up by the union, no employer has any connection to it.

International trade agreements should include provisions to reduce exploitation of workers.

Draft saved Draft deleted