Unity in America, where has it gone?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Marazion Analdouche, Jun 2, 2008.

1. D_Marazion Analdouche

Now I am going to start this off making an initial point. This isn't about the war, and Bush etc. There are other issues that are going on that have nothing to do at all with these items that cause division.

However, I do blame politics and political organizations to some extent when it comes to this matter. The other is people not having the ability to think for itself.

I don't need the religious right telling me what I can listen to, what I can watch. The FCC telling us what can and can't be on TV, every form of media you purchase either has an off button or a dial to change channels. I shouldn't have to pay 15 bucks a month just so I can hear the word "fuck" come out of my radio.

I don't need republicans wasting time arguing over abortion. A grown woman has the right to do whatever she wants with her own body. I personally am against it, meaning, if I was in that situation being male I would like to have the child. But I cannot tell someone or convince her to do something she doesn't want to do.

Same with gay marriage, I've tried to see what the problem is with this. I can't come up with one thing so stay out of it.

I don't need extreme liberals telling me not to drive my 5000 pound V8 SuV that I enjoy regardless of gas prices. I don't need liberals telling me I can't spank my kids on the ass if they get out of line, otherwise I will have the department of social services called on me. This one bothers me to no end. When did tapping a kid on the rear-end become a scaring act that a child will need therapy to get over?

Kids today in my opinion do not understand consequence. The example I use a lot is the Columbine shootings. These kids were building pipebombs in their parents garage, and one had Nazi flags in his room. The parents thought it was a "phase". A phase? Being 16 and dying your hair purple is a phase. If I was living in my father's house and hanging Nazi flags on my wall he would have beat my ass up and down the street until I understood I screwed up and why. Sorry but kids need to have a little butt kicking from time to time. Timeouts may work for a couple kids, some just need their butts wacked to bring them back to reality.

Racism, will never make sense to me. It's amazing to me how many people over the course of history have been killed over race, religion even sexual orientation. I cannot understand why people are so stubborn, ignorant, blind etc etc etc. The only thing I can't tolerate is people without tolerance.

However this also sometimes works both ways. If someone questions someone of another race/religion, this doesn't automatically make them a bigot. And is an unfair lable to just throw around because you can get away with it being in a specific minority. We need to get away from the double standards.

Obviously there are more issues than what I've listed. Just wanted to get the thread going. People are screaming we are losing our rights due to the current administration. Well, if you look across the board both parties try and force their agenda on us. And people on both sides sometimes blindly follow it dividing us as a nation.

Neither side has it right, other than commiting actual crimes against each other, we should just be left alone to live our lives as we see fit.

2. Flashy

Gold Member

disband the republican and democratic parties I say.

:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

3. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    couldnt agree more.

1. einstein himself noticed that most people are lambs. it inspired him to say that "few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts". but it's not just tha majority of adults. so many children develop their social views based on what their parents say. kids will repeat things their parents say just because their parents said it. even thought they probably have no idea what it means.

2. if my girlfriend got pregnant i would urge her to have the child. and of course i would not abandon her. i couldnt stand the thought of my child growing up without a father like i did. but its a woman's body. she can do whatever the hell she wants.

3. apparently , in today's pussified society , it equates to a sin to discipline a child. yet the bible that so many people are quick to quote encourages it. if i never got my ass whipped i probably woulda got in ten times more trouble than i did. and probably woulda have ended up in jail. but nowadays, you are an inferior parent if you spank your kids. but go ahead and call child services if you want to little kids, you'll regret it the second you step foot in a foster home.

4. luckily (and thankfully) you are not one of the many people naive enough to think that racism is completely non-existent. sometimes it seems like the people who deny the existence of discrimination are the ones who arent discriminated against. and its like a never endind cycle. my brothers and sisters are to busy blaming white bigots and white bigots are to busy stereotyping. our country is getting better but there are still harsh reminders every day in these 7 states of the deep south. luckily more people are becoming more fond of thinking with their own heads instead of taking daddy's word for everything.

and lets not even get started on the double standards. this nation was built on double standards

4. D_Marazion Analdouche

Well I think I've been lucky in some ways regarding my upbringing and background. I grew up mostly in the northeast being of Scottish, German with a little American Indian tossed in there (I know all kinds of drinking history mixed into that one lol).

My grandfather (mother's father) was very much the racist, but my mother was a hippy :439:so luckily for me she didn't carry any of that hatred. My father was a vietnam veteran that would only say bad things about someone if they pissed him off regardless of race, color, creed. And it was always to that persons face anyways lol.

I've seen both sides of racism though and even being a white male I've also been the "victim" for lack of a better word. When I was about 9, we moved to West Virginia, and even moving into a predominately white area, I was a target of being the new kid in town. Every day was a struggle just because I talked differently, go figure.

Then we moved to Passaic, NJ. Now I was going to an elementary school that had a very low percentage of white kids, I would say about 20% was white at best. I was harrassed and got into fights more or less weekly there as well even at that young age. We ended up moving back to new England after a little while, but I'll never forget those experiences.

However with all that I don't have resentment towards a specific group of people for it either. I mean I would have to hate everybody if I did. I would have to hate white people from my time in WV, then blacks and hispanics from my time living in NJ.

Then I joined the military. I spent a fair amount of time down south, Alabama, Missouri, Mississppi and racism was very much alive. Not saying the entire south is racist, but the people I came across that were, had no problems letting you know about it.

Which I just don't understand. If your white, how is another race effecting you? I mean really, are other races the downfall of the country? Look up the stats, there are a lot of poor white trash people sucking off the system. So you can't play that card I hear far too often. If you are of another race, I understand that there is racism, and there is still hatred out there and can be a hindrance against you. But is every reason you have for not getting ahead the fault of the white man?

People are people, it's time to start looking at each other as human beings that all have the same goals. We all want to be happy, regardless if it's getting ahead, raising a family, staying single, starting a business, whatever. You peel away the layers of skin color and more often than not you will find we are all pretty close deep down in what we all want in life.

5. Flashy

Gold Member

Can someone direct me to the "What's your favorite type of ice cream" thread? :biggrin1:

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Your philosophies as outlined above, would have marked you as an extreme Commie Pinko 30 years ago, just so you know.

The tolerance and openness to the freedom of others to explore life by their own standards, separate from any specific religious teachings would have made you an Atheist, or at least extremely agnostic.

Your generation is much more open to diversity and has the strongest live-and-let-live attitude ever found in American culture. I may never live to see the point when your generation and its philosophies gain majority status, though i hope I do.

But don't be surprised that pockets of resistance will always dog you in your pursuit of realizing your ideals on a political level. The trouble with diversity is that it, by definition, respects such diametrically-opposite opinions as one's own that any "unity" will always be elusive.

And, as always, be prepared for the swings of public opinion and "backlash" that inevitably accompany progression in the social order. In the 35 years I've been politically aware, I've seen the pendulum swing back and forth many times.

7. D_Marazion Analdouche

I don't know but if you find it grab me a pint of pistachio or maple walnut will ya.

8. Flashy

Gold Member

mmmm maple walnut.

when i was a sprout and used to ski up in Vermont, there was an ice cream place that made this wicked sunday called a "sap bucket"

it had

Maple Walnut Ice Cream
    Butter Almond Ice Cream
    Maple Syrup
    whipped cream
    and pieces of peanut brittle

drool

9. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I think U.S. society is fragmenting. Why? I have no idea, but have put a lot of thought into it. One of my favorite Professors said a few years ago that we were becoming a culture at war with itself, and I think he is correct. Everything is a divisive issue - well, everything that doesn't matter - gay marriage, liberal, conservative, abortion, american idol winner, angelina jolie or jennifer aniston, etc. All distractions from the real issues and used as a crutch to remain nonparticipant and passively receptive.

:biggrin1: Or something, sort of not fully developed. When I have time.

Shit, I am alllll for ass beating.
    These kids do not know the fear, and their parents do not know the power, of making a child go outside and pick a branch off a peach tree and then maybe or maybe not getting spanked with it - but fearing that happen while getting 'the talk'.

And Ita!

10. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I'll take a pint of ben and jerrys frozen yogurt, in chocolate brownie and a mr. pibb. Thx! :biggrin1:

11. D_Marazion Analdouche

It's true that diversity and unity are exclusive ideals, but at the sametime, it's about forcing it on someone else, or having it bring you to the point of hate.

If you are white and don't want to marry someone of any other ethnic background, that's your right to do so. Same goes in the reverse. But hating someone for choosing this as something they want to do is rediculous and flat out ignorant. Same with religions, which as you mentioned I am agnostic. Religion is supposed to represent how to live a morale and just life, when all it has done is cause division. The hypocrisy is endless.

I just don't comprehend how people can be so easily brainwashed by such beliefs.

12. Flashy

Gold Member

You ain't got no ice cream, you didn't get none, you didn't get none...

LOL

13. D_Marazion Analdouche

I got into my fair share of trouble as a kid, but what kept me out of "real" trouble wasn't getting arrested or whatever. It was coming home after the fact. I'm not old, but I am old enough to have lived as a kid when cops wouldn't arrest you or bring you in for stupid stuff like blowing up mailboxes etc. They would just bring you home and hand you over to your folks.

I remember one time I was like 16, and I said something to my mother that I never should have said and she wacked me. Being 16 and almost a foot taller than my mother I laughed at her, that wasn't the right thing to do. She smirked at me walked to the kitchen picked up the phone and called my father at work. Needless to say I didn't talk back to my mother that way again.

My father passed away a couple years ago at the age of 60. But I tell you what, even the years before he got sick he could still give me the look and I'd get that cold chill down my back. Our relationship didn't suffer for it either, he was the best friend I ever had. What's ironic is that we got into a lot of trouble together when we would hang around when I became an adult. My wife at the time and my mother made us each sleep on the couch many a night after we got together.

14. D_Duane Pipe

D_Duane Pipe New Member

I think if people watched less TV and read the newspaper less, the feeling of division in America would decrease. These mediums tend to draw people at both ends of the spectrum. As one instructor explained, that most people are in the middle of the political/social/relgious spectrum (90%) and that the remaining 10% were divided in half b/n the right and the left, but that 10% is the most vocal. I mean, you look at people like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity (sp), Al Franken, etc. These people are extreme, yet they're the ones that get the attention. I think that feeds a lot in the feeling of division in America.

And, I'd like three scoops of Mint Chocolate Chip on a waffle cone.

15. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    hellelujah. that's the point of it but now people seem to think that it's about abuse. its about respect

16. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Wartrac, it sounds like your political/social philosophy is very close to my own. Very libertarian. The neo-cons and the "conservative sheeple" think it's a liberal-radical philosophy, but in actuality, it is a truly conservative way of thinking. Unfortunately, our two party political system has perverted the ideals of our founding fathers.

Sadly enough, neither side - the demican or the republicrats can comprehend the concept of "if you don't believe in it, then don't participate in it." They don't understand that if my decision don't directly affect anyone else, then it's no one else's business. They have a burning need to control the personal private lives of others, and to force everyone else to not just see their point of view, but to believe as they do. They just are incapable of making the distinction between "I don't approve of homosexuality, therefore, it's my duty to extinguish them" and "I don't approve, so I will choose not to do it."

I get reviled pretty frequently on this site for expressing those very views.

17. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:

God Flashy, you are my brethren.

Takes two sides to argue, takes 3+ to discuss.

18. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    nee libtards and red doper diaper bed wetters.... I'll stop the name calling when it ends here.

19. Flashy

Gold Member

Make that 3.

Wartrac and i were discussing ourselves as social liberals, but economic and foreign policy moree conservative...technically, we are Liberal-LIbertarians. But i myself cannot be totally libertarian with regards to a societal safety net, and i believe we as a great country should always have the safety net of social security etc...

there is no real place for us...and tbh, i wouldn't want a place with the repubs or democrats who embrace only a narrow and intransigient party line.

That's my view on it anyway.

:cool:

20. Flashy

Gold Member

yes exactly!

You know what? I think we should start our own little political party right here on LPSG...just so we can always point to our ideals whenever some of us are accused of being neocons, or repubs etc...

we will formulate a simple and basic platform, and we will invite other LPSG'ers with similar beliefs to join.

We will come up with our platform, and environmental views etc. etc....

that way, we can always differentiate ourselves from either the far right or far left political cronies here...(in a strictly nice and pleasant way of course!)

For example.

we are

-pro-choice
    -pro gay marriage
    - pro legalization of hemp products to replace deforestation
    - pro alternative energy, massive initiatives and private incentives for the development of hydro and solar and wind power...also, high speed mag-lev train system and a beginning construction of future national rail system
    - pro a mandated pre tax yearly fee by all taxpayers of 10$ to insure that our citizens that have served in the military are always, first and foremonst taken care of with the necessary health care and support they need throughout their lives.
    - Heavily Increased sin taxes on tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana(legalized) the proceeds of which to create a nationalized yearly health care plan for the Uninsured...those who can afford private health care, should in no way be interefered with.
    - Abolition of the inheritance tax
    - abolition of the ability of the Repubs and democrats to keep other parties out of the debates by using percentages etc.
    - No restrictions on gay adoption

and of course many others

shall we? :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted