University/College Hazings

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by uncutcock22, Jan 10, 2008.

1. uncutcock22

uncutcock22 New Member

Albums:
    Searched the forum but I didn't find anything about it. I just entered university and haven't seen anything for myself but I've definatley heard of it. What do you guys think, funny or mean? Did you take part or were you hazed? Ever witnessed one?

2. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    University hazings definitely exist alright. Unfortunately, fraternities and sororities have incorporated aspect of physical abuse into their initiation rituals over the years/decades. University governing board have forbidden the practice on/near campuses since deaths have occurred. Be assured that most of the national headquarters of Greek organizations have also explicitly forbidden hazing since it exposes the entire organization to liability. Few matters are worse than a young student who died during the process of a foolish undergraduate prank.

As an undergraduate, I never felt the need to belong to a fraternity or similar social organization. In fact, at the university I attended, Greek organizations were not officially recognized, and the number of students participating in off-campus organizations was marginal. Some people join because it helps them feel more integrated into the campus life i.e. "safety in numbers" and a sense of structure.

Let me advise that 1st year students not rush into Greek culture/life. Take time to get oriented with campus life, to find a set of friends (as fluid as that may be), and to have sense of stability.

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Frat hazings and initiation "pranks" have been around forever. My dad used to tell me about some of the more outrageous examples of such things back when he was in college in the 50s.

Even at a very young age I appreciated the homoerotic/SM edge to such things.

4. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

When I was at UTexas it was illegal but, it still went on, just not to the degree of past hazings.

5. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    wanna "haze" me Bbucko......live out those fanatasies?

6. B_AZBiGuy

B_AZBiGuy New Member

I wrote out a long-winded reply and upon re-reading it thought, "They're not gonna get it."

That's the truth... unless you're a member of that organization you don't fully understand. And I'm talking about non-life threatening/non-physically scarring initiation rituals.

Done with consideration and care, these rituals are what forge bonds stronger than friendship. But I do agree that maybe first year students don't immediately rush a Greek organization. It's important to have that time to yourself first.

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    You might be one of the few who'd bear the brunt of a full-on "hungry wolf" attack and not want to sue me afterwards :tongue:

Better look out...I'm skilled with a paddle.

8. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    you certainly know how to sweet talk a fella..:cool:(only a paddle?)

9. uncutcock22

uncutcock22 New Member

Albums:
    Yah I'm talking about the fun non-violent hazings, like everyone going streaking, or flashing yourself in front of someone, that kind of stuff. I heard on my campus that one of the fraternities did an initiation/hazing which involved the new members being blindfolded and stripping then told to do some...ahem....interesting things ha ha, I had heard that they were told that women were in the room and whoever could get off fastest at the thought of the women in the room won....little did they know that they were simply being watched by the frat members and their friends and gf's lol

10. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Anything and everything, by todays definitions, are considered "hazing." I am a member of a fraternity and I currently serve as the National President of our organization. Each organization has a risk management policy which strickly prohibits hazing. Organizations must produce this policy to a campus before it can begin a process or colonization, if they are not present on a campus. If they are, then they still must submit annual Risk Management Policies that explicity have a clause regarding hazing. Additionally, most universities now require organizations to have a $1M liability policy inplace prior to initiations, too. Likewise, insurance companies are requiring Greek organizations to produce their Risk Management Policy and the clause regarding hazing as well.

So, what is hazing? Being a big-brother, I cannot ask a recruit to get me a glass of water, even if he is up getting water. Hazing. We cannot tell recruits they cannot wear certain "colors" during their process. Hazing. We cannot require recruits to participate in traditional practices. Hazing. I cannot wear "colors" if I am a brother and assisting other brothers with the pledging process. Hazing. The list could go on. However, we do know there are elements to processes, those of us who are Greek, that will go on. That is implied.

I agree with the others that 1st year students should not rush Greek organizations. Your acculumation to the university, your transition from HS to college and your maturity will definitely have to be strong in order to be successful in this endeavor as well as your academic endeavors. I wish all Greek orgs would mandate that students without at least a 1st semester GPA would not be eligible to rush. This gives both the student and the organization an opportunity to evaluate the potential of their success in the initiation.

11. B_AZBiGuy

B_AZBiGuy New Member

Great response Avg...

Draft saved Draft deleted