Unlike Predecessor, Barack can Apologize.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pym, Feb 3, 2009.

1. pym

pym New Member

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I think that be some of dat "Accountability" shit the prez was talking about.
    Curious to see the responses from the usual haters on this one. Let me go get a bunch of umbrellas ready. :biggrin:

3. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Saying he was wrong is the best thing I've ever heard Obama say. But then again, if he really believed that then he would have removed Daschle from consideration BEFORE he was nominated...because he already knew about Daschle's tax problems during the vetting process... but of course no one is making an issue of this...because the media is in his ASSSSS. So in reality, Obama is only sorry he got caught trying to nominate a tax dodger. Just another typical scumbag dipshit lying fucking chicago politician. AND AND AND, how can he make this apology about daschle and then still Keep Geithner around?????

#3 B_24065, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    No, 24065, he did not. Vetting can only uncover what is shown on public records, interviews and questionaires and the vast majority of Daschle's unpaid taxes were due to the car and driver he had for 3 years which he failed to disclose to Barack's administration until after he'd been nominated. So the president and his team were working with what they had; the admission of accoutability is therefor genuine, honest and forthright. Please, give credit where credit is due.

"...typical scumbag dipshit lying fucking chicago poli..." Your command of the English language is not only staggering but is rapidly making you my new least favorite person.

And I don't even think we've met.

#4 B_Nick8, Feb 3, 2009
  5. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Thats irrelevant. obama should have removed Daschle the second after finding out. Instead he insisted he would stand by Daschle despite his tax problems. Only when he realized that support was quickly falling for daschle did Obama kick him to the curb and say he was sorry. There's no fucking integrity in that. Just another politician, doing what the political winds dictate he do.

6. 3664shaken

3664shaken New Member

From the article:

“Today was an embarrassment for us,” Obama said. He said he was “angry,” “disappointed” and “frustrated with myself” over the Daschle episode.

If Preisdent Obama thinks not paying taxes is an “embarrassment” and he is “angry,” “disappointed” and “frustrated with myself” over appointing a tax-dodger then don’t you think he should fire Timothy Geithner?

Seems rather hypocritical if you ask me.

Didn’t they both make simple mistakes, oh no they didn’t, Geithner signed a statement saying that he HAD to pay taxes on the income he received, but simply forgot. Daschle could have easily not known about this requirement. He never had to pay taxes when using government vehicles, so I believe he has a much better ignorance defense then Geithner, the new boss over the IRS

Either ignore the fact that some people don’t pay taxes OR get “angry” over it and not allow anyone on your cabinet that doesn’t pay taxes.

Hypocrisy or a purely political decision, either way you slice it, it sure doesn’t seem to ring true with “change” mantra.

Hard Lefty’s Flame Away – it will make you feel better
    XOXOXOXOXO

7. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Au contraire. Your own quote makes it absolutely non-irrelevant (that's not a double negative; I used it for effect). Moreover, all indications were that Daschle would still have been approved, if with some difficulty. Barack chose not to sully the administration with that brush, though, and/or to hand his detractors (care to imagine who in this group those might be?) any unnecessary ammo, and so let him go, most probably to the detriment of what Tom might have more easily and expeditiously accomplished than whomever it is who will serve in his stead.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Sure... the second he found out. Riiiiiiiiiiight.
    Whereas other administrations would have hid this information, hired him anyhow and then allowed the scandal to brew for a couple of years until it was "accidently" leaked out into the public.

This isn't a game of D&D, so stop with the Lawful, Goody Goody routine. It ain't fooling anyone.

9. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Dude, whether it came out in the vetting process (as i originally understood, but i may be wrong here) or after his nomination was announced, Obama still stood by this guy and tried to get this tax-dodger nominated. Just what is Obama appologizing for? That he stood by and tried to nominate a known tax-dodger???...thats change we can believe in. Bottom line, the only reason Obama is sorry is because it caused a political stink. If it were because of the ethics of thing, he would have nixed him when he found out about it.

10. Khana

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Obama is a politician... a good one, methinks, but a politician nonetheless. He has no choice but to work with the tools he's been given.

Honestly, imagine if he were to try to only hire perfectly (as VinylBoy put it) Lawful Good people, who never lie, never evade taxes, never make mistakes, etc.

The White House would be empty.

It's not "Oh, choose the best of all these perfect people!" It's, "Ok, which of these is the compromise that will best benefit America?" Obviously, initially Obama thought this guy was a good compromise. Now, he apparently regrets that stance, and has decided he's Not a good compromise.

Expecting Obama to pull perfect politicians out of his rear is ridiculous. I commend him on his willingness to acknowledge his mistakes publicly, instead of hiding behind the normal political routine.

11. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

For this president to make ANY acknowledgement of error is a vast improvement on the clown who held the office before him.

And Obama also acknowledged before his administration began that it would make mistakes. How's that for candor?

#11 B_RedDude, Feb 3, 2009
  12. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

My point is his apology (and this thread) has no equity whatsoever because he only apologized AFTER it blew up in his face politically. As early as yesterday he was still stumping for the daschle appointment. I thought this turkey was gonna come in and clean up washington? When are you libs gonna drop the Euphoria and realize the guys a fucking illusion created by the imagination of the left? So far its been 14 days and its been nothing but controversy after controversy. First blago, then richardson, then geinther, then that nancy chick, now daschle, and.....i think im leaving someone out. Had this been the first two weeks of McCains or Romneys admin, You all would be calling them the most corrupt administration ever, moving to impeach.

And please spare us the line of shit saying that these controversies are due to the "high ethical bar" set by this president in hopes of recreating washington. These controversies are about illegally recieving campaign money (Richardson) and tax-dodging (the rest). Hell, Obama has more appointment contoversies in his first 2 weeks then Bush had in 8 years.

13. pym

pym New Member

I did'nt think it could be possible.......The LPSG politics forum has now got 2 {count em' 2 !!}even bigger and louder BLOWHARDS than even STAR INVESTOR could ever hope to be. Between this clod{24065} and BI-IN-SOCAL.........this place has really gone to shit.
    And i am also certain that at this point it is OFFICIAL: This forum has WAY more Right-wingers than Liberals. On a WEB-site like this!!:eek:
    What is it about a big-dick web-site that attracts SO MANY of these types? In every other walk of life, such folk shun and condemn such bastions of LIBERALISM as these type web-sites.
    Did they miss the premise? It's about BIG DICKS.....NOT being a BIG DICK.
    Those of you who want to entertain these jerks with replys......good luck.
    It just is not worth the time or effort to de-bunk these people.

14. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Most liberals have small dicks?

15. midlifebear

Gold Member

Of course, PYM, you are correct. But sometimes it's just too much fun to stick the starinvestor-24065-bi_in_social triplets with pointy sticks because the are so quick to spit the vitriol and accuse everyone else to be stupid, full of lies and then they throw rocks and stuff. :biggrin1:

16. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Look, when all is said and done here, I'm struck by how Obama looked Brian Williams in the eye and said "I screwed up".

"I screwed up" is something that sounds surreal coming out of a president's mouth after the Bush years.

--------------------

From MSNBC:

“I appointed these folks. I think they are outstanding people. I think Tom Daschle, as an example, could have led this health care effort, a difficult effort, better than just about anybody. But as he acknowledged, it was a mistake. I don’t think it was intentional on his part, but it was a serious mistake. He owned up to it and ultimately made a decision that we couldn’t afford the distraction.”

Obama added, “I've got to own up to my mistake. Ultimately, it’s important for this administration to send a message that there aren’t two sets of rules, one for prominent people and one for ordinary folks who have to pay their taxes.”

--------------------

I feel confident that this is a president who can level with the american people.

This is a president who has the capacity and wherewithal to see when he's been misled by neo-cons, say. Who can admit that a war is a mistake - should he find himself misled by neocons & intelligence - and not let it drag on and on for years vainly saying "We're makin' progress!"

GWB: "I understand why the American people are -- you know, they're tired of the war. There is -- people are -- there is a war fatigue in America. It's affecting our psychology. I've said this before. I understand that this is an ugly war... but we're making progress!"

After a while we all got wise to (and tired of) the reverse Chicken Little speeches. We just stopped believing his perpetual claims of sunny skies in Iraq.

17. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Maybe the real question should be "Why didn't these guys pay the taxes they owed when they were supposed to pay them in the first place?"

Carelessness?, irresponsibility?, arrogance?

I am pretty much on the liberal side of things here, but to be fair, can anyone come up with a Republican nominee who had problems like this?

#17 B_RedDude, Feb 3, 2009
  18. pym

pym New Member

The Republicans generally spend there entire tenure ransacking the national treasury while in office. Judging from the last 8 years.
    They don't just try to fuck over the IRS....with them it's a NATIONAL fuck-over.

19. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm old enough to remember George McGovern saying, "I'm behind Tom Eagleton one thousand per cent." (For those who don't know, Eagleton, the Democratic nominee for the vice presidency in 1972, was replaced on the ticket after his history of psychiatric treatment became known -- though only after McGovern made the statement that I quoted.) So when I read that Obama had said that he "absolutely" stood behind Tom Daschle, I had a sinking feeling.

20. transformer_99

Gold Member

It's all good, he collected $ 140K from Daschle for tax evasion (unpaid taxes and penalties) ! Get enough of these turds in for job interviews, maybe we won't need any more bailouts ?

Draft saved Draft deleted